Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a large group (20+) you could dig a trench around your compound with mounted MG's creating a more defendable position. One person firing an MG could hold of maybe 10 people with the help of a marksman to pick off anyone sneaking around or behind cover. Ammo and cost would be the biggest problems, but other than that the better cover could let your group hold off larger groups. A no man's land could be set up with little cover and lots of barbed wire to slow the enemy down as well.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
In a large group (20+) you could dig a trench around your compound with mounted MG's creating a more defendable position. One person firing an MG could hold of maybe 10 people with the help of a marksman to pick off anyone sneaking around or behind cover. Ammo and cost would be the biggest problems, but other than that the better cover could let your group hold off larger groups. A no man's land could be set up with little cover and lots of barbed wire to slow the enemy down as well.
that's a lot of digging... I suggest you get started. And I suggest getting the barbed wire and fence posts purchased ahead of time.... and the MG's... then get the 20+ people (plus marksmen).... then Robert's your mother's brother!

·
Registered
Staying alive
474 Posts
Yeah I'm thinking trenches with razor wire and towers with MG's would be pretty much the equivalent of putting up a 50' tall 30' wide neon sign saying "look at me". No sense in advertising to everyone who may be looking for supplies that you have some. Also not sure how your going to get your hands on all those resources, especially the MG's and the ammo. Even if it were possible a couple guys with sniper rifles (as mentioned above) could probably make pretty short work of it. To pull off something like that you would literally need hundreds of people so you could hold off attacks from large groups. The best bet is and always will be not drawing attention to your location.

·
Registered
Firearms & Self Defense.
4,359 Posts
I am of the shoot and scoot school. Things will be hotter than Hell if I have to defend my home and my life, and I won’t have any barricades.
But I will have freedom of movement, even if I have to shoot my own lane, in order to get it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
If you are to build a trench how far out from your compound would it be to keep the compound safe. Then look at the circumference (since you would want to circle your compound). As others stated.... That's a lot of digging
Now add one more complication- when under attack how would you get to it? Are you planning to build a tunnel to get to it? Also are there any areas within half a mile from your planned trench that are higher elevation then the trench?

If you want to set something up, then build something along the lines of a pill box. You'd have a secure place to store ammo, guns, rest and so on....

But even pillboxes have issues when it comes to defenses.

·
Super Moderator
9,809 Posts
Unless you have a backhoe good luck with that. Take it from a guy who has dug A LOT of ditches.

As for ammo cost, when you're being attacked I'm sure that's the last thing on your mind.

Instead of MG's why not fill the ditches with water and get some alligators with lasers strapped to their head?

Just sayin'.

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
9,314 Posts
Trenches worked in a few specific scenarios.
When was the last time you heard it uses as a viable option?
Any elevation around you, and you're literally fish in a barrel.

Take all of this as constructive criticism. Keep thinking up ideas after the old ones have been shot down. Sometimes we need others to show us our own blindspots.

·
Registered
Staying alive
474 Posts
As for ammo cost, when you're being attacked I'm sure that's the last thing on your mind.
I agree that ammo price is the last thing you would think about when you actually have to use the ammo. Unfortunately you have to buy those things in advance to prepare for a possible SHTF scenario so price would definitely factor in. The tens of thousands of rounds to run those MG's let alone the cost of the MG's would be very high. Depending on the size of the area it could be extremely high, and all for a potentially self destructive idea. This feels like a trolling post.

·
Administrator
14,858 Posts
And just where are you going to find machineguns?
Since Ronald Reagan signed the 1986 gun control act, machineguns are no longer allowed to be manufactured. Stock is limited to what was available in 1986.
Accordingly, prices for transferable Class 3 weapons are astronomical.
I just now checked a few Class 3 sites looking for belt fed machineguns, the ONLY ONE i could find today is a Model 1917A1 .30 caliber water cooled, w/accessories, for $21,995.

How old are you, anyway?

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
Depending on the size of the area it could be extremely high, and all for a potentially self destructive idea. This feels like a trolling post.
Hmmm. It appears some of you guys only have hard-sole shoes, you jabber loudly at night and only one of you has a jackknife. Heck, I have better stuff than that in my closet "just in case." And no old soldiers, just old motorcycle mechanics.

There will be a "day coming." And it's my guess that large groups of dangerous marauders will kill everyone for the few waffles you left on the grill. And we also discuss weaponry here--then again, I saw a biker beat a loud-mouth unconscious with a saloon chair. No combat training required.

Here's my point. I believe you can wear a Kevlar vest and be killed for a pack of hot-dogs. You can read adventure magazines until you even know that author's birthday. The end of times will provide lots of blood and the loss of friends. Polish your knife on your day off when you don't really need it done; bullies appear at the most unfortunate times.

·
Administrator
14,858 Posts
Speaking of defensive positions and "fortified" houses, at this very moment I am reading (once again) War As I Knew It, by General George S. Patton Jr (1947, Houghton Mifflin).
Right there on page 251 we find just one of many of the great General's thoughts on fortifications:

"Pacifists would do well to study the Siegfried and Maginot Lines, remembering that these defenses were forced; that Troy fell; that the walls of Hadrian succumbed; that the Great Wall of China was futile; and that, by the same token, the mighty seas which are alleged to defend us can also be circumvented by a resolute and ingenious opponent. In war, the only sure defense is offense, and the efficiency of the offense depends on the warlike souls of those conducting it."

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
And just where are you going to find machineguns?
Since Ronald Reagan signed the 1986 gun control act, machineguns are no longer allowed to be manufactured. Stock is limited to what was available in 1986.
Accordingly, prices for transferable Class 3 weapons are astronomical.
I just now checked a few Class 3 sites looking for belt fed machineguns, the ONLY ONE i could find today is a Model 1917A1 .30 caliber water cooled, w/accessories, for $21,995.

How old are you, anyway?
I bought one belt gun in 1980, paid $450.00 for it, today it is worth $30,000 with its spares and accessories.

The ammo I have for is worth just as much.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Jebby, Never been in the military, huh?
Are you kidding? This boy hasn't been out of his Mommies basement long enough to have been in a fist fight. :vs_lol:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts