Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I searched for a show me your knife thread, couldn't find it - is it ok if I start one? If one is already started a mod can consolidate.

This one is from an old man in our area who made his own Damascus steel blades. He retired, said it wore him out, too old. Here is one of a handful I bought from him. I have given a few out for gifts over the years.

Sorry for all the hair in the picture, this is also my Fly Tying area.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
s-l1600.jpg

I have one of these, a Sharpfinger, I paid about $20 for it.
The site where I grabbed this pic from, has some listed at nearly $75. So somebody out there has popped their cork, and spilled out their brains.

Reactions: stevekozak

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Yes, there is a knife section notice at the bottom of the list--at least that's where I looked last.

But consider this. The "knife guys" are some of the most helpful folks on this segment. Just ask, and someone will politely steer you in the right direction.

Of course, we will use humor if it helps...

·
Administrator
14,690 Posts
View attachment 111701

I have one of these, a Sharpfinger, I paid about $20 for it.
The site where I grabbed this pic from, has some listed at nearly $75. So somebody out there has popped their cork, and spilled out their brains.
The expensive ones might be original Schrades, made in America with American steel.
Schrade went bankrupt about 20 years ago, the ones wearing the name today are Chinese. They are good steel considering it's Chinese, I own a dozen or so different Schrades and Imperials.

·
Administrator
14,690 Posts
I collect knives like I collect guns.
Bayonets and fighting knives are my favorite.

Lately, being an old dude, and realizing that time is getting short, I’ve been buying quality. Case, Utica Cutlery (both USA made) German made pocket knives, and thinking about getting into Scandinavian fixed blades.

Tourist, aka Chico, gifted me with a Tops folder, and their fixed blades really float my boat. But living on fixed income with limited discretionary funds it’s hard to rationalize spending $200 for a blade. They are American made, and the company was started to supply military personnel going down range. My kind of company.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
My pictures are coming. I ran out of the "electricity" that fuels my camera, and I'll have some tomorrow--I hope...

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
The expensive ones might be original Schrades, made in America with American steel.
Schrade went bankrupt about 20 years ago, the ones wearing the name today are Chinese. They are good steel considering it's Chinese, I own a dozen or so different Schrades and Imperials.
I went back to the site and looked, and the knife was vintage. Which is a different market altogether from new.

I will say this, the Chinese-made Sharpfinger that I bought has good steel in it, and the sheath is excellent too. It is made with very nice leather

Reactions: rice paddy daddy

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a good friend who has one of the original's and he is always on the look out for them.

·
Administrator
14,690 Posts
I went back to the site and looked, and the knife was vintage. Which is a different market altogether from new.

I will say this, the Chinese-made Sharpfinger that I bought has good steel in it, and the sheath is excellent too. It is made with very nice leather
Most Chinese blades are 420 or 440 stainless, Schrade and their other brand Imperial use a chrome moly steel. I'm by no means a steel expert, but I do know that Schrades will take a much better edge than 440.
There is one in my pocket at this moment. An Imperial trapper.

Reactions: LetsGo

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
here is a Case knife my favorite daughter gave me for Christmas a few years ago. I love her so much; but I didn't have the heart to tell her I have about a 5-gallon bucket full of them. :tango_face_smile:

case knife.jpg

·
Administrator
14,690 Posts
here is a Case knife my favorite daughter gave me for Christmas a few years ago. I love her so much; but I didn't have the heart to tell her I have about a 5-gallon bucket full of them. :tango_face_smile:

View attachment 111727
I'm slowly building my Case collection. Without going to look, I think I have around 10 right now.
Last payday I bought a Case Sod Buster Junior, with yellow delrin scales and chrome vanadium steel, not stainless. I prefer carbon steel over stainless.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts