Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that more and more people lack experience to speak from. I maybe wrong but some people can speak to things in great detail and yet have no hands on experience at all. It's all You tube and internet experience. Has anyone else experienced this phenomena? It sounds like they know what they are talking about yet when asked about their personal experiences they don't have any.

I know of a guy who is highly opinionated about which guns are better than others guns and yet he doesn't own a gun, and when asked about his experience and why he believes they way he does. He circles back to the internet. So no experience to speak of yet he behaves as if he is an informed individual.

What is going to happen to these people if the S really hits the fan, when all they truly know is what they have read or watched on the internet.

·
Super Moderator
9,510 Posts
It seems that more and more people lack experience to speak from. I maybe wrong but some people can speak to things in great detail and yet have no hands on experience at all. It's all You tube and internet experience. Has anyone else experienced this phenomena? It sounds like they know what they are talking about yet when asked about their personal experiences they don't have any.

I know of a guy who is highly opinionated about which guns are better than others guns and yet he doesn't own a gun, and when asked about his experience and why he believes they way he does. He circles back to the internet. So no experience to speak of yet he behaves as if he is an informed individual.

What is going to happen to these people if the S really hits the fan, when all they truly know is what they have read or watched on the internet.
:lol: Seems to be a lot of that going around lately. Even here. Many just want others to think they are the experts at something. I don't really understand it.

Me, I'm just happy being an opinionated a$$hole :mrgreen: But hey, everybody's got to be good at something.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts

I know what ya mean. I see it all the time. You have some armchair gun expert that reads every magazine he can,watches hundreds of hours of Youtube videos about a weapon but has either only fired a few rounds thru it or none at all. But will SWEAR he is an expert.. What they don't realize is you need hundreds of hours and many many rounds fired thru a weapon just to get the feel of it.. Just because someone reads about something or is in a conversation about something. As soon as they get the chance, they will talk about it like they are the expert..

It happens on all kinds of subjects for that matter!!

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
:lol: Seems to be a lot of that going around lately. Even here. Many just want others to think they are the experts at something. I don't really understand it.

Me, I'm just happy being an opinionated a$$hole :mrgreen: But hey, everybody's got to be good at something.
I could have sworn I had that rapped up all by myself! :-? Got to admit I try very hard. And I do have experience.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
I have great experience being an asshole. Please contact me if you need any pointers.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I watched how to be an ass on youtube. If I'm successful, please contact Inor to file any complaints you may have.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Thanks for the offer but I think I got this down. After all, I have 61 yrs of experience at this.
I only have 47 years. Maybe then again you can offer me a few pointers? :)

Reactions: inceptor

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
It's almost impossible for the average person to gain first hand experience with all aspects of being a survivalist. How do you practice treating sucking chest wounds? How do you practice gunfighting? Let's face it, watching a video or reading a book isn't the same as experience, but it's better than nothing. Yeah, if your plan relies on weapons, you need to go out and shoot until it becomes second nature. A working knowledge of basic infantry tactics can be learned from paintball or airsoft. No, it won't be the same as real combat experience, but it's better than watching a YouTube and miles ahead of knowing nothing about a subject you might need to survive.

I think those who do practice often practice the wrong things. Going out with nothing and practicing bushcraft might be fun, but if you find yourself out in the wild with nothing but a knife, you should have practiced planning. For instance, while many might find practicing 10 ways to make fire by rubbing sticks together makes sense, I practice making fires by always having a lighter that works. I think a lot of preppers practice skills they will never use and ignore the basics that will actually be needed.

Some things can be learned from books. I have never actually put together a solar power system, for example, but I'm 100% certain I could design a system that would work. I could also manage to scrape together a system from whatever parts I could scrounge. Many engineers go through their entire careers without personally building anything they design. I'll bet Eiffel never personally built a tower, right? Did that make him any less of an expert in towers?

Prepping involves such a wide array of skills that I really doubt that anyone has personal experience in all aspects. My plan is to practice what's practical, and read to learn the basic principals of those things where first hand experience is difficult or impossible to gain.

I'll even take this one step further. I have thousands and thousands of technical books I have never read and might never read. But you know what? It makes me feel better to know I have access to those books, which represent the accumulated knowledge of people who have done it first hand. It's nowhere near as good as doing it myself, but it's a lot better than being totally clueless.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Prepadoodle

I understand that. That's fair and pretty much the way it is. Some things are not going to be practiced. Just no way to practice. There are things about being prepared that I don't know.

It's more the people who try to impress others into believing they have it covered because they have read a book or watched a video and formulated an opinion and yet in all probability have never left the couch and if you question them they get defensive. They talk but don't do. I know people like this and they make me a bit nervous. I hope they would be an asset but worry they'll be a liability.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I saw this behavior at the gun store just 2 months ago. The store rep went on and on about how this handgun is better than this one. He then started to argue with the guy next to me who obviouly does not like the gun he is pushing. Then the rep kept arguing about the "safety". He tried to deomonstrate he pushed in the "safety" and the magazine fell out. Hd actually did it teice before the guy next to me grabbed thd gun out of his hand and pointed out that there was no safety on that particular gun. Needless to say I ssked tgd guy next to me about thd purchase lol

·
Registered
143 Posts
There is a difference between using books, youtube, etc as reference material and learning how to do things and deciding that you are an expert on a subject because of something you read or heard. The self-proclaimed expert is nothing new. They have been hanging out in bars for decades subjugating everyone within earshot of their overly loud voices to their opinions on anything and everything. You can see the same thing here on various subjects including calibers, specific or general types of weapons, different firearms actions, etc. Generally speaking you can boil their "opinion" down to the simple phrase "What I own or want to own is the best ever built and everything else is crap". I find it particularly offensive when someone informs us that they have bought a new weapon and some butthead immediately jumps in to tell everyone that the gun the poster just bought is garbage and they should have bought what the loud mouth owns.
So true! I see that everywhere. I have been around guns my whole life and cant say i know anything other than the guns i own. And just because you own that particular gun still does not make you an expert.i would consider an expert as someone who that is their career or passion.

The skill is not in knowing minute triva about the gun in question, it is really about can you pick up that gun and safely and accurately shoot it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I agree that there are those out there that would seem to have nothing more than the knowledge of a seasoned scholar. Someone that can put a nose to a magazine, book, and or a site such as this and retain that information is simply doing nothing more than passing on information that he/she acquired through the expense of those that have lived it. This goes for all aspects of prepping from finding shelter and making base camp, fire starting, water collection, food gathering, emergency signal fires (in the event one is lost and wants to be found), the list goes on and one.

The point is that it may seem like a good thing, to pass on information that one finds critical enough to retain and believe others may need to know as well, but in essence all one really need to do is post a link to the website that said person has been reading or mention the name and author of a particular book one has found to be informative. There is comfort to see just how many people are getting into prepping though, if only by reading a forum such as this.

On the downside here is a little story for you about someone who has actually experienced survivalist skills and what not.....

This gentleman in the mid west United States had been hiking and prepping nearly his whole life. He came from a family hard hit during the depression and from then on has lived a somewhat survivalist homesteading type of existence. It would not be uncommon for this man to get off work on Friday and head straight into a hike and be gone all weekend with nothing more than a Bug Out Bag... The man would leave a map and GPS latitude and longitude coordinate for his wife and circled an area he was planning on staying in...
One cold fall weekend this man went for a hike with all his gear... Rain gear winter gear boots fire starters everything... The weekend came and past then monday then tuesday the thursday.. His wife called and had a search and rescue team go and find the man as something had to have been wrong, he never ever went this long without calling in which case he would use a satellite phone but only for emergencies... It had snowed sleet hail the whole deal that weekend.... They found his body near a stream near what looked like an attempt to make a shelter.... The man was pronounced dead and estimated time of death would have put it FRIDAY, the day he left.....

It was recorded that he got wet, had no shelter and had no fire. The weather had turned and by the time he thought to do anything it was to late... the man was working in pre hypothermic states and then when hypothermia kicked in from the cold the body went into shut down mode... The point in this all was this man had the woods time through hiking and camping and practice... Was a boy scout leader, prior military the whole nine yards... Something as simple as reading the weather channel or the clouds outside when you are already out can make a huge difference....

If you know what you are talking about or if you dont just remember before you go and post something, is this information critical and legitimate or should I ghost this site until there is a subject I am actually capable of replying to.... Again either way I like reading what people have to say...

Take care. oh snf Happy Veterans day from one to the others.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts