Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the game bird and the trapping post a point or two was brought to mind.
That hunting game birds with a rifle and trapping may be illegal.
To my knowlege its cmpletely legal in my area but due diligence right... Its been 10-15 years since I took the course to get my hunting licence and ill admit I dont recall all the regs. So I looked them up in this case and I was correct.
You can hunt any game bird in my area with a rim fire rifle however it was the center fire that I was a bit cloudy on (glad I asked ;) )
As for trapping rabbits in this area its year round and you dont require any special licence, especially on your own property.
Im good to admit if I made a mistake, im prone to that sort of thing. In this case it was worth looking into :)

·
Registered
7,967 Posts
I could shoot grouse with a 22lr or bigger. In fact it would save the meat, since I seldom hit them on the wing.

In Michigan ,no rifles or pistols for turkey or waterfowl

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I could shoot grouse with a 22lr or bigger. In fact it would save the meat, since I seldom hit them on the wing.

In Michigan ,no rifles or pistols for turkey or waterfowl
That was the idea of the original post. I generally dont get a head or wing shot so I would prefer a rifle. I was just considering if I went with a rifle I wanted something a little more than .22 for a clean kill. Im strongly considering the .22 mag at this point.
I do wish we had turkey in my area (other than the politicians) :p Im told we do have feral hogs amd I know we have both sheep and goats. A few sheeple too lol sorry... One of those days ;)

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
I killed a partridge with a 30-30 one time... it was about 30 feet away and sort of rocky soil.. i fired just in front of it and killed it with the rocks that I kicked up...

·
Registered
637 Posts
Use a pellet gun. Practice on Necco wafers, bottle caps, whatever. Get close and shoot em in the head. But first, I think it might help if you were to watch a cat hunt, and then try to move like that. Slow, focused, and quiet. You only have to get close enough...all the elk hunters I know, me included, carry a .22 pistol of some sort, and many carry pellet pistols, just for grouse. Couldn't hook ya with the burlap bag and stick idea, huh?

·
Banned
4,010 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Use a pellet gun. Practice on Necco wafers, bottle caps, whatever. Get close and shoot em in the head. But first, I think it might help if you were to watch a cat hunt, and then try to move like that. Slow, focused, and quiet. You only have to get close enough...all the elk hunters I know, me included, carry a .22 pistol of some sort, and many carry pellet pistols, just for grouse. Couldn't hook ya with the burlap bag and stick idea, huh?
Haha well... No ? Although when you mention burlap sack and a stick it sure does give me ideas. Mostly ideas I should keep to myself ;)

Mmmmmmm possum! Never ate that... Sure would if I had the chance. I have a small property on the American side of the border about 14 hours or so from my current location. That area is crawling with possums, huge ones! They tend to get in the way of my motorcyle tires. Can never tell if they are roadkill or just playin possum :D

·
Banned
4,010 Posts
Personally I'd suggest not eating possum unless you're starving. They are as greasy (and tough) as the stories suggest. I just shoot the possums and more recently the skunks to keep them out of the cat food for Prissy the barn cat.

Those 22's wont fully penetrate an adult skunk either but will drop them. Unfortunately a skunk will still spray even if you blow it's brains out (literally). I've learned the hard way to not shoot until they are further away from my shop or house.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts