Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum just registered 10 minutes ago. How many here have made contacts with others in their area about mutual support, and how many here are planning on being able to take care of themselves , and theirs families
alone?

·
Super Moderator
9,216 Posts
I have one neighbor, family of four, that feel prepping is necessary. They are not very far along, husband lost job recently. I will definitely share with them. I firmly believe in numbers, there is safety. One thing, I should mention to all. find out where any local grocery warehouses are in your area. might come in handy.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
First welcome to the forum, glad to have you here with us.

I know of several that have but this isnt something thats generally done or easy to do, due to the OPSEC issue. Few are willing to really go out there and put themselves out on front street. I mean I doubt there are many here that even for money would be willing to go on Nat Geo's Doomsday preppers! While many arent above that concept, most here will more than likely gravitate to close friends and family inorder to form a mutual aid group. This would likely be your best bet for forming a MAG too. Gaining that much trust from someone here that doesnt other wise know you would be very difficult under even the best of circumstances although not impossible.

At anyrate, good luck and hope to see you around and see you often!

·
Registered
855 Posts
I have a few people that I will reach out to if things go south, although I've only discussed it with one other person who's a close friend. Everyone that I've considered have been close friends for many years. I've known all of them 10yrs or more.

-Infidel

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I have not found anyone on this forum to meet up with in anyway as of yet. No offense to anyone, but I've only seen a few posts from people indicating they are in my neighborhood. My username reflects my location and I've mentioned the general territory where I'll bug out too a few times with no concern. Honestly I feel if someone is prepared enough to reach my bug out territory they might be someone who can live there, help out and be part of a community after the fact.

There are other forums I participate on, more regionally or locally focused and on that forum I have met a fairly substantial central CA prepper group. Good people.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I've thought about an alliance network simply because I live in a metroplitan area and one can find one's self a long way from home during the normal course of living, and a temporary safe haven isn't necessarily a bad thing. There are certainly enough of us on this board regionally to support such an effort, but it violates every shred of OPSEC I've ever been taught.

Now, if others in the area ever wanted to schedule a meet up in a nuetral public location I might consider that a worth while effort.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I belong to a group that we refer to as a mutual aid group. We meet once a month, go to the range together to shoot, discuss preparations, plan for emergencies, and have a BBQ once in awhile so the wives have a chance to socialize - the group is really made up of males/heads of households. Groups are good for the mutual aid aspect, and sharing of resources if it ever becomes necessary. We require self-sufficient preps plus extras, to cover contingencies, and family and trusted friends. Each member family provides for their own family members.

I was just asked to admit three new members. They asked me out for pizza and beers, and asked if I would consider letting them join. One is an ex-Marine, Vietnam era (older guy) - we went shooting together after crossing paths out hiking one day, which is how this all got started; one is a car salesman (late 40s); and one is a computer geek who does not even own a firearm (mid 30s). Our group is considering their request; we each have an equal vote. Groups are good, but too many people can be cumbersome, and can add in extra mouths to feed....

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
A group is usually assembled with people who have a skill set that can benefit the group.
You need medical, mechanical, wood worker, electrical/electronics technician, gardeners/farmers, livestock folks, machinist, and others that add to the diversity of the group. You might even need a minister but the key is you have to all be capable of some drastic thought processes without going psychotic. Mental and emotional stable individualists that can work together. You need some kind of leadership - a governing body and rules to follow that will either stand up to the stress of survival or that can be modified on the fly without losing the overall morality of the group. It should be based on a "family" concept. A copy of the constitution may be more helpful than a book of military stratagies but both will be necessary.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey folks, thanks for your input. I guess it really depends on what your are prepping for. Natural disaster, short term, or a complete collapse. There are 300 million people in the US and lets say 1 percent 3 million are somewhat prepared, That still makes the odds 100 to 1 those just are not realistically very favorable if your compound, bug out area, or what ever the preferred name for a retreat is, once it is discovered. If you live in a small community would'nt it make sense to maybe approach your church group, even your city commissioners about some type of local plan. I am writing this post from Logar province Afghanistan. I have an example for you folks to consider. There is a town, village whatever, here called Kolongar. Kolongar is pretty much surrounded by hostile forces. The village residents patrol there own streets, because there is just not enough ISAF forces to go around. It is not perfect, however it is my opinion that we could learn a few things from local Afghani's about self sufficient living and security. They have been living and surviving with a weak or non existent central government for probably longer than anyone on this planet.............Just food for thought.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.