Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current contract with my cell phone company timed out and I've been thinking about this for a while.

I purchased a $10 trac phone at Target tonight, and a 120 minute - 90 day talk package for $20

I am not sure what the coverage will be as I live slightly in to boonies and coverage is marginal, but on the other hand I only have a use for a cell phone when I am away from home and need to call someone.

If you need to call ME then call my land line, I am usually around.

I will let you know about coverage and reliability, I did a minimal package since I don't know if the coverage will be worth the cost. Currently I have $10 invested in the phone and $20 invested in my 120 minutes of coverage over the next 3 months.

IMO not only will my cell be realitively secure but I think I'll save about $1000 a year on cell phone costs.

Anyone else tried this?

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
With my travel, I spend a buttload on phone charges. Mrs Inor and I both have Android phones, plus a wireless internet connection and the base charge is close to $300 per month. But it is still cheaper than calling home every day on a land line. We should drop the land line since the only people that call us are the RNC and the Red Cross looking for money and blood, both of which I am short of today.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Just dumped Sprint and went to trac, I believe they share the same towers as the major carriers. Coverage should be pretty much the same.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Very interested to hear how this comes out. Wondering what your thoughts are on the tracking and data sales to the gubment that go on with all the big carriers.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I am also curious as to how it (trac phone) compares to Verizon/ATT/US Cellular. Do you get a new phone number each time you purchase a trac phone? I dropped my land line years ago.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Looked at it but US Cellular still beats it for us.
Land line was cut in 2008 had enough of there BS

·
Registered
6,254 Posts
Been using trac phone for years. It has never let me down even when traveling, truck driver. Cost me only about 10 bucks a month. I would rather spend the $100 a month on something useful instead of a stupid smart phone.

I kept my same number. They use the same towers as your over priced smart phone. Why would you think the coverage would be less??

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
I have used Trac Phone before,but have switched to Net10,which is owned by Trac Phone.$25 @ 750 minutes a month,or $50 for unlimited. Neither phone worked in the farm areas near Kent City for me.

For the most part I'm happy with the Net10 phone,but Customer Service is a nightmare and you'll probably need it at some point.

The TracPhones and Net 10 phones are usually refurbished outdated models from other companies, but if you don't need the latest IPhone or Razor it's a good system for saving money.

·
Registered
560 Posts
With my travel, I spend a buttload on phone charges. Mrs Inor and I both have Android phones, plus a wireless internet connection and the base charge is close to $300 per month. But it is still cheaper than calling home every day on a land line. We should drop the land line since the only people that call us are the RNC and the Red Cross looking for money and blood, both of which I am short of today.
I have a T-mobile prepaid android. Unlimited everything for $50 per month....

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I'm a bit of a technology slut, so my biggest problem with going to trac phone would be jumping back two years on my phone model. That may not be the case for all providers, but I have never seen an up to date (and I don't mean up to the minute, I just mean relatively current) phone on Trac. I use my phone for it's other capabilities far more than I actually make phone calls on it.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
We tried the tracphone as a first phone for my daughter and it didn't work out because in the long run it costs way more than a contract phone. We also got creepy people and Mexican's calling all the time because they must recycle phone numbers so lots of wrong numbers that eat up minutes, and tracphone sends advertisements that eat up minutes. So your constantly using minutes even though you're not even making calls.

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Been using trac phone for years. It has never let me down even when traveling, truck driver. Cost me only about 10 bucks a month. I would rather spend the $100 a month on something useful instead of a stupid smart phone.

I kept my same number. They use the same towers as your over priced smart phone. Why would you think the coverage would be less??
Because during busy times the coverage is limited by the reseller to the renters.

·
Registered
560 Posts
We tried the tracphone as a first phone for my daughter and it didn't work out because in the long run it costs way more than a contract phone. We also got creepy people and Mexican's calling all the time because they must recycle phone numbers so lots of wrong numbers that eat up minutes, and tracphone sends advertisements that eat up minutes. So your constantly using minutes even though you're not even making calls.
My android for $50 per month unlimited everything is the best thing I have found...

Reactions: Meangreen

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
How does that work with Data and Text and GPS?
I gotta have a smart phone.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I have a T-mobile prepaid android. Unlimited everything for $50 per month....
We dumped the tracphone and did what we should have done in the first place and just added her to the existing contract. I liked the idea of the tracphone because she is prone to losing things so it wouldn't have been a big deal with a tracphone.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
In Florida I used MetroPCS and it was probably the best phone service I had. There were no contracts and it was $50 a month for unlimited talk,text and web.. Now I have a Verizon prepaid but there is no service where we are so only use it when traveling. If someone wants to get a hold of us, they have to call the home phone and leave message if we aren't there.. Still in stone ages..lol

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
We have had motorola w376 tracfones for about 6 years now,the same ones! double minutes for life never a problem.the only place mine would not work was Detriot Mi. dont know why.we also go to the web and get bonus codes some work some dont,some will give you 10 mins,one I hit gave me 40 bonus minutes when I bought 30!so, that was a total of 100 with the double minutes feature for $19.99.they are dumb phones but thats all we need for ourselves.they text well and I send pics thru to my e-mail but web cruising is very slow and chews up the time very fast.

·
Registered
921 Posts
By paying cash for a "burner" phone and minutes, you get a little more privacy.
Worst case, you just dump that phone and buy another one.
Just curious how long we will be able to buy these without showing ID.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts