Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
11,794 Posts
My Dad and I discussed this China Bug over the last weekend. I asked him if he where taking precautions and staying away from people. He said son, I live in a retirement community full of old people, I am 83 years old, something eventually, is going to kill all of us.

I am exercising the usual standard flu protocols as I always do at this time of the year. Until I see hundreds of thousands of people foaming at the mouth, collapsing to the ground twitching in agony, and then dying in the middle of the street, I just can't get worked up about this bug. As I and others have pointed out, the regular old flu has killed more people this year then this China bug. I don't see the MSM talking bobble heads in a panic over that.

·
Super Moderator
6,380 Posts
Not saying we shouldn't be vigilant and take precautions but seriously it's not as bad as the media would lead you to believe. Unless you have respiratory problems or you're really old/young you have very little to fear.

Look at the numbers of common flu deaths compared to coronavirus. We have the common flu every year and no one ever freaks out.

It's different because this thing spreads so much more readily than the flu. Covid 19 is in exponential growth. You look at the countries that did a good job of attacking this thing head on, the numbers rose then started leveling off. The countries that allowed themselves not to look at the facts and to be in denial (no testing, no masks, no self quarantine, "don't panic") look at those, they start off with low numbers of infected and then it explodes. Check out the graphs in the video above. There's also a pretty good explanation of exponential growth, (for people like me who are far from being a mathematicians).

Coronavirus = 3000 deaths worldwide (7.53 billion people on the planet)
Common flu = 20,000 deaths in the US alone

https://www.livescience.com/new-coronavirus-compare-with-flu.html
Not surprisingly, these countries that took aggressive measures, it turns out, are also nixing the flu.

The guy in the video above has been right from the get go so far, and he's saying the real fallout will be the economy. Also overrun hospitals plus a lot of unnecessary deaths.

I'm ready to hunker down for possibly as long as a month or so. Hopefully not that long, though. Everything points to the need to do so and I fully expect some of my family to get this nasty thing. When everybody starts wearing face masks, I'll relax a little.

·
Super Moderator
6,380 Posts
We could have a million cases in the US alone by May, exponentially speaking. And could get worse from there...Smart people tell us. CDC's failed us.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Please prepare for the worse. This virus has just begun to spread and is unlike anything else we have seen. Read this article and understand that the effects of each stage of the viruses progression is slow and has multiple stages that are expodentialy increases. This is what we prep for. When this over runs the hospitals, this will be an extreme situation.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/worl...ptoms-advice-covid-19-infection-rates-Britain

·
Super Moderator
6,380 Posts
Please prepare for the worse. This virus has just begun to spread and is unlike anything else we have seen. Read this article and understand that the effects of each stage of the viruses progression is slow and has multiple stages that are expodentialy increases. This is what we prep for. When this over runs the hospitals, this will be an extreme situation.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/worl...ptoms-advice-covid-19-infection-rates-Britain
I agree with what you're saying but there's too many pop-ups and flashing add-articles on that link. It addles my brain. When articles have that much going on, it looses credibility for me. Do you have another link?

ETA: knowledge is power, but there are certain things I definitely don't want to know about, like " [ladies] Tee Shirt Pics That Went Wrong." :tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I agree with what you're saying but there's too many pop-ups and flashing add-articles on that link. It addles my brain. When articles have that much going on, it looses credibility for me. Do you have another link?

ETA: knowledge is power, but there are certain things I definitely don't want to know about, like " [ladies] Tee Shirt Pics That Went Wrong." :tango_face_wink:
You need to install AdBlock Plus for your browser. I didn't see any ads at that link.

·
Super Moderator
9,711 Posts

It's different because this thing spreads so much more readily than the flu. Covid 19 is in exponential growth. You look at the countries that did a good job of attacking this thing head on, the numbers rose then started leveling off. The countries that allowed themselves not to look at the facts and to be in denial (no testing, no masks, no self quarantine, "don't panic") look at those, they start off with low numbers of infected and then it explodes. Check out the graphs in the video above. There's also a pretty good explanation of exponential growth, (for people like me who are far from being a mathematicians).

Not surprisingly, these countries that took aggressive measures, it turns out, are also nixing the flu.

The guy in the video above has been right from the get go so far, and he's saying the real fallout will be the economy. Also overrun hospitals plus a lot of unnecessary deaths.

I'm ready to hunker down for possibly as long as a month or so. Hopefully not that long, though. Everything points to the need to do so and I fully expect some of my family to get this nasty thing. When everybody starts wearing face masks, I'll relax a little.
If reacting this way makes you feel better then you do you. I agree the economy will and has been impacted. But that is mainly from hysteria rather than facts. It may spread more easily than the common flu but I don't care. I'm healthy and young enough to stave it off with a week out of work. Granted elderly and people with respiratory problems should be concerned (as they should with most things) but me I'm not worried in the least.

·
Registered
11,794 Posts
Did somebody say something about "ladies Tee Shirt Pics That Went Wrong."? :devil:

·
Super Moderator
6,380 Posts
If reacting this way makes you feel better then you do you. I agree the economy will and has been impacted. But that is mainly from hysteria rather than facts. It may spread more easily than the common flu but I don't care. I'm healthy and young enough to stave it off with a week out of work. Granted elderly and people with respiratory problems should be concerned (as they should with most things) but me I'm not worried in the least.
Okay; I'll do me. 30 x's more deaths than the flu and spreading exponentially is nothing to sneeze at--oohh, sorry for the bad pun. Couldn't help it. :vs_smirk:

I've got my preps and I'm ready to hunker down for a while. I'm just hoping the rest of the family will follow suit, but unfortunately a lot of them seem unconcerned--for now.

·
Super Moderator
3,016 Posts
I just returned from my local Home Depot and Lowes. Both have pallet loads of tp and paper towels. Also plenty of chlorox and lysol wipes and other cleaning supplies. So if your local walmart is running out, maybe try these stores.

Maybe this should be posted in the ‘Las Vegas shelves thread’. Mods, feel free to move if you so desire.

·
Super Moderator
9,711 Posts
Okay; I'll do me. 30 x's more deaths than the flu and spreading exponentially is nothing to sneeze at--oohh, sorry for the bad pun. Couldn't help it. :vs_smirk:

I've got my preps and I'm ready to hunker down for a while. I'm just hoping the rest of the family will follow suit, but unfortunately a lot of them seem unconcerned--for now.
30 X's more deaths from the flu? I'm not sure where you are getting your info but it is wrong.

COVID-19: Approximately 4,373 deaths reported worldwide; 29 deaths in the U.S., as of Mar. 11, 2020.

Flu: 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide; 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year.
https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/coronavirus-disease-2019-vs-the-flu

Reactions: Slippy

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sasquatch, it seems you dont understand the mortality rates of viruses. Convid-19 could be 30 times deadlier than influenza, even more than that. It's at least 10 times more deadly, which means in a year. 10-170 times more people will die from convid-19 than do the flu in one years time.

This virus spreads expodentialy and is worse than the flu in every way. So much so that it will overwhelm the healthcare systems and multiply the deaths of this virus and every other virus and sickness by several times what they would ordinarily be.

·
Super Moderator
9,711 Posts
Sasquatch, it seems you dont understand the mortality rates of viruses. Convid-19 could be 30 times deadlier than influenza, even more than that. It's at least 10 times more deadly, which means in a year. 10-170 times more people will die from convid-19 than do the flu in one years time.

This virus spreads expodentialy and is worse than the flu in every way. So much so that it will overwhelm the healthcare systems and multiply the deaths of this virus and every other virus and sickness by several times what they would ordinarily be.
Oh, I understand just fine. Look at the words I highlighted in your post. Could be? Could be is a scare tactic word the media uses. Get back to me when the words are "definitely is".

As a side note, remember to throw an @ in front of names of people you want to see your post. It'll notify them you mentioned them in your post. (ie. @Rellgar )

·
Super Moderator
6,380 Posts
30 X's more deaths from the flu? I'm not sure where you are getting your info but it is wrong.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/coronavirus-disease-2019-vs-the-flu
Give it another two weeks and Hopkins will be changing their numbers. At about 30:00 in the video below there's a chart says 20% more deadly and 50% more deadly if hospitals are overrun--which they will be.

The fact is this virus is shutting down whole countries.

Social distancing is so important to keep this virus from spreading. Don't go out unless you absolutely have to.

I don't have the patience to debate this anymore. I know this virus is a difficult thing for a lot of people to come to terms with, but anyway God bless you all; good luck!

·
Registered
115 Posts
It's more than could be, it's a fact that the mortality rate in Italy right now is 67 times that of the flu. You don't understand, stay safe and good luck, God bless you.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts