Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just out of curiosity, How many of you guys target practice while under stress? Going to the range 2-3 times a month plinking targets is completely different than what you would experience if SHTF.. Like I said, i'm just curious, I don't.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
I do and have for years

Reactions: AquaHull

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
That is something I would like to learn a lot more about. The only way I know to induce stress is to induce physical stress by lifting or jogging or some other physical activity right before going to the firing line. That might be okay, but I expect the mental stress would be less controllable in a SHTF situation. What do you guys suggest?

Not to mention, I am a 40-something year old guy so watching me jog ain't pretty.

·
Registered
277 Posts
My rifle range does CQB matches. I used to do them but it has got to big and expensive (so many contestants need to wait most of the day for your turn to shoot, need over 100 rifle rounds and 50 pistol) even with reloading my own ammo it got to expensive every month.

What they do is have human size cardboard with critical zones marked. Your timed for the entire run and time is added based on your accuracy, no time for critical zones, 1 second for non critical zones, 2 seconds for grazes, 5 seconds for misses, 10 seconds for hitting a hostage. Hostages are simulated by a different color target.

Yes you are running, taking cover etc, but the main stress is time, trying to do better then the last time.

Where I'm lacking is practice on moving targets. Other then doing trap and skeet (which I do) I don't know how to practice this with an AR. all the moving targets i've seen for sale (at a reasonable price) will get destroyed by the AR.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
We did some training for that in my LE years. Mostly just yelling at each other while enaged in target practice. I've also taken a course in shooting from a moving vehicle and using your vehicle where the animated teacher was doing his best to distract. Its not the same as being shot at though - that's durress or stress. Does being targeted by a rattle snake count?

·
Registered
938 Posts
To get my heart rate and respiration up, I simply fast walk to place or reset targets (@ 100 yards round trip) which makes you feel your pulse behind the optic, and affects your breath control. We are not allowed to run on the gun range.

You can do some push-ups too, back behind the firing line. That has the same effect.

If you cannot do those two things...time to put down the remote and get off the couch...no other way.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I think training to run your gun smoothly and shoot accurately is what is most important.

Being able to execute immediate action drllls (tap the mag, rack the slide, get off another shot), quick reloads via mag changes, clearing double feeds, and transitioning from rifle to sidearm, are all more important than someone yelling at you or racing a timer buzzer. Once you have done these drills to train your muscle memory to the point these become second nature, then induce time pressure and stress. But first run the gun right.

You cannot trigger an adrenaline dump too easily. But after you master gun handling, you can have a range buddy time you, or get in your grill while you shoot, if your range rules allow.

Otherwise I recommend paying the money to attend professional training courses/classes. I know two people who have accidentally shot themselves trying to be Johnny Tactical at the range - one literally shot himself in the foot doing speed draws, and the other shot himself in the leg when he ditched his carbine and his trigger snagged on his chest rig - bullet tore away a three inch chunk off his calf. He almost died from blood loss before and during the ambulance ride to the hospital.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.