Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are becoming more and more guys getting killed (in Ontario a fella was murdered for his truck) and held up at knife point (just happened here in Alberta again).

How do you guys deal with folks when your selling stuff??? Or do you bother selling any more...

·
Registered
257 Posts
My husband and I buy/sell off Craigslist kinda frequently. We never go to anyone's homes or have them come to ours. We will only meet at a neutral, somewhat-busy place, in daylight; we prefer to meet in like Walmart or other big store parking lots. Neither of us go alone. If someone refuses to meet in a public place (and it's happened to me before), it's a no go. Although there's still danger meeting anybody you don't know from the internet, I think doing so in a well-lit, public place, and not being alone, helps.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I have bought and sold off Craigslist. We have had people robbed, car scams, and such reported in this area. The only time I allowed someone to come to my home was to buy a desk I couldn't use. It was a smooth transaction. I typically meet at starbucks. I did an ammo buy in a Wal mart parking lot. My wife was two rows over watching....that one concerned me a little because it was a great deal on a 1000 rounds of Remington 357

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I use Craig's List pretty regularly. I usually prefer to meet in public locations but I do go to a person's house if they agree that I don't have to come in and I know the area where they live.

I have an on again off again ammo source who happens to be a cop. We meet in a well lit parking lot and he is almost always in uniform on his way to work. The first time I was going to meet him he said, "You should know I'm a cop and will be in uniform, that freaks some people out" I laughed.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alberta is pretty much the Texas of Canada.. Police think nothing of it if your shot gun is on the front seat beside you.. just not hanging in the back window for all to see. I have laid it on the dash when meeting a few folks i had a iffy feeling about. Most bad dealings in Alberta are done with a knife.. My belt always has a leatherman, a mini mag flash light and my hunting/skinning knife.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I recently sold a 60hp tractor. When the fella showed up i had one of my 6 dogs at my side on a short leash. The others were howling and barking out of sight. Very polite. gave me a cheque and said call me when it clears and i will pick up the tractor. I am very strict about who i invite out. If the need arise and i dont know ya.. The shop door is closed the item is outside.
I use Craig's List pretty regularly. I usually prefer to meet in public locations but I do go to a person's house if they agree that I don't have to come in and I know the area where they live.

I have an on again off again ammo source who happens to be a cop. We meet in a well lit parking lot and he is almost always in uniform on his way to work. The first time I was going to meet him he said, "You should know I'm a cop and will be in uniform, that freaks some people out" I laughed.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Alberta is pretty much the Texas of Canada.. Police think nothing of it if your shot gun is on the front seat beside you.. just not hanging in the back window for all to see. I have laid it on the dash when meeting a few folks i had a iffy feeling about. Most bad dealings in Alberta are done with a knife.. My belt always has a leatherman, a mini mag flash light and my hunting/skinning knife.
Oddly enough, I'm actually an honorary citizen of Calgary. In a past life I spent a great deal of time there for work, enough so that I did a lot of charity organizational work with my teammates when we had the time.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oddly enough, I'm actually an honorary citizen of Calgary. In a past life I spent a great deal of time there for work, enough so that I did a lot of charity organizational work with my teammates when we had the time.
Calgary!!!!!!! I dunno if we can be friends... I'm near Edmonton.. hahahahahaha I'm sure you know of the Edmonton / Calgary deal... BTW.. Did you hear of the flooding.. The stadium was flooded up to row 16....

·
Registered
100 Posts
you know what I have read here....and this seems to be the problem....all this talk about packing guns, knives and so forth....this is part of the problem....how about some common sense?

1.) forget about dealing with Craigslist or various similar sites due to fear.

2.) Use common sense....have 2 people there during the transaction at all times!!! safety in numbers, and no violence.

The situation with the truck had 2 people there looking at the truck to just one Tim Bosma. Then they went on a test drive which in my opinion should have never happened if common sense was used, but he made a mistake and he paid for it. If there was another person there on behalf of Tim, he might still be here. Hopefully that other person would have been deterrent enough to have the killers think twice.

we always dont have to goto the worst common denominator in people. In SHTF scenario, yes I agree, protect your stuff, but all in all most people are good at heart and arent there to steal your stuff and using caution is only common sense. Carrying a gun to a transaction almost hoping that something goes down seems to be an accident waiting to happen.

·
Super Moderator
9,673 Posts
you know what I have read here....and this seems to be the problem....all this talk about packing guns, knives and so forth....this is part of the problem....how about some common sense?
There was a time not that long ago when you didn't have to think about protecting yourself because things like this didn't happen. Now people are willing to kill you for what you have. Do you honestly think the reason people are getting killed because they choose to carry protection? We wouldn't have to keep any type of protection if people didn't feel entitled to take what you have earned. You have the right not to protect your family and trust everyone. Me, I will do my best to protect me and mine.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I see what you are saying Inceptor and you are right...you have the right to or not to protect what is yours....I agree that you should protect yourself at all times and perhaps this is the difference in living in Canada and the United States as our gun laws are strict here....but here is what I am saying in a nutshell....

Protect yourself yes....but isnt common sense the better option?

If you dont feel right about situation....dont keep yourself in it.....leaving or cancelling the sale is easier than getting into a gun or knife fight. And chances are I would go with my gut feelings. At least I walk away from it, and with a gun, less chances of walking away from anywhere......

My point is bringing a gun or knife into the situation instead of using common sense just adds to the problem and does nothing towards the solution. Just because you have a gun, doesnt mean that you have to use it. Me personally...I would have at least my Buck knife on me hidden, but if the deal didnt pass the smell test.....I would get out of the situation asap.....and I would be sure to have another person there during the deal as you never know....once again..common sense prevails.

If someone iffy was walking down the street and your gut feeling was that you thought that you might be in trouble would you?

Take a different direction, keeping yourself in the open in full eyesight of people hoping to lose the persons interest? or brandish your gun and hope to god that he doesnt do the same....the first rule of self defence is "dont be there" whether its a bullet or a fist....lol

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I do see your point.. Tell the all of that to the fella over in Edmonton that went to buy something and got jumped by three fellas , held at knife point and robbed of a couple grand and his car that they later retrieved. What feels fine can change in a heart beat and it could be to late by then.

Yes i do believe you are right in the Tim Bosma situation.. Never let someone you don't know sit behind you thats just looking for trouble.

I would have at least my Buck knife on me hidden,
I live beside a park that has bears, cougars, moose, deer, yoties and i have seen a couple wolves.. My knife is not a folding blade, not possible to hide.. I would much rather be able to walk then fight.. rather much both parties part ways and carry on with life but some times there is no choice but to defend yourself. What seems to work for me the best is to show i am able to defend myself..

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have to disagree with some of you. I have bought and sold from CL for many years, hundreds of items. When buying, I actually prefer to go to their house. Anyone who allows a stranger to buy their product from their house, is more than likely trust worthy. Who will rob you at their own home?

When selling, I prefer to sell at a neutral place but have sold at my home too. I typically speak over the phone and have a conversation before allowing them to have my address.

In every one of these transactions, I rarely go in the house or let them in my house. Front drive way is good enough. However, I have entered people's home when buying stuff and most of the time they are typical normal people..

Bottom line,
if it feels shady, it probably is. I always avoid buying stuff from ghetto cities like Oakland, Richmond, etc here in CA. I tend to search in nicer upscale areas, better deals too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts