1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
78 Posts
The Kill switches are already in cars if they have On star even if you opt out they still can shut your vehicle off, my sister has a 2018 Chevy and didn't opt for On star and she was driving and a person came on and said "Hello, would you like a free trial of On Star" it freaked her out that they still can have control. With On Star being discontinued Chevy was going with a new and improved system.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Kill switches are already in cars if they have On star even if you opt out they still can shut your vehicle off, my sister has a 2018 Chevy and didn't opt for On star and she was driving and a person came on and said "Hello, would you like a free trial of On Star" it freaked her out that they still can have control. With On Star being discontinued Chevy was going with a new and improved system.
Below your sisters drivers seat or somewhere in the vehicle is the module for it, it usually has two plugs into it, you can unplug it and it's disabled. Won't affect the vehicle unless they changed them in last 2 years.

·
Registered
507 Posts
What a way to cause instant havoc. Hack into cars while thousands are driving and run them into each other. I bet no foriegn power or hacker group has ever thought of that.

Know what is even more scary? The fact that somebody can hack into a hospital server and change the amount meds those machines that go "bip" are programmed to dispense.

Resist using those smart appliances folks. The internet is not your friend.

Godspeed.

·
Registered
6,171 Posts
Personally, I would like to buy some form of "total destruction device" that keeps telling me I have a "System Error" and I am damaged by "Suspicious Programs." Then, of course, it rings constantly.

Is there such a thing as "McAfee," and do they find viruses and errors?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Here we go folks.

If a kid in his parent's basement can do this whaddaya think the Chicoms, Ruskies, N Koreans or the Iranians can do?

I think I'll hang onto my 2008 Ford Escape for a bit longer.

Godspeed

·
Registered
9,404 Posts
I recall several years ago seeing a report on TV where someone was able to hack into a car and lock the brakes up. It was all done on a track under controlled conditions..... but it was possible back then.

·
Registered
507 Posts
If you folks haven't already read this book it'll knock you flat on your wahzooo and you'll never look at your cell phone or smart appliance/device the same again.

Godspeed

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I recall several years ago seeing a report on TV where someone was able to hack into a car and lock the brakes up. It was all done on a track under controlled conditions..... but it was possible back then.
I remember that one with using a laptop. I now check my vehicle for those Apple AirTags, useless when I leave town to track me but don't want to be tracked when within cell phone signal.

·
Registered
6,171 Posts
Back in the first "dark ages," everyone was scared stiff that something they typed in office would instantly be scanned and then planted into downtown Moscow. A few years from that it became obvious that Soviet kids just wanted to play our rock n' roll music and find out if the 'new Chevies' were ready for immediate sale.

...BTW, I believe there was at least one picture of a Soviet kid on a Harley...

·
Registered
4 Posts
with all due respect, do you really think a gas powered/electric vehicle is going to be of any use in a SHTF scenario? the Amish are leaps and bounds above everyone with their horse and carriage setups.

·
Registered
507 Posts
with all due respect, do you really think a gas powered/electric vehicle is going to be of any use in a SHTF scenario? the Amish are leaps and bounds above everyone with their horse and carriage setups.
Nope but a wood fired gasification unit would fit right in to that old beater chevy or ford pickup that is sitting out back.

Godspeed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts