Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
And if we get hit with an EMP over the 35KV that was what the test was limited to there will be a lot of spare gas and oil on the road. There were two vehicles that were disabled to the point where they needed to be taken to a shop to be repaired. A small nuclear weapon detonated in near earth orbit would produce an EMP with an E1 yield exceding 1million volts at its "ground zero" point and it would cover the entire USA with more than 100KV E1 pulse.
They stopped the testing at voltages that caused any damage because they were responsible for the condition of the vehicles. They also were not allowed to report which vehicles were more protected or more susceptible to EMP damage.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I'm glad to read things like that. However, in the event of an EMP or large-scale electric grid failure we still have an issue of getting fuel. While the local stations are going to have some in the tanks that won't last too long. Since most gasoline is moved via pipeline to distribution facilities, that will quickly dry up. Trucks can only haul so much.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Here's another option you can consider: sign up and become a reserve deputy, officer, ranger, etc. This has multiple advantages:

1) You get to serve your community
2) You get some great training (I'm taking a POST certified knife fighting class on the 14th and am awaiting the final details for an FBI sponsored handgun class at Quantico and a man-tracking class this fall)
3) You get to keep weapons that could be confiscated from civilians post-SHTF
4) Ammo is about 1/3 the cost
5) You have access to gear that is restricted to civilians
6) You are seen as one of the "good guys" by the govt and don't have to deal with the harassment (pre, trans, and post-SHTF)
6) Your vehicle has a better chance of staying with you since you can claim it for official use (post-SHTF)
Not bad, but you are bound by an oath not to take you and yours and head for the hills to let others sort out the chaos.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Odds are that fancy GPS or Google maps we're all used to won't be doing so well. If your planned route suddenly isn't an option for any reason, you better be flexible!

Seems like a no brainer. But how many of us actually have a current one in place ready to use (I didn't till yesterday :D)?
View attachment 2915 View attachment 2916

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
We,being in a very rural area will only bugout if need be.but if something does go down,I recently scored a points type distributor for the 460 (7.5 l.)in my 86 f-350 that I can slap in.this would take me about 10 minutes.I was thinking of putting it in anyway and instead of points having a pertronix ignitor in the cup and putting the points,condenser and some spare screws in a box and tossing them in my truck tool box.I really do like the trouble free stock ford module and pickup though and also thought about emp proofing a set of those.I am worried about my voltage regulator that it is also electronic and would stash one away too.other than that, the only other electronic in my truck is the cd player in the dash.no biggie if that dies.

·
Registered
559 Posts
And if we get hit with an EMP over the 35KV that was what the test was limited to there will be a lot of spare gas and oil on the road. There were two vehicles that were disabled to the point where they needed to be taken to a shop to be repaired. A small nuclear weapon detonated in near earth orbit would produce an EMP with an E1 yield exceding 1million volts at its "ground zero" point and it would cover the entire USA with more than 100KV E1 pulse.
They stopped the testing at voltages that caused any damage because they were responsible for the condition of the vehicles. They also were not allowed to report which vehicles were more protected or more susceptible to EMP damage.
Can you provide anything to show it would be a 100kv pulse? Everything I've been able to find puts the max at about 10kv and my understanding was the tests were stronger than what could actually happen.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
We,being in a very rural area will only bugout if need be.but if something does go down,I recently scored a points type distributor for the 460 (7.5 l.)in my 86 f-350 that I can slap in.this would take me about 10 minutes.I was thinking of putting it in anyway and instead of points having a pertronix ignitor in the cup and putting the points,condenser and some spare screws in a box and tossing them in my truck tool box.I really do like the trouble free stock ford module and pickup though and also thought about emp proofing a set of those.I am worried about my voltage regulator that it is also electronic and would stash one away too.other than that, the only other electronic in my truck is the cd player in the dash.no biggie if that dies.
Other stuff that could get damaged. Electronic fuel pump, alternator, coil, starter, starter solenoid, fuses, even the contacts in the ignition switch its self. The most fragile of the bunch will as you already figure will be the ignition module, that you could buy a spare of for less than $50 and keep safe and secure in your gun safe. ;)

Even more modern cars with CPU's or EPU's whatever you choose to call them, are safer than most people think. Those computers are VERY well shielded in most cars. BUT ignition modules in both old cars and newer ones as oldguy mentions are usually not.

If your car IS effected by emp and something simple like the stereo stops working, pull the fuses to it. The shorts in it could drain your battery down.

·
Banned
148 Posts
Let's say that you happen to have an EMP proof vehicle and you are one of the few people able to move around. The next question is how do you keep this vehicle? I'm sure most of us have read the book, One Second After, by William Forstchen. We all know that our local, county and state governments will not be prepared for this event and will not have vehicles operating. It is really hard to tell the State Police that they can't have your vehicle when they demand it with a few drawn guns.
If you're riding around town and the local police or military tries to stop and confiscate your vehicle. Then I would say you are not in your BOV. Your BOV is designed to get you to your bug out location before the local police and military has time to act. If you wait until these groups and others (bands of looters) have time to organize you increase your chances of losing everything not just your vehicle. Martial Law would be in effect most likely.

One Second After was a good read but a lot of holes.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Can you provide anything to show it would be a 100kv pulse? Everything I've been able to find puts the max at about 10kv and my understanding was the tests were stronger than what could actually happen.
I have posted the link a number of times - apparently very few people want to take the time to read the documentation.
Here it is again:
Electromagnetic Pulse Protection - EMP - Futurescience.com

There are links within that document to other sources that should also be studied. The more information you have the better you can protect what you want to protect.
You will definitely want to keep a spare diode block and regulator module for your alternator. The coil is likely to be fine as are any switches in your car. If it contains semiconductors then it needs to be protected.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I have posted the link a number of times - apparently very few people want to take the time to read the documentation.
Here it is again:
Electromagnetic Pulse Protection - EMP - Futurescience.com

There are links within that document to other sources that should also be studied. The more information you have the better you can protect what you want to protect.
You will definitely want to keep a spare diode block and regulator module for your alternator. The coil is likely to be fine as are any switches in your car. If it contains semiconductors then it needs to be protected.
Read all that, even they say starfish prime was 5-5.6kv, the big one the Rooskies did in Kazakhstan might have reached 10kv, and that they say " There are reports that may be possible to make nuclear weapons that will push beyond this 50,000 volts per meter limit" although not demonstrated.

I still can't find anything about how the EMP commission 'didn't want to damage the cars' outside of anecdotal like on that site.

Dunno. Not trying to pick a fight, but I just can't find anything that makes me think otherwise - there will be a lot of cars that will be able to run - but the gas and the infrastructure to support running cars might not be there.

As stated above - if bugging out - you should be inside the OODA loop of the .gov and looters, it's after bugging out that you would have a problem because you evidently have resources other might want.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
You are a fast reader; over 25 minutes you managed to read a 20 page report (not all on EMP) and visit the more than 22 other sites and read all that too!

You go ahead and believe what you will. It really won't matter anyway because if we do get hit by an HEMP there won't be anything to use your electronics for.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I have a ford F350 with 7.3 power stroke, 4dr 4wd long bed. Our plan is to harden the vehicles body panels, install bullet resistant glass and a box for personnel. Further a armor plate louver system will be included that sits around the cab. Hardened electrical system for emp’s and remote mounted radiator. Armor plated floors and shielding around the engine compartment. I have some of the materials but have a ways to go. Oh, we have also come up with a hydraulic siphon system to harvest oil from transformers. Pull up, work some switches, punch through and siphon out the oil. Filter and run. I have tested this idea and it works great. No shooting holes and trying to catch the oil with a bucket. lol

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
What about all the poor bastards flying at the time of an EMP

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Although most commercial aircraft are double insulated they may not function well after an HEMP. If you are in the air and see a bright flash above you - start looking for a place to set it down. As long as the engines are working they will likely continue, at least for a while. Get the flaps and gear down and start your glide slope. The electronics may go out but the rest of the electrical system might keep working.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Although most commercial aircraft are double insulated they may not function well after an HEMP. If you are in the air and see a bright flash above you - start looking for a place to set it down. As long as the engines are working they will likely continue, at least for a while. Get the flaps and gear down and start your glide slope. The electronics may go out but the rest of the electrical system might keep working.
PaulS are you a pilot Ive been thinking of getting into flying maybe a Mooney M20J

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
If an EMP were to happen, wouldn't the roads be littered with non running vehicles?
Seems to me that would make travel a bit difficult
my thoughts exactly, but with all the information/mis information out there, I can't give a accurate prediction of what effects a mass emp event will cause... I will agree with possible power supply issues, damage to some electronic devices (can't give details when I can't find any accurate information...)

so when the day comes, I have food, water, and the basic ability to defend myself, that's all that really matters, all other "items" i can live without

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
PaulS are you a pilot Ive been thinking of getting into flying maybe a Mooney M20J
No, not a pilot yet. I have a few designs for ultralights and would like to build one in the future. I know a bit about planes just because I like to learn. Planes that are made to fly IFR (on instruments) will normally be protected against lightning strikes but even a lightning strike can play havoc with the electronics on the plane. Most military aircraft are hardened against EMP but it might not be perfect protection against an HEMP.

While my brother was going through flight school I took advantage of the situation to learn as much as I could without investing the $2000 to go through the school. I have the mind to be a good "by-the-book" pilot but I would never make a great pilot because I don't have the "heart" for it. I love the idea of flying and go up with friends whenever the opportunity presents itself. I can control the plane in flight and make decent turns but have never actually piloted a plane. Owning a plane is an expensive proposition. You have the license to get, flight hours that have to be maintained, log books, aircraft inspections and maintenance to pay for.... that is the reason for the ultralight, it gets me in the air without all the regs and I will do the maintenance but there are no rules that mandate time cycles. (more freedom)

When you get your plane I will go flying whenever you need the company - heck I'll go even if you don't want the company. ;)

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Will I be keeping my BOV? He'll yes. I have a panel of toggles. They have to be in certain positions for the truck to start.

There are about 100 possible positions/combos.

Plus it's a 72. It came with points. I converted to electronic. I carry extra everything. I even have a points dizzy to put back in if needed :)

21 - 40 of 44 Posts