Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My highest concern, besides a morbid fear of flying, is that obummer and the house create a fiscal crisis that shuts down air traffic control and I get stuck in Ireland.

My wife and I leave for a 2 year planned vacation to Dublin, Kilarney, and Belfast tomorrow. Our return flight is set for the 22nd of the month. We celebrate 20 VERY HAPPY years on 10/16! She always wanted to do that in Kilarney where her dad was born.

So NO SHTF events for two dang weeks...thems are the rules because I can't take the 9mm and it bugs me.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Congratulations to you and Mrs Ripon!

I will be in Canada next week when we "hit the borrowing wall". If the U.S. does go "splat", at least I will be able to use Canadian transport to get to Thunder Bay, ON. From there it is only about a 300 mile walk to my front door. :)

Have fun in Ireland and drink a pint for me. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Airline employee here so far no rumors of any shutdown or cutbacks, we'll see. Who are you flying on to Ireland?

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
United SFO to Chicago / Aer Lingus Chicago / Dublin same on the return trip. Good to hear no one is talking shut down on your end - I'm glad to hear that - its impossible to prep properly in a piece of luggage and a carry on.

Airline employee here so far no rumors of any shutdown or cutbacks, we'll see. Who are you flying on to Ireland?

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I believe the Aer Lingus ORD-DUB flight is on an Airbus A-330 a nice large widebody twin engine, no worries! Enjoy and congrats!

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
United SFO to Chicago / Aer Lingus Chicago / Dublin same on the return trip. Good to hear no one is talking shut down on your end - I'm glad to hear that - its impossible to prep properly in a piece of luggage and a carry on.
Aer Lingus Teoranta (EI) #122 Flight Tracker ? FlightAware

Here is today's ORD-DUB flight. This will give you some info and route will probably be close to what they will have tomorrow night.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
You got your two weeks betting they will be flying

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That was our flight in. Pilot remained at 38k till 40 miles out. Seemed kind of late and rapid for the decent but all here. Damn exchange rate is a killer. Got to go exchange CA's American for Euro's. That's all that's on my agenda today.

That airbus was only a tiny bit more comfy than the united 757. Seats are just too cramped. Feel like a sardine. Anyone over 6' suffers. My wife is 5-9 and wasn't comfy either. It's 2:30 pm here. Off to catch up on some sleep. It was 40 degrees when we landed. Nice!

Aer Lingus Teoranta (EI) #122 Flight Tracker ? FlightAware

Here is today's ORD-DUB flight. This will give you some info and route will probably be close to what they will have tomorrow night.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
That was our flight in. Pilot remained at 38k till 40 miles out. Seemed kind of late and rapid for the decent but all here. Damn exchange rate is a killer. Got to go exchange CA's American for Euro's. That's all that's on my agenda today.

That airbus was only a tiny bit more comfy than the united 757. Seats are just too cramped. Feel like a sardine. Anyone over 6' suffers. My wife is 5-9 and wasn't comfy either. It's 2:30 pm here. Off to catch up on some sleep. It was 40 degrees when we landed. Nice!
Ya they pack em in tight on just about any airline you ride now. Heck I work for an airline and I really don't like riding on any passenger flight anymore I'd much rather hop a cargo flight anytime. Crazy as it sounds the cargo flights have more room, nicer seats usually, and even better catering some of the time. Enjoy your time in Ireland and as of 10/13 still no talk of any shutdown/slowdown here but will keep my ear out for anything new.

Take care!

SDF880

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got to our main destination last night. Had a bit of a fit with the car rental place. I'll be yelping them to oblivion shortly. All else is going quite well, but I don't enjoy driving on the wrong side of the road. That takes much getting use too. Found a nice little cafe with a couple of cute Irish baristas my wife already slugged me in the arm for checking them out. Free wifi and tea for two is only 2 euros. Everything sure seems expensive. Diesel, our car is $1.499 plus VAT, and that is a liter and in euros. I believe that is close to $9 US per gallon. Driving 180km Ring of Kerry tomorrow and seeing my heritage "Ross" Castle.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Have a great time Ripon. Yes things are a bit expensive, but the memories you will be sharing are priceless.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Congratulations and many more anniversaries! Enjoy your trip and don’t worry we will keep an eye on things here in the U.S.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lir Cafe ?. Has been providing me free wifi and I enjoy a cup of coffee in the morning there (now). Our cottage is 8 miles out of town in the middle of no where, very cool. Lots of farms around, small cattle operatins mostly, and plenty of golf courses. The town Killarney is bustling tourist trap. A tourist shop on each corner between two restaurants. Found a grocery store, intriguing compared to the states, and one I love is their bacon. It's not like ours much much better. Bought $30 euros worth of goods there yesterday which will cover three full meals for both of us, some snacks, and fruit for the week. It's intriguing international travel being so focused on preps it's a little scary. Our cottage is one of 8 and they offer trap shooting which is kind a cool. I guess hand guns are banned but shotguns can be kept by lodges and such businesses. The cottage was bear of any necessities even TP. It's not a resort, nothing like it, but pretty cool non the less. Full kitchen, a fire place, and lots of wood.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Scalini Restaurant 85 Botanic Avenue Belfast BT7 1JL | Tel: (028) 9032 0303 | Home

We don't eat out a lot, and this was only the third meal out so far having eaten on grocery store food. What a cool story this restaurant has. Employs 105 college students and 5 managers all part of the family. No chain op. our 5 star meal was $35 US for two. One of the waitresses was an American from FL. When they figured out we were from the states the sent her over to take over.

Belfast is sure different. I met cops in Killarney with flash lights and mace. Here they carry HK 40s or 9mms, hi cap, tasers, and clubs. They drive around in armored patrol cars, very sad. My wife needs to see the titanic exhibit here tomorrow or I wouldn't have come. Still the train trip was the nicest and only $60 euros round trip. Flying home Tuesday.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Spending the last night now in Dublin. That train ride of Dublin / Belfast is really nice. Great bug out area :)
Flying home tomorrow with a 6 hr stop and see family lay over in Chicago. Long day, just want safe flights!

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Just checked our aviation forecast for ORD tomorrow and it looks good. A cold front is forecast to move thru Chicago area and it will be cool
tomorrow with a high of 46 dropping into the 30's after sunset. Also a chance of a few light showers in the area. No air traffic issues I'm
aware of so it should be pretty routine, have a nice ride!

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Here is a link to the Air Traffic status website. This comes from the ATC command center, cool stuff!

OIS

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for that. We land in Chicago around two and take off around eight, my wife keeps that schedule my deal was the car and trains.

Just checked our aviation forecast for ORD tomorrow and it looks good. A cold front is forecast to move thru Chicago area and it will be cool
tomorrow with a high of 46 dropping into the 30's after sunset. Also a chance of a few light showers in the area. No air traffic issues I'm
aware of so it should be pretty routine, have a nice ride!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts