Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so that's half tongue in cheek pun because last night was Halloween and its half serious. Here is why.

Every Halloween we have kids trucked in from other neighborhoods. I don't mind that because this is a time for the kiddos to have fun and get out a little. If their neighborhood isn't safe or you can't afford candy or you live in an apartment, that's no reason for you not to have a safe and happy Halloween. If you coming to my neighborhood helps make that happen, I'm all kinds of cool with it.

But more and more in past years the kids are getting older. Use to it was children from 4 to 8. Then from 2 to 10. And then from 0 to 14. And that's about my limit. If you are old enough to drive yourself to the store and buy candy, you shouldn't be out trick or treating. But that's not entirely the point here. Over the last three years we have had whole families from the children to the grandparents out shaking down the neighborhood with huge pillow cases full of candy. Three kids and seven adults looking to have ten bags filled. And they aren't even in costume and they don't even say "Trick or treat." they just shove open bags at us like our candy is really their birth right. No "thank you" either. It feels a lot like they are grocery shopping - and if that is the case, I'd rather drop an MRE in their bag than a bunch of empty calories.

This year we opted out of Halloween at the last minute (family illness). As I was pulling into my subdivision there were so many cars blocking the street you couldn't get in. We were gridlocked and people were bailing out of cars - some of them adults with no kids. All to go trick or treat my neighborhood.

We had people from far off neighborhoods parking in our driveways, turning around in our yards, cutting between houses and running through the landscaping. It was like a swarming plague of people looking for hand outs. Fortunately it all ended well and the neighborhood was relatively clean in the morning.

BUT...! Just one misplaced comment could have turned this event on it's ear in a heart beat. The majority of the families that are trucked in are Hispanic and a lot of the residents feel like they are aiding and abetting illegal immigrants (this is Arizona after all) and I'm sure that some of them were illegal, but most were not. All it would take is a crack from some less than civil neighbor about handing out Form N-400 (Application for Citizenship) instead of candy and it could get bad fast. The neighbors and any LEO would be greatly out-numbered 3 to 1. And that is only over someone being a flippant @$$.

Imagine if there was a real economic collapse. What then? If a group of people (be it completely disrespectful but peaceful) can overrun a neighborhood for a festive event, imagine what they could do if there was malice in their hearts and hunger in their bellies - and that goes for any crowd of any group of the population. There was no coordination last night. This was people just showing up at random. Only a little organization could have made this a very effective raiding party.

Time to wake up folks. In the division between the haves and have nots, those that have - and I mean REALLY HAVE, will be insulated by neighborhoods like mine that are just average middle class neighborhoods and right on the border between have and have not land. Time to harden the house and start looking for more space.

Reactions: PaulS

·
Registered
855 Posts
This is the one good thing about my neighborhood, the houses aren't close enough together for effective trick or treating so everyone in town either goes into the village or to the housing development across town. I think on average we get one family and we didn't see them at all this year.

-Infidel

·
Registered
921 Posts
Darn! When I saw your subject line, I thought you were talking about Obummer and Sebelious on TV. :wink:

·
Registered
965 Posts
Maybe that's why the real rich have been promoting class warfare all these years, singling out folks like you as the "rich". Insulate themselves from what they know is coming with you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts