Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I posted in another thread, my knife sharpening skills are sub par. Thinking of cheating by getting a lansky sharpening system. Any comments?

·
Registered
938 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Listen if you are not skilled or even mastered the Lansky is the way to go for quick and accurate sharpening. My father and I reuse dulled broadheads by throwing them in the lansky so I think it is an amazing set for all knife owners.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I'm going to stumble through this one as I'm not any sort of expert on this subject. Forty plus years ago, I worked as a very limited short order cook and use a trapezoid shaped sharpening rod and was marginally good at it. Where I started making progress at it was when I good an excellent set of cutlery for the wife. At the suggestion of the store owner, I bought a sharpening set that was comprised of two ceramic rods and a wood block that had two sets of two holes drilled at different angles, one set for thinning the blade and one set for sharpening the thinned blade. I cut myself nearly to the bone after working the blade one day and had to go get stitches to patch up a finger. I looked up the site you referenced and it appears that they have a four rod system that looks very much like my two rod system.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I use the Lanski system and get decent results. It is a little cumbersome setting up the stones and guide rods but not too bad, I enjoy sitting on the porch “puttering” with my knives. On the cheaper knives I can’t seem to get a good edge even with the system but that’s probably not the stones fault.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I tried the Lanski and it worked however I found what dantefordman said to be true. I now use Diamond Combination Bench Stone | Smith's - The Edge Experts diamond stone for my hunting/pocket type knives and use Shapton glass stones on my high quality kitchen/butcher knives. Now with that said anyone can learn to sharpen as it is a learned skill that simply takes practice. For that buy some cheap carbon knives like old hickory and learn to sharpen them. I say old hickory namely because they will take an edge as not all will regardless of what you try to sharpen them with.

·
Administrator
15,096 Posts
I have used the Lansky System for amost 25 tears. The best way to get a precisely angled edge on a blade. I do my kitchen knives at the smallest angle, my pocket and belt knives at the medium angle, and my bayonets at the steepest angle (I think that's 25 degrees, I don't have my Lansky in front of me).
For my el-cheapo chinese pocket knives I just use one of those pocket sized pull thru two sided deals that have a carbide angle on one side and ceramic on the other - Smiths makes them and Gander, Ace Hardware, etc sells them for less than 5 bucks.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I have a Lansky Deluxe system that I use. It's time consuming but worth it. For my EDC pocket knives I use a Chef's choice electric sharpener which also works well and the Trizor edge (or whatever they call it) holds up pretty well. The Lansky will put a razor edge on a quality piece of steel.

-Infidel

1 - 10 of 10 Posts