Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have often thought that one of the most important things that is overlooked is your eye site, in a SHTF situation Glasses and contacts will be a great pain. I wonder how many peppers save there old glasses just in case something happens and you can't get new ones, and contacts only last so long unless you get the glass ones that come with their own problems.
After having Lasik done about two years ago I wish I would have done it earlier, my sight was corrected to 20/15 which isn't unusual, It is so nice to wake up and look across the room and see the clock or go camping and if you hear something in the night you don't have to reach for you glasses or worry about your contacts ever falling out. If you are interested in it most places have a free consolation. I had the consolation then a week later I had the surgery. Now after 2 years I almost forgot what a hassle glasses or contacts were.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Great idea, and not only is this a great prep in case something happens, but finicial issues as well. If someone gets laid off or is struggling to get by, then while they can afford it will offset any financial hardships.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I think it's very smart. I know too many people who are near helpless without their glasses. 2 buddies of mine shooting their rifles always complaining about their glasses moving too and the discomfort. Glasses are so easy to come loose and hamper you too in strenuous activity without a good strap system or perscription googles. I wore them when I was young because so much of my family wears them and it was natural to bring me to get them when it was obvious my vision wasn't great. I hated them and stopped wearing them, constantly pushing my eyes to focus more and more, exercising them and now I don't wear them at all with 20/20 in one eye and 20/30 in the other. What you did is probably one of the best preps you could have I think and may save your life. You still want to protect them though and good sunglasses and googles can be worth there weight in gold.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Its a brilliant surgery! I had it done around 10 years ago.
Before that I was near blind without my glasses.
Now however im 34ish and my eyes are really bad again and getting worse.
I was told I wouldnt need glasses again.
Now that im relying on glasses with my eyesight getting worse im a bit worried mostly because of the state of the world right now anything could happen any time.
I have been trying hard to get the eyes re done for over a year now. Drs annoy me. Basically they can never seem to be bothered to make any effort to help me out here. I asked my optometrist why my eyes are getting bad again and he said 'I dont know probably just a growing thing' ummmm something about that doesnt seem right too me correct me if im wrong but shouldnt I have finished growing in that way a long time ago ? Other than that I consider it a must for survival.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Had surgery a little more than a year ago. No regrets, best thing ever. I had PRK though, but still, I have 20/15 now.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Got mine done in 7yrs ago, love it can't believe I went soo long before getting it done. My wife had hers done about 4yrs ago and she couldn't be happier. Each time we had it covered by flex plan spending.

Now my son needs glasses just to read and watch tv but he insist on wearing them full time even though he doesn't need them because he thinks their cool, (9yr old).. Just like we did since we started wearing glasses we intend to keep his old ones also.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I actually have mono vision now. Several years ago I started needing bifocals and nothing seemed to work right, bifocal contact did not work and bifocal glasses were a real pain trying to get your head at the right angle, I had very good close vision so for reading I would just took my glasses off. So I tried Mono Vision where I wore just one contact in one eye for far vision and nothing in the other eye for close vision like reading, I just heard about this so I didn't have any instructions I just did it that way a few hours one day and a little more the next It didn't take a week before I just wore one contact and I couldn't tell any different from normal vision it worked so good that I decided to see if they could do that with Lasik and to my surprise they said that mono vision is very common for people who needs bifocals, I was happier with the outcome then I even expected especially when target shooting. Many scope don't come with focal adjustments like Acog's and I was happy that when I looked through one of mine the the I could actually read the tiny range numbers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Lasik is a great idea especially before we start getting the hell taxed out of us and bad times start to hit the masses. I also suggest that any corrective surgery you need to get done should be taken care of ASAP. Cause when SHTF the next doc you will have to depend on will be the one working out of his garage or some make shift triage from an abandoned building.

·
Registered
146 Posts
SUCH a food idea, I thank you for mentioning it! I would definitely need this done too :/ if I didn't have glasses or contacts, I'd be screwed!!

May I ask how much it costs? Or could you PM me the amount if you're uncomfortable? I've looked into doing this before but never knew the price

·
Registered
66 Posts
I, also had lasiks surgery done about seven years ago. Although my vision in the affected eye is still better than it was I am back to needing prescription glasses. My wife, on the other hand, had the actual cut-the-eyeball-with-a-blade type surgery about 15 years ago and she still sees fine.

I guess sometimes it works great, other times not so much.

Trying again still crosses my mind, though.

·
Registered
66 Posts
SUCH a food idea, I thank you for mentioning it! I would definitely need this done too :/ if I didn't have glasses or contacts, I'd be screwed!!

May I ask how much it costs? Or could you PM me the amount if you're uncomfortable? I've looked into doing this before but never knew the price
Mine cost 1800.00 for one eye about seven years ago.

·
Registered
146 Posts
For one eye?? :( Both of my eyes see bad.. I have astigmatism.. :/ Well I guess I'm screwed!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts