Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few ideas so far for my new BOV that I thought I would have everyone weigh in on. ::redsnipe::
1: (my fav so far) a full sized diesel pickup, preferably a HD dually or just HD like a 3500, a 2500 or work truck.
loadout: slide-in camper with my bug out gear, food preps, water containers, fishing gear, guns and ammo, queen bed, TV, radio, CB, lp gas, ammo can stove mod, AC, personal computer and PA system. They make popups, slide-outs and everything like this. My pal bugoutvehicles on youtube built one and it would be a Camelot on the hill for me in this woody state. Shit I would like it MUCH better than my house.
I would install solar generators, water catches / filtration, a laptop and some security proximity alarms and maybe even some lights.

2: Honda pilot rigged to the teeth like my CR-V was, converted to a sleepable BOV
loadout: Lift kit, mickey Thompson AT tires, winch, brush gate like a locomotive (custom) tow rings, fishing gear, bug out survival gear container, reserve fuel jerry cans, roof rack basket, crash bars, CB radio, GPS, bed, ammo and food storage, portable stove, day bug out bag, spotlamp, bug out trailer or towable shelter

3: RV converted as above

4: UNIMOG converted to a bug out vehicle

5: tahoe full size converted as similar

·
Registered
693 Posts
What about a Jeep Cherokee from the late 90's these have considerable less electronics and hold up pretty good, plus being older they shouldn't cost an arm and a leg.
I like the truck idea, but I would put a fullsize topper on the back, and have a tow hitch for a pull behind trailer/camper.
Will be fun to watch what you get and the mods you do to it!

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
UNIMOG!!!! OMG, that is soooo cool! But, you would get terrible gas mileage. You could get two (a UNIMOG and a CRV).

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't do full sized pull behind, they arent nimble enough for shtf. Only a slide in will work imho. I and Hank have two campers already

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE

Looking for a Toyota FJ Cruiser to do some stuff with, if I can't get my hands on one the Honda ridgeline or pilot will be my standby cars. Any ideas on the BOV loadouts because the ridgeline wont take a standard size slide in camper.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Leon said:
UPDATE

Looking for a Toyota FJ Cruiser to do some stuff with, if I can't get my hands on one the Honda ridgeline or pilot will be my standby cars. Any ideas on the BOV loadouts because the ridgeline wont take a standard size slide in camper.
Nice, I love the FJ's, and was going to get one, but the gas prices went up. :cry:

I looked up a slideout for the tent on the ridgelines, but there are not that many. They do have those that are universal though, but cost is about $300 for them and I didn't know if you wanted to use the tent you currently have. I saw one on a ridgeline that had pvc pipes and they made their own tent, but if money is good, then of course I would get a good tent. I'm interested where your going to store your jerry cans at in the bov... that is something I want to do on the crv without having fumes choke me to death. Have you thought about undercoating your new BOV? sharp looking and will last you forever if you do. Just a thought. I saw the post about the solar panels for your bov today, awesome. You'll have to drive it up to Kentucky when you get it all setup to visit!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Hey Leon,
How did you like the CRV, I'm looking for something that would be good offroad, and they have one in my city with the "offroad" package, but I've been skeptical on AWD vs 4wd. I plan on going to Colorado this summer for a hiking trip and would like to have a vehicle that can make it along with my bro in laws Grand Cherokee (which is getting old and unreliable)....

So just wondering how you would rate it on 1-10 for offroading (if you have experience with that)

Gracias, how's the recovery coming?

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
acidlittle said:
Hey Leon,
How did you like the CRV, I'm looking for something that would be good offroad, and they have one in my city with the "offroad" package, but I've been skeptical on AWD vs 4wd. I plan on going to Colorado this summer for a hiking trip and would like to have a vehicle that can make it along with my bro in laws Grand Cherokee (which is getting old and unreliable)....

So just wondering how you would rate it on 1-10 for offroading (if you have experience with that)

Gracias, how's the recovery coming?
Oh I'm getting along nicely just trying to keep the biofeedback up. I am getting around my house on just my arms now, working the upper body all buff :D

Ok CR-V talk, sure let's see. To start I'll say I wasn't the only one who loved the idea of the CR-V crossover bug out vehicle. I had the only one on YT as far as I know, a cop called mixflip loved the idea and got a rav-4 to do something like it. Glockwork9 and me used it extensively to explore dawson forest and pine log wma. During running it through it's paces I really have to say that knowing how to use it, it got me into some stuff I would dare a jeep to go. It was very small and had a great angle of approach and departure. The suspension was ample and the car was reliable as hell not to mention easy on gas. It was comfortable, had a good stereo, plenty of power outlets and lots of cool extras like the underfloor ice bin and fold out table.

The AWD was funny but mostly it never used it much. When it would kick in it was a big help. It would indeed crawl through mud well, to make the AWD come on at all you have to spin the front tires. you will get a kind of gutless but steady push from the back wheels that will get the fronts back to gripping something very smoothly. The overall car off the road was way more capable than it looked.
[youtube:3ognosw7]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TarH0jn4LU[/youtube:3ognosw7] at 5:00 or so you'll see just how easy it climbed a very soft and steep hill over ruts and all that

The only two things about that car that could have been better were the lack of a low range transfer case, and the fact the body was unibody and it didn't have much hood length. That was a big one. In a head on wreck (can happen out of the blue- i'm living proof) it didn't hold up too well and broke both my legs not to mention the windshield threw glass powder all over me. This was a bad wreck though in the worst case scenario realm. BUT in hindsight if that was an f-150 I would have walked the rest of the way home that night.

To be completely honest though I have seen CR-V's hang with stuff like little jeeps off road. Check this out. [youtube:3ognosw7]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um2Ewp9X-vM[/youtube:3ognosw7]

I would say to Survival that if you're looking for a spot to stow a jerry can, install a cargo basket on the roof or relocate the spare to the cargo area and mount the hangar to the rear door.

off road rating I would have given it a 6/10 solid. It's an easy to drive light off road SUV that's way better than any 2wd car or light pickup. That's my two cents, if you know what it is and how to treat it you'll get a lot of bang for your bucks.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Great idea on the cargo basket. I was looking at the one you showed me (thule), just haven't got around to getting it as of yet. Your exactly right on when you want the awd to kick in is the bad part for me. It leaves me with a sense of "I need help now!". Although, there has not been a place that I couldn't get out as of yet, so I give the CRV a thumbs up!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Can you say SOLD! I have 2 I'm going to look at next week!

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well when you go to see them keep some things in mind:
avoid any ticking engines or valve noises
01 was the best of the gen -1 machines
avoid any sort of body damage
make sure its had its timing belt done at 150k
avoid anything with a leak
heat dmg on engine parts
any creaking rattling jingling or tapping sounds anywhere
any form of smoking at cold startup
doors or seam lines that don/t quite line up, panels out of shape or overspray
burnt smelling trans fluid, old oil, deposits under oil cap or mucky radiator water
any vibration from transmission or failure of the kick down to shift when pedal is gunned
repetitive clicking when sharply turned
squeals from the rearend during awd or vibration

[youtube:2rqeqgfh]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKypyx6Dzb0[/youtube:2rqeqgfh]

·
Registered
693 Posts
Yeah, I've had a few hondas in my day (3 actually) I would like to think I have a decent eye for em, but You have some very valid points, I'm looking at an 06 with 60k on it for about 15000. If it's still there next week we shall take her for a drive!

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, the verdict is in. The new project BOV is an 07 Toyota FJ cruiser 4X4 with differential lock, roof rack and towing options. It has slightly wider wheels and all the mud mats too. ::redsnipe::

So far I need a CB and a whip, don't think the other one survived the wreck. Who else has some ideas for me? Things to keep in mind are that it has a roof rack, all sorts of special cargo containers in back and it even has two built-in DC inverters with their own wall outlets. Millions of possibilities with that one.

Overall it drives like a damn bradley fighting vehicle or something, they really got the ride perfect on and off road. Turns out it was bought new not far from here and driven by RESPONSIBLE adults, it's super well taken care of. Check it out:

[youtube:2xiviw19]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-kSCAArk7s[/youtube:2xiviw19]

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Salvaged most of the gear from my old CR-V, went into the FJ without a hitch. Now I need the CB and an antenna and to work out how they'll fit optimally. I stored the table, chair, day pack, air compressor, socket set, screwdrivers, wrench, roadside kit, tow ropes, winch and fluids in the containers the car has stock. Life vests and hats go in back seat and the gas cans may be replaced with a jerry can if I can find one. The water tank will be a tricky one to do right. If you have any suggestions pls give me your ideas on what to address next. She does have the towing package so hitch adapter items are always on the table.

[youtube:1msfazsq]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mZh7y_79GE[/youtube:1msfazsq]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts