Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 9mm Kel-Tec pistol that Zimmerman used to send Trayvon to hell malfunctioned. The single round fired was still in the chamber. Good thing that a single round did the job.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I think it was was 1, because it was a Keltec and not that good of a pistol to start with, and 2, that he probably didn't maintain it well. I guess there's always the chance of 3, that the pistol was pressed into or against one of their bodies hampering the slide movement or barrel. Lucky for him one round was enough.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
According to the testimoney the muzzle was probably in contact with the hoodie but about 4" from him body.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I've got a Keltec 9 mm. It is far from my favorite pistol and I consider it marginally reliable. I have never carried it on a daily basis. It usually just rides in my ranch truck along with several other weapons.

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
Funny! Have had mine for going on 20 years. Never malfunctioned and it went thru the police academy course of almost 1500 rounds with no hickups. My guess is he could have limp wristed it and not provided enough resistance to function properly; it got tangled up in the clothing or press of bodies; or some of today's ammo - especially the practice ammo - is coming out not 100% to spec. We checked a batch of 380 ammo a couple of years ago and the rim width varied considerably. Didn't see what brand or style of cartridge that was used/ Did I miss that

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The type of ammo used was not released to my knowledge but it appeared to be excellent in bullet performance.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Autos and mostly the small ones can fail to eject and chamber the next round if anything interferes with the cycle.
Your own hand touching the the slide , limp grip other things coming in contact with the weapon

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I do not own a keltec, but I believe that there is more than just the firearm malfunctioned. In such a close fight as this, there are more thing like shooting one handing and limp wristing the firearm. Will never know.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I do not own a keltec, but I believe that there is more than just the firearm malfunctioned. In such a close fight as this, there are more thing like shooting one handing and limp wristing the firearm. Will never know.
I completely agree with this. Furthermore, those of you who believe that revolvers are infallible in this regard are somewhat misguided in your thinking. There are plenty of incidents where a revolver, upon discharging while in contact with the "target", has been completely disabled with bits of bone and gore getting into the cylinder and action. Furthermore, in many such cases, a semi-auto may be brought back into service with a standard malfunction clearance drill, whereas a revolver will likely require a much more extensive cleaning to return it to service.

In close contact CQB, any firearm may malfunction after the discharge of the first round...regardless of the size or perceived "quality" of the firearm. For those of you slamming the Kel-tec as being a sub-par quality firearm...I am aware of at least 2 incidences where police officers, one armed with a Glock, one with Beretta, fired one round in a self-defense situation, after which their sidearm was disabled. Afterward, both guns were tested, and were found to be in perfect functioning condition. So, don't be so quick to blame KT, or GZ for that matter, because he perhaps "probably didn't maintain it well."

Tim

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
TLock I'm sure you heard it somewhere but I have neither seen nor read of revolver failing to function in this situation. I'll continue to depend on my revolvers. Enjoy AZ in general and Phoenix in particular it's a good place to be, but have a back up.

·
Banned
148 Posts
Funny! Have had mine for going on 20 years. Never malfunctioned and it went thru the police academy course of almost 1500 rounds with no hickups. My guess is he could have limp wristed it and not provided enough resistance to function properly; it got tangled up in the clothing or press of bodies; or some of today's ammo - especially the practice ammo - is coming out not 100% to spec. We checked a batch of 380 ammo a couple of years ago and the rim width varied considerably. Didn't see what brand or style of cartridge that was used/ Did I miss that
I agree Sarge74202. I've had my P 11 for years and never had a problem as long as I use kel tec mags. Non Kel Tec mags (S&W 59) has caused issues. Great little carry gun!

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Revolvers are great but being able to run one reliably is sort of a dying art. In a close quarters fight like that loose clothing can get caught up in the rotating cylinder or caught in front of the hammer as easily as it could foul an auto. I may not like Kel Tec's handguns but anything is better than nothing and it would appear that it did the job.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Revolvers are great but being able to run one reliably is sort of a dying art. In a close quarters fight like that loose clothing can get caught up in the rotating cylinder or caught in front of the hammer as easily as it could foul an auto. I may not like Kel Tec's handguns but anything is better than nothing and it would appear that it did the job.
Hasn't happened to me yet but when I practice firing from the pocket I'm using a hammerless SP 101.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Hasn't happened to me yet but when I practice firing from the pocket I'm using a hammerless SP 101.
That must be hard on the clothing budget.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts