Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
In reality no a large blade does not "trump" a small blade every time , a large blade with no skill behind it is is a sure route to bleeding a great deal against a skilled opponent with the proper small blade.

And indeed that's the way you do damage , "stabbing" does much less overall damage in most cases than does letting the opponents bodily fluids out to lie in large , copious puddles upon the ground.

*KNOW* your anatomy , *know* where the pertinent nerve clusters , veins , arteries and tendons/ligaments are located , along with the basic muscle groups. As an example consider the quadriceps and the reduction in mobility of one's opponent from a well placed slash , consider the femoral artery for a moment if you will.

Take a close look at the back of your hand and your wrist , think about the blood loss from a cut to these areas , think about the tendons just below the triceps and above the elbow , will your opponent still have usage of that arm if they are cut.

An old Pinay saying " first remove the snake's fangs".........

·
Registered
207 Posts
Big knife trumps little knife every time!
"Okay Buzz, show us what you got!"

PS:- A machete would be too long to allow your arm to bend if you had it up your sleeve
And the obvious mistakes in the handling of an edged weapon in this photo are? Never trust a movie folks. Not ever , the above photo demonstrates an individual BEGGING to be cut high wide and handsome and disarmed in a quite expeditious manner.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I've also always found that skill trumps whatever blade the other guy has. I've studied with guys that can take a blade from someone so fast and leave him dead on the ground before he knows what happened it wouldn't matter whether the guy had a big fixed blade, machete, or katana.

·
Registered
280 Posts
big knife...small.....

I like sticks.

·
Super Moderator
9,674 Posts
The last time someone pulled a knife on me, I asked him why he brought a knife to a gun fight as I pulled my 1911. He dropped it and ran. I still have the knife.

At the time, we owned a laundromat and this guy thought he would rob me. It didn't quite work out the way he planned.

·
Registered
207 Posts
The last time someone pulled a knife on me, I asked him why he brought a knife to a gun fight as I pulled my 1911. He dropped it and ran. I still have the knife.

At the time, we owned a laundromat and this guy thought he would rob me. It didn't quite work out the way he planned.
And quite frankly you were faced with an individual who hadn't the slightest clue as regards an edged weapon , see the " Tueller Drill" for reference if you don't believe that one.

And frankly *yes* I have proven this point over and over for decades in blade defense classes , against individuals highly trained an competent in the defensive usage of sidearms/firearms.

NEVER take an edged weapon or a stick lightly , not *EVER* , the consequences can be extremely dire.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yeah, he was an idiot. Not that I'm complaining.
Thank you for that acknowledgement , and I was not attempting to bust your chops even if it seemed so , the " never bring a knife to a gunfight schtick" is one of the most oft promoted and dangerous myths ever foisted off on self defense students of any stripe.

In addition H2H instructors often promote " surefire" ways of disarming the knife , there is *NO* such thing , i'ts dependent on your personal skills and the skill and mindset of the opponent/assailant.

If you run across an opponent who *really* knows what they are doing then chances are very good that you'll never even see the blade until after you're leaking like a sieve , and the opponent who holds an edged weapon out at extended arms length if front of him like something out of a fifites gang movie doesn't know what the hell they are doing............and they are giving you several free cuts/strikes.

·
Super Moderator
9,674 Posts
Thank you for that acknowledgement , and I was not attempting to bust your chops even if it seemed so , the " never bring a knife to a gunfight schtick" is one of the most oft promoted and dangerous myths ever foisted off on self defense students of any stripe.
The truth is the truth. I am not Rambo by any stretch of the imagination. :grin: If this guy would have not been a moron then I might have had trouble on my hands. I would most likely have taken him but it would have taken some effort. I have had no formal training except what you learn on the streets. I was shooting IPSC about that time but I was only middle of the pack, nothing spectacular.

They say the Good Lord watches out over fools, idiots and the truly stupid. I figure I hit 2 out of 3 categories so he kept an eye on me. ;)

·
Super Moderator
9,674 Posts
BTW, the training part has changed. I have been working with a guy that taught military and swat among others he has other ex-military trainers there also. Even an old dog can learn some new tricks. ::rambo::

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Let's talk about some blades people!

I'm glad you brought this up. I recently bought a 4.25 inch CRKT folder with the toggle disassembly feature. While the knife is handy, sharp and a tad spooky, although the spine tab catches on everything.

I do like the straight wharncliffe bevel and being able to break the folder down without tools is a real privilege. However--and I hate to deride the tool--while the knife has its features, it pokes you in the top of the thigh every time you shift your position. My next idea is to create some pocket insert that holds the folder at a 45 degree angle.

I have no idea what the alloy is for this folder. However, I will admit that in all my carving, pocketing and playing with my new toy it has not become scratched or dinged. If you need something like a railroad spike and none are for sale, buy this folder and don't even try to break it...

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Well, I finally found a picture of my latest knife. As I had mentioned, our home completely ran out of batteries--in all sizes and shapes--and I couldn't photograph my new Mah Lanny folder, blue accents and all. Fortunately the picture I found was the exact model I had hunted down.

I wish you could see the edge I polished! Yikes, not only is the edge beautiful, but don't lightly put your thumb on this knife--like I did...

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
I just got a new knife, it's a Krudo that appears to date from our "stiletto craze." It a very strong knife, and I doubt it will need weeks or months to re-sharpen it.

Gesture Sleeve Tool Font Rectangle
Gesture Sleeve Tool Font Rectangle

·
Registered
10,937 Posts
What is your edc knife?
Hiking/camping/backpacking knife?
Shtf knives/bob blades?
Favorite knife you own and why?
Let's talk about some blades people! :)
Good question. For cooking I have a near full set of Victorinox kitchen knives made by yummin yimminies in Switzerland. The six inch curved boner is my favorite. For everyday carry I have a cool Kershaw folder with a finger push opener and a blade about three inches long. I just oiled and shapened it on the steel. Its ready to rumble. I have a cool hand made skinning knife for outdoorsy stuff. Not sure where my machete went but I used to have one for cutting the heads off of snakes and chopping down trees etc. back in boyscouts and another more recently which I cant find. Some kid probably borrowed it and forgot to bring it back most likely.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts