Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But doing is entirely different. How many of you actually practice your survival skills? Knowing the techniques is one thing actually being able to do things is entirely different. So you know how to start a fire with flint and steel, fire-bow, a battery, etc. When is the last time you actually practiced it? When is the last time you sat in front of the TV and tied knots? These things are important to know how to do but even more important to have done. Practice makes perfect and practice also makes it 2nd nature. I personally will light the fire in my back yard fire pit with different techniques just to make sure I can do it. Having a survival guide in your pack is a must, but the basics must be learned and practiced is you truly expect to survive. So do you practice?

Reactions: indie

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
Amateurs practice until they can do it right, professionals practice until they can't do it wrong.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Amateurs practice until they can do it right, professionals practice until they can't do it wrong.
I always thought that was "professionals practice until they get it wrong"? You learn the most from your mistakes, not your accomplishments. :)

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Tying knots, dry fire practice, painting the second panel for the shop door, fixing my grandson's car (that's two of them now), ran a check on the feds and found they were quite active in the last 24 hours, and saved a movie to look at later.

Other than that I took it easy today - My blood tests all came back great so I will probably live another thousand years or so.

Reactions: Prepadoodle

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Tying knots, dry fire practice, painting the second panel for the shop door, fixing my grandson's car (that's two of them now), ran a check on the feds and found they were quite active in the last 24 hours, and saved a movie to look at later.

Other than that I took it easy today - My blood tests all came back great so I will probably live another thousand years or so.
That's great Paul. A thousand years from now I hope you and I can still be arguing about Muslims. :)

In terms of "practicing" our preps, we really do not. We pretty much live them all the time. In terms of starting a fire, we have a fire in the fireplace almost every day in late fall and winter. So we start them using a variety of methods - matches, flint, etc. I do not practice knots in from of the TV, mainly because I do not watch TV. But there are about 8 knots that I use quite a bit for my hobbies around the house, so those I can tie without looking. For anything fancy, I do still have to rely on a manual. But then again, I do not expect in a survival situation that I am going to be too concerned about tying a good looking Turk's Head knot. :)

The only thing that did give us problems was when we started switching our diets from the preprocessed supermarket foods to more natural foods (home ground grains, homemade sausages, home cured meats, and Mrs Inor's preserves), it did take our bodies a week or so to adjust. Of course we pretty much went cold-turkey off the preprocessed chemical foods, to the more natural homemade foods. It was great for about the first 3 days. Then both of us had digestion issues for a few days. Mrs Inor got constipated. I got a pretty severe case of colon-blow. Neither of us felt sick, so I do not think anything was contaminated. But neither of us were processing normal for a few days. In both cases though we were back to normal within a week. For that reason, I do suggest you try living on just the stuff you plan to prep for at least a few weeks just to see how your body reacts.

·
Registered
855 Posts
All the time actually, I'm constantly trying to show my boys some new skill which gives me a chance to practice some things I haven't done in a while. Knots I use all the time so that's pretty well covered. Fire starting, yep starting the fire in the pit out back covers that. Taught the boys how to build a decent survival bow last week which works pretty well too I might add. Built a rope bridge in the front yard over the summer for them, that was pretty cool. Teaching them how to shoot a bow currently using a 10 year old Matthews Genesis (great bow for a kid by the way). This fall/winter I'll have them out in the woods teaching them how to hunt (squirrels are great for this since they don't need to be super patient). Yep I practice my skills pretty regularly.

-Infidel

1 - 10 of 10 Posts