Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
621 Total Servings of Lentils Emergency Food Bucket By Shelf Reliance® THRIVE?

They were gone for a while, but they are back. At $75 a bucket its still only .13 cents a serving (though a serving probably needs to be doubled) this
to me is one of the "best buys" in preparedness.

If I only had a $130 to spend the lentils and the white rice would be great long term fillers to go with what ever you can harvest/shoot/trap
380 Total Servings White Rice 42 lb. Bucket Emergency Food Storage By Shelf Reliance® THRIVE?

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No problem, and though its not reported on the pages outlining these products they do still have free shipping.
I wasn't sure for a big - thought maybe that was another inflationary hit. But its still there. I've pick up a
temp job next week to make a little extra for the .308 ammo but I'm probably going to make that $130 order
too.

·
Super Moderator
9,216 Posts
The packaging is nice but the internal aluminized mylar bad runs maybe $2.00 or less, and i get food grde buckets from bakery for $0.50. Oxygen absorbers are maybe another $0.50 each

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Visited a Costco on Monday and enjoyed my walk through very much. If I were not prepped and needed everything but guns it would be where I'd go. They did have a 25lb bag of white rice at 9.87 a bag. You could get two of those into one of those 6 gallon buckets I'm sure, bags, oxygen obsorbers - but no gaurantee on how long it'd last. At least with the expensive stuff I' confident in it 12 years from now - the stuff I'd do - not so much.

·
Banned
1,895 Posts
621 Total Servings of Lentils Emergency Food Bucket By Shelf Reliance® THRIVE?

They were gone for a while, but they are back. At $75 a bucket its still only .13 cents a serving (though a serving probably needs to be doubled) this
to me is one of the "best buys" in preparedness.

If I only had a $130 to spend the lentils and the white rice would be great long term fillers to go with what ever you can harvest/shoot/trap
380 Total Servings White Rice 42 lb. Bucket Emergency Food Storage By Shelf Reliance® THRIVE?
Still looks a little pricey, you are paying extra for the bucket, if you don't need the air seal, you could pay far less unless you want the long shelf life.

50 cents a pound is around what I am use to paying, and this is like $1.50/pound. The benefit is the 25 year life span, I don't really plan for long term storage much nothing much over 3 years, as anything that has me needing emergency food for more than 3 years is pretty damn serious. spending $10 on 10kg of lentils should do me for a few months. These seem a little expensive I think you could DIY for less here simply by buying the lentils and a airtight bucket to put them in.. still not bad but I'm thinking it could be done for less.

Same for the rice a 8kg bag of rice should cost less than $10 so 42 lbs is like less than $30.. something not right with those prices.

prices for these products are like atleast 2x what you can get the product for.. any extra price is for the container imo.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will remember too they deliver without added charge - so that is clearly built into the cost. I actually do not stock a lot of long term food because I have the capacity to grow lots of veggies and obtain lots of meat. There are two things I have not explored growing - rice and lentils or any like bean. My understanding on rice is that it takes a large supply of water which I don't have - well I might - but its debatable. My land is in the desert region of the NW Nevada territory and its more arable then most think and there are springs, creeks and such every where but I have not explored the water supply necessary for an acre or two of rice / beans. Hence I do buy them for very long term storage (both) and to be sure they will be good for 25 years matters to me. Shortly after that I'll be taking a dirt nap anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.