Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi every,

I'm Harold, an amateur radio operator living in Northeast Ohio.
I've always had an interest in both emergency comms and the off-grid lifestyle, I don't feel we should ever feel safe relying on our grid as the only source of power/etc.

My main goal for coming here is to try and drum up some support to create a Roku channel for the Prepper/Survivalists that run youtube channels.
Currently there is no such channel, I have developed channels before and have the skill to build another one, it would be public.... not private, meaning that anyone in the USA/Canada/UK would see it in the channel store.

I cannot afford to pay for the bandwidth of such a server, it runs about $100/mo but more importantly than that is the fact that I need to have other preppers who want to get their content out there.
I could probably charge $0.99 for the channel (I'd rather it be free) if I can't get monentary support but the channel simply cannot succeed without users uploading videos on a regular basis.

Please let me know what you think of this idea and if you'd be interested in helping.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Let's assume I don't know what you are talking about because... well... I don't. What's a Roku channel and why would it matter to us?

Reactions: rice paddy daddy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Roku Streaming Player | Roku Streaming Player

Roku is essentially a small internet tv box.
People can develop tv channels for it, a lot of people have been cutting cable and just going with internet tv.

This presents and opportunity to share our information with others who might otherwise have no idea what they should do.
You can easily reach 20,000 people in the course of a month or two or rather... 20,000 house-holds.

So think of it as a youtube channel, except on your tv and watchable from a popular webtv box anyone can buy at their local walmart.

EDIT

The pure idea is to spread and share information about prepping and emergency communication via the Roku platform

·
Registered
640 Posts
Ummm... so instead of watching youtube videos for free on my computer, phone, tablet, etc.... I'd have to buy a webtv box and watch it only on my TV? That sounds self-limiting.

Does it stream whatever was programmed for the day or do I get to pick and choose and skip ahead like I can with Youtube videos?

Reactions: Leon

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The idea is not to limit us... We already know about youtube and have access to all this stuff.
The idea is to touch people who don't understand websites like youtube but have a Roku (because of how much cheaper roku is a lot of people are getting them to replace cable) or.... just having people stumble on the channel because we'd be in the public channel store on the roku itself.

The purpose is to touch people who don't already know about prepping, people who probably wouldn't have gone looking for it anyway... There are a limited number of public channels on Roku (a ton are private/unlisted) but I can build a public channel and get it listed in the store so that the average Roku owner would see it when they check for whats new on their web tv box....

I hope you get what I'm trying to say.... What do "we" gain....? Nothing but satisfaction that we've spread the word and skills to others who may not have gained it themselves otherwise.

·
Registered
640 Posts
KROSIV... I see the point you are making but wanted to express my 2 cents. My intent is not to shut down what you believe is a worthy cause... just give you a reality check.

I consider myself both an ethical and moral person and want the best for humanity as a whole... but I'm still having trouble with this "force feed the public" idea. Preppers prep because they want to and sacrifice personal and family time to accomplish this. Now... you are asking them to take resources away from what they are trying to accomplish to help people who may or may not appreciate your efforts. I imagine that if I had a webtv and stumbled across this channel you are creating and got interested, I would quickly turn to the internet and find forums like this one or use youtube to get the info I need. But... I can say the same about stumbling across prepping on television shows and in newspaper/magazine articles.

You may find some monetary sponsors, but I doubt it. Most preppers already have a "I desperately need to buy this but can't afford it right now" list and don't want to set themselves even further back. I also doubt you will find people willing to take away personal time to make videos for you. Your best bet is to contact youtube users and request permission to use their videos. Some may let you....

And... if you charge for the channel... you will get few if any takers. Bottom line.... find a revenue source.... find some youtube videos to stream... get it started, get a following, and get it known. Then.... preppers may begin to support this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I understand certainly where your coming from.
The idea wasn't to take time away from preppers, I am looking for the permission of preppers who already spend a chunk of their time making youtube videos.

I agree I would need to find a source of funds, it wouldn't be the first time that I was unable to find donations... asking or not I will assuming I won't get any, but money is not my main concern but rather trying to get these videos accessible on Roku.
I've always been a fan of DIY/Hacking videos (hacking as in modifcation/diy etc) but Roku didn't have any.... I ended up creating one that hit over 60,000 households! It was great, I had good feedback from it. The only reason I stopped is because I don't have much for funding right now, advertising did cover it but they take so long to get checks out I went over 3 months paying out of pocket spending money I didn't have.

I just know that the last time I worked on a Roku channel I had more people interested in the subject of the channel.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Alright... well I wish you luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts