·
Registered
68 Posts
What is your edc knife?
Hiking/camping/backpacking knife?
Shtf knives/bob blades?
Favorite knife you own and why?
Let's talk about some blades people! :)
For EDC, Spyderco Endura with that Emerson wave rapid opener / bottle opener feature, karambit in the other pocket. Couple of ESEE-5 knives for survival. Several K-Bars for .. whatever. Classic and one Big Brother. Two Morakniv Garberg camp knives for routine stuff in the field. M7 bayonet for my AR15. Swords are another set of considerations.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
see the " Tueller Drill" for reference if you don't believe that one.

Yeah, I hear about all the snickering of "bringing a knife to a gunfight." Truth is that most guys who have carried, used and trained with a sharp knife can easily slice your bicep to the bone before you even know what happened.

For most of my teens and twenties I carried a very sharp knife of one type or another. I was always experimenting with the sharpness and shape of the blade, be that from a USA supplier or from a foreign provider. Personally, the hardest thing I ever had to do was make the shape and width of a bevel to be perfect, as it would come from the factory. There was more than once I took a dull knife out in the sun, polished the edge so it was PERFECT, and then oiled the pivot as the moon brightened the work!

That era has come and gone. Over the decades there came the fittings, both steel and magnetic, to hold a dull or crooked edge in place. I could not help myself, as I bought some very shiny, yet cutting, shaping blocks.

One guy asked me who produced the knife he admired. I just told him, "I did, in my mom's kitchen when she is out of town..."

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good question. For cooking I have a near full set of Victorinox kitchen knives made by yummin yimminies in Switzerland. The six inch curved boner is my favorite. For everyday carry I have a cool Kershaw folder with a finger push opener and a blade about three inches long. I just oiled and shapened it on the steel. Its ready to rumble. I have a cool hand made skinning knife for outdoorsy stuff. Not sure where my machete went but I used to have one for cutting the heads off of snakes and chopping down trees etc. back in boyscouts and another more recently which I cant find. Some kid probably borrowed it and forgot to bring it back most likely.
It's a nice knife and it's angles looks amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Not a big knife guy, but I do have a few!

Everyday carry?

I got a simple little 3.5 inch folder with a Tanto blade that works very well for a lot of stuff. I dont know what brand or model it is. I bought one on clearance sale some where, liked it so much I went and bought the other dozen or so they had! I figured it would be a good knife as a hand out to others in my group less prepared than I am. Besides shouldnt every young man have a pocket knife?

Camping/Hiking Knife?

It ranges from a 7 inch Tanto Blade to a K-Bar Style Knife to a heavy Bowie Blade. It depends on how much weight is an issue and what task I am like to do with it the most.

SHTF?

If I got to go to war I am taking a Kukuri. When it comes to getting nasty and hacking, slashing and chopping, few other blades can match it in my opinion. I also like the fact that I can use it as a "Draw Knife" to smooth up a moderate sized log if I am trying to construct something out of 3-8 inch timbers. Its great at effortlessly batoning wood but I can still easily feather sticks to get some kindling or a fire going with it. I like the heavy Bowie style knives too for all of the same reasons, I just think the Kukuri is a bit better.

61 - 64 of 64 Posts