Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone still around in this forum from KS who would like to chat about ideas... if so, lets get a conversation started.

·
Registered
36 Posts
So what do you think the most likely threats would be to cause S to HTF in Kansas? I've read that Kansas would definitely be in danger if there was an EMP attack because it's location makes it the connecting point for different large swaths of the grid. There aren't too many cities, but Kansas is known for it's farms. I worry that those in affected cities during a large scale disaster might flood into Kansas in the case of a food shortage because they might assume that it would be easier to get food if they are closer to where the farms are. The only real target during a nuclear war in the region would be KC, maybe Wichita. We have a great deer population now, but if there was a major food shortage I think that so many people would go out to shoot some food that people might hunt the game to near extinction and fish out the rivers and streams in a matter of a month or two. If the government went full blown authoritarian Kansas would for sure once again be a major civil war battleground. Large numbers of troops might occupy it due to the high percentage of people with guns who would likely resist and the fact that it's central location would make it a good staging ground for operations anywhere else in the continental 48. The ogalalla is drying up, and if a long term drought struck much of Kansas would be left without enough food even for itself, much less enough to feed the rest of the country. I do think that it being so essential for food production might give Kansas some material advantages in the case of a long term food/fuel shortage or EMP, because restoring agricultural productivity would be the government's #1 priority.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts
I have driven through Kansas on a couple of occasions ( Don't ask ) and my Mom currently lives on a farm near a backwater town in the middle of nowhere in Kansas. It's on my list of possible BOL's if I am forced. Good place to be in the initial stages of SHTF, but by no means will it escape the carnage of a SHTF scenario unscathed.

·
Registered
Firearms & Self Defense.
4,614 Posts
. The only real target during a nuclear war in the region would be KC, maybe Wichita.
Not sure why any bad guys would want to to attack Kansas..but who knows? Wheat could become valuable one of these days
Kansas City is a primary nuclear target for Russia and China; since if they kill KC, they kill a major farming & trade hub. It would be one of the first cities destroyed, in an atomic sneak attack.
And I might add, Dallas-Ft Worth would be struck, right along with KC in that attack. They are too important, and too critical to America.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's hard to say what threat KS would be specifically. Because it's centrally located, it along with Nebraska Colorado, Oklahoma and Missouri could equally be at risk for that reason. But, it may depend on who's shooting them off and how many they have. If they only have one and want to make the best of it, why not go for most population, Eastern seaboard, try and get NY, DC, Atlanta and Chicago if you could, or a spot where population and power grids are both big.

It's hard to imagine KS having such a big Deer population that it becomes a reason to come here. I'd guess every state has a population of something worth hunting. Kansas has a few military bases, but nothing so sexy that makes it appealing. Wichita lost the B1s many years ago. It would take a lot of effort to turn a combine into a tank or personel carrier.

Hutchinson has the 2nd largest storage mill in the world, full of grain and a salt mine... don't know if that makes them a target.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts