Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I feel for you my friend, . . . and really don't want to say, . . . "Better thee than me", . . . but, . . . uhh, . . . well

BUT, . . . look on the good side, . . . once this is done, you may not be called again for another, . . . what?, . . . 6 months?, . . . year?

Seriously though, thank you, . . . we joke and kid a lot about it, . . . but jury duty is probably the next most important sacrifice a person can make behind military service. Without it, we would be stuck with the Joe Bidens and Barry Obummers sitting on judges benches uttering decisions, . . . thank God for the ballot box, cartridge box, and the jury box.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Yes, and it the right thing to do. I was one that hate Jury duty until a friend set me straight. Jury duty is the worst thing in the world I believed about 15 years ago. But here is the deal. It all the good people do not serve and then you are left with the ones who have nothing better to do. So if you need and jury do you want the 12 ones that have nothing better to do. Not me!

·
Registered
292 Posts
The jury system has become bogus in that the jury does not fairly reflect the populace. Why? Because the prosecution and defense question and dismiss the bulk of the candidates
until they land up with with a jury that favors a pre-arranged agreement(in most cases). It's almost always rigged with the purpose being to encourage pre-trial agreements
and pleas to lesser offenses
However, think of the alternative...trial by Judge. I wouldn't want to place my fate in the hands of a single individual.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
i would love to go to Jury duty, but I got into some trouble a few years ago, and when i got a notice about jury duty, I called them and asked them if my "trouble" would prohibit me, and yes, they said in that particular case, I was not allowed to serve, and havent recieved a notice since.
And, yes, like the guys said, It is very important, and yes, they have an expected outcome, of course their is always human nature, but they figure all that into the equation.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just had jury duty myself about 2 weeks ago. It was my first time and I was dreading it, I guess from what others had told me about it. Luckily for me it was a civil case (not sure why they would need a jury for that) and the parties were able to come to a last minute agreement. So my jury duty consisted of standing around the courthouse lobby for about 3 hours then being dismissed. It was really boring but I got a little pocket change for my time so I cant really complain. I will have to wait another 2 years before possibly getting the full experience of jury duty though.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
No sir, My view of the legal system is a very slanted view, when my friend and lawyer said " for 5 grand I can let you walk", and me and my poor mom were like "well since were friends, why cant I walk for 500?" ha dto fire my friend lawyer, and hire another, and yes, i think my lawyer, the prosecuter, and judge, sat down decided how much i could afford to pay, and when I went to court, it was all just paperwork. Now probation, thats a whole messed up system, Living in NM, found guilty in Arkansas, told me I couldnt tranfer my probation, to move back to Ark. and serve my probation. Explained that that was almost impossible, and my P.o. answer, like many of her answers, was "well there is alway one alternative, go to jail". Then 5 minutes later says, well how are you paying the 25 dollar transfer fee? and im like, any way you want.....

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
I have been called for jury duty a couple of times since retiring from the military. I didnt want to do it but realize how important it is and I would want someone who cared about the case and not someone who had nothing better to do on my jury if I was on trial. Fortunately I havent lost out on work due to having to serve since I was promptly dismissed almost immeadiately. Apparently being white is a problem and Im not a bleeding heart sympathetic type and after 21 years in the military have a finely tuned Bullshit Detector! Those are the last three things most defense attorneys want in a jury pannel.

·
Registered
24,529 Posts
Well it sucks. I'm sitting here bored to death, nothing to do. Anxiety is bad. Anyone here have jury duty before?
Yes, I have. Jury duty is America's way of proving to me I have to share my corner of paradise with idiots. I am now convinced I would rather not be tried by a jury of my "peers."

·
Registered
921 Posts
I've been called several times, chosen a few times, but only got to vote once.
I just keep thinking jury nullification in my mind, although I would never say so out loud at the time.

Check out the Fully Informed Jury Association.

fija.org

·
Registered
219 Posts
I got a sure fire way to get out every time....When I get the summons you have to fill it out and send it back in....I just write... I'M DEAF and that's true even though I have a cochlear Implant I still cant hear in big rooms because of the echo and have to be within 6 to 8 feet of anyone talking....I'd welcome a 800$ a day sign language interpreter....But sorry! I don't sign!

I usually get an excused letter fairly fast....

I've wondered sometimes if I should go anyway...Just shut the hell up and show up. Nobody asks if your deaf do they? ROFL!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I get out pretty quickly too. During the interview I point at the defense attorney and say, "I know him! He was great at getting me acquitted during my trial!"

Just kidding. I have only been called once in 20+ years, and I actually did know one of the attorneys, who was a relative of one of my friends.

·
Registered
921 Posts
You're there for a burglary trial. " Sir,how do you feel about burglars?" "Well in some countries they chop the hands off--not a bad idea."
It's not a bad idea, actually. And they could do something similar to rapists.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.