Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one bolt gun, a right handed .223, and I'm left handed. I've gotten accustomed to shooting a right handed gun, however, I'm looking to buy either a .270 or .308 and am considering getting a left handed rifle. I would think the resale of a left handed bolt gun would be more difficult since the majority of people are right handed. And, one of the advantages of a right handed bolt is my finger doesn't have to leave the trigger. Over the years I've grown accustomed to shooting a right handed rifle, just wondering if there is any real advantage to a left handed bolt.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I'm a left handed shooter and I can't get used to a left handed bolt gun because I have shot right handed rifles my whole life. I don’t even go for ambidextrous safeties or mag releases on my pistols. I have always made due. I think if I could find a left handed rifle for a decent price I would give it a try but I have never had the opportunity.

·
Administrator
15,422 Posts
I'm a leftie (handed, that is) and I have bolt rifles and bolt shotguns. I decided to spoil myself once and bought a left handed Savage bolt action 22 magnum. I like it, but since most of my firearms were bought used, it's most likely the only one I will ever own.
I prefer revolvers over autos due to the safeties, but it has become second nature to sweep off the safety on a 1911 by reaching around the back of the slide with my left thumb. It's not as awkward as it sounds. (And no, I don't want or need a Glock)

Reactions: trainershawn

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
If you have grown accustom to shooting a right handed gun left handed then I would suggest sticking to buying right handed guns. Number one it worls for you without any undue discomfort. Additionally should you one day decide to seel it then it will be much easier to seel since it will appeal to a wider number of shooters. Also should you need to loan it out to another shooter they will likely be right handed and feel more comfortable using it.

I am a right handed shooter and own a Left handed Remington 1100 shotgun. I have grown accustom to shooting it although I do find the left handed eject in a bit annoying and I sometimes get gun powder residue sprayed back in my face but it hasnt been a big issue. Trying to find guns accessories for it has been a serious pain though. I ended up with this used gun becuase it was in immaculate condition and the price was so cheap I couldnt pass it up, so I bought it. Just something to think about.

·
Administrator
15,422 Posts
Heck, one of my dogs is left handed. (yes, animals can be left or right handed as well)

·
Registered
921 Posts
Left handed people are in their right mind.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm a full blooded southpaw too and left eye dominant.I've never owned any type of left handed guns.I've had and have a couple ambidextrous ones.To me,handguns are the worst at being lefty friendly,mostly right hand safeties and mag releases,but i've always just practiced and familiarized myself with the weapon so that they're not awkward.I also prefer a revolver over an auto too.
Pump shotguns,for me at least,seem almost easier for lefties as the chamber is to my side of view and reach however the downside is I do catch some grit in the face from that.
I have two bolt action rifles and am so used to the bolt being on the right side after so many years that it would definitely be awkward,to me,to have them on the left.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.