Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I gotta question...

I started a new job about 2 months ago, and it's a safety requirement to wear steel toed boots. I am a "Cowboy" boot wearer so didn't see a need in changing any footwear habits when shifting to steel toed...so I stuck with a brand I know, Justin's.. Apparently I was WRONG with thinking the same thing over steel toes.

What started out as comfy, has recently took a turn for the worse and I'm hating these boots. They are completely broke in at this point, I have even added insoles to them to try to help, but I can't seem to get a comfortable feel to happen.

Justin's are a comfortable boot, and I'm wondering if its not the socks...LOL I feel as if I can feel every thread in the socks by 3 in the afternoon. My feet do end up wet half the time, and I'm wondering if maybe two pair of sock would help that feeling...?

Honestly, there is no reason for us to have to wear steel toes for our job description, its an insurance precaution which is absurd. We lift nothing heavy...use nothing that can take toes off or even mash them...

Any suggestions? I'm thinking about buying another pair and get composite toed this time....

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
I am an Ariat guy myself. I have a pair of Justin dress boots which I believe to be a modern incarnation of a medieval torture device. But then, none of my boots are steel toed.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I have to wear steel-toe steel-shank boots for work.

You should try upgrading your socks first. If your feet are getting wet, the sock gets its fibers compressed and you lose most of the cushioning socks offer, then your feet hurt.

I always buy Red Wing boots for steel toes. They make a cowboy style pull on boot that is very tough and all-day comfortable for the guys I work with who wear them (all day on concrete). Link:

Red Wing Safety Boots - 5829 Worx Men's - 10-inch Pull-On Boot Brown

I wear the 8" lace up boots in black - they look like combat boots or logger's boots. Tough but very comfortable. I wear cotton dress socks under cotton athletic socks and take my boots off during breaks to let my socks dry out.

The lace-ups are side-zips, too - makes getting them on and off real easy.

We get a free pair every year, or if they fail, sooner. Mine always last the whole year.

Red Wing stores have a computerized shoe sizer. They found my exact size and special order my boots. Great people to deal with. Free shipping to their store and they sell the good socks there, too.

Steel shanks have saved my feet twice. Not very flexible, but beats getting impaled....

·
Registered
904 Posts
I wore Justins for years until I switched to Ariats. I like them so much I never looked back. I do know that Red Wing makes some really good work boots but I have no personal experience with steel toed shoes. You might try wearing a thin pair of poly socks under a light/medium weight pair of wool socks and see if that helps. It works for my mountain boots.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Inor...I have to laugh, I agree with that statement right now. I started to go with the Ariats, MOF, had one on the left foot and a Justin's on the right. The Ariats actually felt more comfortable, but I went with the Justin's because they were lighter. (I detest steel toes)

Verteidiger~~ I didn't even think about Redwings at the time, my choices were somewhat limited during that hasty shopping trip, and don't even remember seeing a pair on display. But that would've beat what I have going on right now. And I have been upgrading the socks, Lord help me, I've bought atleast 8-10 different pairs and have paid some moola for them. My husbands got this crooked grin going on cause he's perplexed at my not so frugile attitude on the sock purchases. I'm a cheap ass, except when it comes to FEET, which even throws my kids for a loop. I'll spend a $150.00 on Tennis Shoes in a heartbeat and not bat an eye at it, cause you only have one set of feet and I do not want to have to deal with foot pain. Boots...I'll drop a pretty penny for them as well.

Go2ndAmendment, I have done what yall have suggested as of today, went with two pair of socks. Felt a lot better, but got some rubbing in another spot this afternoon. Gonna switch them up and try the thicker on the outside tomorrow. It seemed to help.

If this fails, come Friday I'm going boot shopping again....I guess I'll kick these to the curb and call it good.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Same here,
I was always a Justin Boots fan but have now ended up switchin to Ariat. I've never used the steel toed versions though. After I buy a new pair of boot I always come home,take em out of the box and toss them in a water trough for 12-24 hours. Let em dry and they are perfect.. The first time my fiance saw me do it I thought she was goin to dump in her pants.. She got me a pair for my birthday. I said "Thanks baby". and walked outside and tossed em in the water. The look on her face was priceless. I am actually laughing as I am writing this..lol

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Same here,
I was always a Justin Boots fan but have now ended up switchin to Ariat. I've never used the steel toed versions though. After I buy a new pair of boot I always come home,take em out of the box and toss them in a water trough for 12-24 hours. Let em dry and they are perfect.. The first time my fiance saw me do it I thought she was goin to dump in her pants.. She got me a pair for my birthday. I said "Thanks baby". and walked outside and tossed em in the water. The look on her face was priceless. I am actually laughing as I am writing this..lol
LOL, I've actually done that, ...walked off in the creek and soaked them and then worn them..but I'm not in my 20's anymore, and as bad as I hate to say this, I have trauma induced arthritis in my feet. (couldn't be the way of life, my weight and the injuries??? lol) I actually thought by my feet getting wet at work like they do it would end up being the same scenario but I guess that steel toe plays a different role in finding my comfort zone.

You know...I actually have a pair of Laredo Lace up's that I'd give my eye teeth to find another pair of. These are (get this) right at 20 years old and I have worn the hair off of them (so to say) and can't wear them out to save my life. I have done everything imaginable to these boots and they are still going strong. They have a flex sole on them and I can literally fold them up like a piece of paper and scrunch them, the leather is so worn at this point that they fit like a glove..

Here's a pic to show you.... 1i23u8i97ci545.jpg 1i23u8i97ci548.jpg <is that not crazy?

And the boots from hell>>>> 1i23u8i97ci54.jpg

I think I just answered my own question...comparing the two boots, even though the top isn't steel toed, they are the most comfortable boots I've ever owned even when compared to all the others, and the last pair of Justin's I bought were ragged out after a year. These steel toed ones are only 2 months old...so...I guess I need to boycott Justin's all together....my feet are agreeing!

LOL

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Update: Mrs Inor bought a pair of lace up Ariats last weekend. They look like really nice hiking boots. After one day out trompin' through the woods with the dogs, her feet look like raw hamburger. She thinks they will be okay once broke in, but today she is not likin' Ariat a whole lot. I did not have that problem with breaking in my Ariat cowboy boots, but then I did break them in for the first two weeks from a saddle, not walking.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: Mrs Inor bought a pair of lace up Ariats last weekend. They look like really nice hiking boots. After one day out trompin' through the woods with the dogs, her feet look like raw hamburger. She thinks they will be okay once broke in, but today she is not likin' Ariat a whole lot. I did not have that problem with breaking in my Ariat cowboy boots, but then I did break them in for the first two weeks from a saddle, not walking.
I feel for her and her feet. Maybe I should've gone with a hiking type boot, of course would prefer my feet not to look like ground round afterwards. We do a lot of walking, and it's up and down small hills toting different work items. The area may not cover a 1/4 mile but by the time I have zig zagged it 20 times in a few hours, there is no telling at the steps I'm taking, then my feet are wet on an off through the day.

Sigh...LOL, it's not like this is a life-threatening issue, just some sore feet. I just hate having to spend the money on another pair of boots, but looking like I'm going to have to if I can't get these to budge somewhat.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
LOL, I've actually done that, ...walked off in the creek and soaked them and then worn them..but I'm not in my 20's anymore, and as bad as I hate to say this, I have trauma induced arthritis in my feet. (couldn't be the way of life, my weight and the injuries??? lol) I actually thought by my feet getting wet at work like they do it would end up being the same scenario but I guess that steel toe plays a different role in finding my comfort zone.

You know...I actually have a pair of Laredo Lace up's that I'd give my eye teeth to find another pair of. These are (get this) right at 20 years old and I have worn the hair off of them (so to say) and can't wear them out to save my life. I have done everything imaginable to these boots and they are still going strong. They have a flex sole on them and I can literally fold them up like a piece of paper and scrunch them, the leather is so worn at this point that they fit like a glove..

Here's a pic to show you.... View attachment 1997 View attachment 1998 <is that not crazy?

And the boots from hell>>>> View attachment 1999

I think I just answered my own question...comparing the two boots, even though the top isn't steel toed, they are the most comfortable boots I've ever owned even when compared to all the others, and the last pair of Justin's I bought were ragged out after a year. These steel toed ones are only 2 months old...so...I guess I need to boycott Justin's all together....my feet are agreeing!

LOL
I had a pair like that. They were lace ups, but they did not go as high as hiking boots. Around here, we called them chuck-a-boots. They were great - solid as iron but felt like bedroom slippers. After almost 20 years of wearing them the shoe guy refused to try and fix them further. I do not even know the brand -something like "Bob's pretty good boots" or something.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL...I looked for another pair last night like those I pictured...and can't find any. They are considered "vintage" ...lol Probably worth more now than the hundred bucks I gave for them 20 years ago....lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts