Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone has a keyless door lock and do you think this is a secure option for an exterior door. Also I would assume most of these run on batteries, is that a deal-breaker?
Door Dead bolt Fixture Houseplant Window

·
Registered
449 Posts
I did this to our RV but I can not get used to the idea of doing it to the House. Looking forward to hearing from someone that did.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Not for nothing but did you say keyless?
Home appliance Nickel Circle Font Electronic device

Reactions: Toefoot

·
Premium Member
9,850 Posts
I think @Orocky is pointing out the "keyless" lock has a keyhole. Kind of ironic.

I don't see an issue if it has the back up key in case the battery dies.

That said, I did watch a show about how criminals break into homes with alarms. Apparently you can sprinkle talcum powder on a key pad and blow off the residue and reveal which buttons have human oil on them. Now instead of having 10 numbers to chose from the thief only has 4. Something to think about.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,477 Posts
I have an innate district of electronics. How ever I do not see it as more or less effective than a key alone.

Reactions: SOCOM42 and Toefoot

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I think @Orocky is pointing out the "keyless" lock has a keyhole. Kind of ironic.

I don't see an issue if it has the back up key in case the battery dies.

That said, I did watch a show about how criminals break into homes with alarms. Apparently you can sprinkle talcum powder on a key pad and blow off the residue and reveal which buttons have human oil on them. Now instead of having 10 numbers to chose from the thief only has 4. Something to think about.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
You beat me to it, . . . that was going to be my posting.

Electronic locks??? Maybe for my foot locker where I keep socks and underwear, . . . certainly nothing more important.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
354 Posts
@Sasquatch Thanks for magnifying my point "I think @Orocky is pointing out the "keyless" lock has a keyhole. Kind of ironic", I should have ended the sentence with a smiley.

I was giving the thread more thought and wished to further comment that were I to spend additional ca$h on securing my BOL and/or primary residence, I'd invest in one of those reinforcing kits (heavier strike plate and door frame). Home Depot has a video showing a fellow, or should I say felon, using a universal lock pick, otherwise known as a size 12 shoe :). Throw everything in this paragraph out if you have glass sliding doors.
@hwminich, If the intent is to make it more convenient than giving individuals in a large family their own keys or like me, the entranceway is dark and the (looks like) keypad is lit then thumbs up.
Respect to all.

Reactions: Slippy

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
If you like the lock, and talcum powder is the weak point of the system, then periodically touch all buttons.

Crooks hate to spend time. If they know the keypad is going to be a time-waster they might leave--or crowbar the door open...

·
Registered
11,822 Posts
I can't get used to the idea of a keypad entry or keyless. Call me old school. Besides, money would be better spent on hardening the door and door frame I would think.

Reactions: SOCOM42

·
Registered
9,395 Posts
If you like the lock, and talcum powder is the weak point of the system, then periodically touch all buttons.

Crooks hate to spend time. If they know the keypad is going to be a time-waster they might leave--or crowbar the door open...
As a side note:

Whenever you use any keypad, you should always touch the other buttons. Even if lightly enough not to actuate them.

Thieves standing in line behind you at the market can use an IR attachment on their smart phone and identify they four keys you pressed. That narrows down the amount of work needed to hack your card.

If your gun safe uses a keypad, use the buttons that aren't part of the combo every time you open the safe. This gives all the keys equal wear. If only four digits are worn, again, the bad guys have a huge advantage.

·
Banned
21,290 Posts
We put one of these "Keyless" locks in one of our most used entry doors. So far its been convenient and just as safe as a regular style key lock. The "Keyless" lock also has a key hole in case the batteries die. About once a year an indicator begins to go off signaling that the batteries are getting old. Pop in 4 AA batteries and we are good to go for another year or so.

As far as safety, If anyone wants to break into a conventional style house, windows are a pretty easy access way.

Most men with average or above average strength can easily kick in most doors too. Hell, I can take a battery powered Sawz-All and cut any house that has siding made of vinyl, wood, fiber cement siding etc. Once through the siding, cut through the sheathing usully OSB or plywood then through the insulation and interior drywall in a couple of minute. A Sawz-All can cut through wood studs pretty damn quick too.

Anyway, the "Keyless" locks are OK in my book.

·
Registered
9,395 Posts
.......... Once through the siding, cut through the sheathing usully OSB or plywood........
These days, most of the sheathing is ½" foam. Only in the corners is it plywood/OSB for wind shear.

Vinyl siding, foam sheathing, fiberglass insulation and 3/8" drywall.... fu#%, you can kick your way through that.

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
Keyless entry locks are common in B&B's, so there's no need to deal with the slime that rents them... and the owner can change the combo after each guest leaves.

Rancher

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
We have key-pad locks on two external doors and three internal doors. They work just fine.
We change batteries once a year... my wife and I share a code, my kids each have their own codes for emergencies.
We still use deadbolts for night time or if we're going to be away for more than a day.

Reactions: Slippy

·
Registered
448 Posts
Hmm I don’t even know where the key to my front door is. Lived in the same residence (more or less) or thereabouts most of my life and I’ve never lock the door, door Only gets locked once I am inside. I guess that’s kind a ass backwards. God bless Podunk maine!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Hmm I don't even know where the key to my front door is. Lived in the same residence (more or less) or thereabouts most of my life and I've never lock the door, door Only gets locked once I am inside. I guess that's kind a ass backwards. God bless Podunk maine!
Not quite as lucky here in Scarborough.. 15+ years ago we were always "unlocked", but the slime is oozing south from Portland these days.

Reactions: Slippy and maine_rm

·
Registered
138 Posts
We have had a keypad dead bolt for a little over a year. Its got a key backup outside and inside.
As far as the "theifs" sprinkling power on the key pad to see what numbers..good luck. You think i have never pressed the wrong number?

Its handy for many reasons. Just one is giving to a family member to let the dogs out. Something happens and i dont want them to have the code i just change it. But thats never happened.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts