Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I know this forum is for prepping. I prep! And I think about safety and well being quite a bit. But now I'm on this cusp. I don't want to live in a cubicle for the next 25 years. 25 to 30 years is a lot of years until retirement. So I have been mulling over quite a bit about a career path change.

I want to help people, my community, increase awareness and keep my neighbourhood safe. So I keep coming back to the same conclusion. I need to get into the police service. I want to become an officer. I want to serve my community.

But I have no idea how. I know it's different in different places. But I guess is what I really need to know, or want to know, is what experienced LEO's have had to do to get into their respective forces.

I have a clean record, a clean driving record, I can pass a background check with bonus points. I have a great credit rating. My credit card is sitting at 0. I think the biggest hurdle will be the physical fitness tests. So I need to start there. What do I need to be able to do, successfully and with authority.

I don't expect anyone to have right answer for me, but any information regarding this profession is a plus.

Cheers and thanks in advance to the responders!

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I've had the same thought myself but came to the realization that the LEO ship has sailed for me. Especially now, as I'm mending from a rotator cuff surgery and coming up on 46.

I wish you much luck and will be watching this thread with great interest.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hi all,

I know this forum is for prepping. I prep! And I think about safety and well being quite a bit. But now I'm on this cusp. I don't want to live in a cubicle for the next 25 years. 25 to 30 years is a lot of years until retirement. So I have been mulling over quite a bit about a career path change.

I want to help people, my community, increase awareness and keep my neighbourhood safe. So I keep coming back to the same conclusion. I need to get into the police service. I want to become an officer. I want to serve my community.

But I have no idea how. I know it's different in different places. But I guess is what I really need to know, or want to know, is what experienced LEO's have had to do to get into their respective forces.

I have a clean record, a clean driving record, I can pass a background check with bonus points. I have a great credit rating. My credit card is sitting at 0. I think the biggest hurdle will be the physical fitness tests. So I need to start there. What do I need to be able to do, successfully and with authority.

I don't expect anyone to have right answer for me, but any information regarding this profession is a plus.

Cheers and thanks in advance to the responders!
LE is a young mans game, so if not under the age of 30?35?, the boat sailed. Granted there are exceptions to every rule, but in general. If I could have figured out how to combine aviation with LE, I might have had what I thought was the ultimate career for myself. I have a BA in Criminal Justice and a Commercial MEI Pilot certs. I drive commercial bus. I took the State Police exam and was scored in the second tier group. Not good enough.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The pay cut would be large but I'm at a point where that isn't important. I'm not out of shape but would need to work on my cardio. I'm not overly aggressive but would never back down. I don't think they can discriminate based on age however I need to be able to compete with those younger than myself. I'm in good physical condition but would need to train hard for this. It's the type of training and where to put my focus I would need to know.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Awesome, and I wish you the best. Keep us updated.
At forty one, I'm too old to switch professions, but have thought about doing some mma.
Maybe krav maga. Spelling may be off.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome, and I wish you the best. Keep us updated.
At forty one, I'm too old to switch professions, but have thought about doing some mma.
Maybe krav maga. Spelling may be off.
With the new age of retirement bumped to 70 I think you may be selling yourself short! But thanks for the kind words. I can see something like MMA being a younger man's sport. But I may be over the this hill.

What is the FD? Sorry not sure on that one!

·
RIP Johnny
179 Posts
30 years ago when I went through the academy the physical requirements to pass was as follows:
1. 1.75 miles in 12 minutes (distance, I believe, based on age) or 5 miles in 50 minutes
2. a minimum amount of pull ups and sit ups in a set time
3. bench press and leg press a certain weight, based on body weight.

I am not sure of what all is required now, but that gives you something to start with. Have you considered trying out for the police reserves if your local agencies has them? There you can get training and job experiences and then can better determine if police work is for you. Some departments will give more consideration to reserves when it comes to hiring full time. Good luck with your decision and welcome to the brotherhood if you take the leap. One final piece of advice, Remember the badge and gun gives power, but your actions which earns respect is the ultimate power.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I grew up and served in the Central Valley of California. Still own a home there and hang out there most of the time. Taught at a police academy until Dec 31 of this past year and retired a second time. Those who noted it's a young man's game are right, and it would be hard for a 35+ to break in at the ground level. Here is my advice.

1). Get in tip top shape, mile under six minutes, lift, and a little martial arts won't hurt,
2). Get some low cost college units at a JC and focus on writing skills, languages, and social sciences / CJ at least intro
3). Start looking at the closest LE jobs to you, min qualifications, test requirements, etc.

Look up San Francisco PD. Not because you want to go but because they have it easy so their standards are hi...they start at $82k annual and after 20 years you'll probably have $100k annual retirement If you grow while there. Just an FYI. Stockton, CA can't hire, has lowered its standards, and is going to pay mid 40's to start.

Here is the key! Find an agency that will hire you as a recruit and pay you to go thru an academy. Don't buy your way thru as too many do!

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LOL Ripon, cops out here make about 30k. But they have it easy compared to those in the urban jungle.
Constable level one makes about 90. There are only 4 levels. I see that as obtainable. But I may be living a dream right now. All I know is a cube is not what I want for the next 25 or 30 years. Even if I won the lottery I would still want to pursue this.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
A good friend, former partner at a small town PD, left for LAPD. As a young, single, mercenary he was taking in $130-140k annual with overtime. He was there 5-6 years and came home and paid cash for a house. I know he wasn't there six years and his LAPD pension kicked in with $1120 a month at age 50.

LOL Ripon, cops out here make about 30k. But they have it easy compared to those in the urban jungle.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
midtnfamilyguy and I have lived this for well over 25 years together. He has covered me and I him. He is completely right in what he says. I would add that you should consider things that some people don't think about. Can you take a life? Can you risk yours with no regard for personal safety? Can you bury your own biases, opinions and emotions to be a true servant? Can you tell a child that their mother just died from a drug overdose? Can you tell a mother that her child just died? Can you watch helplessly as another human breathes their last breath? Can you go home and tell your wife it was a quiet shift after you watched a friend kill himself? Can you duck as you are being called every vile name in the book while bottles and rocks are being thrown at you? Can you maintain your composure and handcuff a suspect who just raped an 8 year old and punched you in the face? and finally, can you do it for terrible benefits, lousy retirement and $15.00 an hour?

If so, press hard three copies, we need you.

·
Administrator
14,680 Posts
I have two family members who are LEO. Neither had military experience, but most of their academy classmates did.
I have seen videos of the 6 month Florida Wildlife Conservation training, and those guys and gals were physically worked as hard as US Army Basic Combat Infantry Training was in 1968. If you are not in very good shape, you will have big problems.
The other family member is what many smaller departments are going to now - cross trained responders. Besides police, he is a certified fireman and EMT.
It is a noble profession, but personally I would not have the mental detachment to behave in the manner that CSI described so well above.

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
9,050 Posts
Damn, CSI.
Exactly what came out of my mouth too.

I've long considered it, but never pulled the trigger.
Most of CSI's post is why.
I like the idea of helping people, and stopping the wolves from tearing apart the sheep.
However, I cannot stand by and watch justice go unserved. I cannot temper my reaction to evil.
When officers become judge, jury, and executioner (ala Judge Dredd), then I'll sign up.
I'm a good soul, but evil is evil, and must be dealt with swiftly and righteously. There is no good excuse for prolonging its existence.

Reactions: Hemi45

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
It is just very important that people know exactly what they might encounter in this career. As a field training Officer I told every new recruit that if, at any point, you decide that this job is not for you there is no shame in quitting. It's just better for you and the Department and by extension the citizens. I know it sucks but this stuff will probably happen to them at one or many points in a career. It is not the same job it once was and more often than not we are the bad guy today. God bless anyone who wants to do it, but make an informed decision. We don't need people that want to get even for being picked on in High school and we have plenty of high speed, "tacticool" cops. We need good, decent honest people who care. The problem is that people like that get jaded or thought that everyone else is fundamentally like them.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts