Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found probably the best BOL so far in my area. It is in the county about 5 miles from my house. It is gated off and then there is a half mile road to get to it. It has almost everything, a recently pumped latrine, well full of water, a hunters cabin with wood burning stove, mess hall, 30 acres of forest with a ton of game, farm fields and a major river nearby. The place is totally hidden by trees and it's not well know. My troop camps there occasionally and I know the land very well. But then there is a decommissioned land fill right next to it. There has been tests done in the well (which is 100 ft away from the retention pond that's green) and they say its safe to drink. However, some people in the area have been getting cancer and they believe that is what it is from. So the big question, do I go for it? The river is far enough away to get water from there everyday, but do you think that the land fill may effect the field right next to it? It's great other than that dumb landfill, but on the bright side, I'll have a large supply of methane gas:wink:

Please share your opinions.

·
Super Moderator
9,191 Posts
The methane is a BIG plus. What about the river, is it suitable to filter and drink its water? Sounds like a great place.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes we filtered the water and drank it before. The EPA put a ton of pvc pipes on the land fill to direct and monitor the methane out. Any one know how to collect methane?

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
pull a couple water samples your self and send them in, that is the only way you will know what is their. Spectrum Analasys, is not far from you. We send soil samples to them.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
The water is the big concern, IMO don't plan on open source water like rivers, way too much chance it will be contaminated SHTF.

Consider putting in a deep well of 300 feet which should solve problems with the landfill, most times people find water at 40 feet and cap it off but that will give you a lot more seepage from the landfill

Reactions: punch

·
Registered
86 Posts
Ask the landfill to give you a copy of the groundwater reports. If that fails, ask the state department of environmental quality for a copy. It should be public record kind of stuff.

Groundwater flows downhill (downgradient) generally, except in the case of artesian wells, which are under pressure.

If you are upgradient of the landfill, you should be okay.

That goes for you folks with drinking water wells downgradient or at lower elevations than your septic leach field!!!!

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
With 30 acres you should have no trouble collecting enough rain water. That still needs treatment but you wouldn't have to worry about the ground water that way.

·
Banned
1,895 Posts
With 30 acres you should have no trouble collecting enough rain water. That still needs treatment but you wouldn't have to worry about the ground water that way.
Are the game getting cancer?

None the less it sounds nice.

Methane is a gas, to harvest it you need to capture it. This is often done by putting a structure overtop of it and piping it out just like natural gas, propane etc..

You can also just try to suck it up. Decaying organic material yields methane.

The pipes you are talking about are used to capture the methane.

There are a variety of potential configurations. More or less as the organic matter decomposes, it looks for a way out, the methane heads into the pipe which in turn is either capped off to another point or vented to prevent explosion in the landfill. Often it will be hooked up to a burner to create heat to generate electricity, it can be used for other applications also. If the pipes vent into the air the pipes are there to vent the gas to prevent methane gas accumulation which can result in issues.

Here is primer from the gov. of Ontario
http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/stdprodcon...resources/documents/resource/std01_079344.pdf

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Its a good question -will the game get sick, or livestock for that matter - and will plants grow without problems or will they grow with problems for your food supply. That one I don't know how you research. You can always hike a ways away and take game, but if you are buying 30 acres you no doubt want to grow on it. No answer from me on that one.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its a good question -will the game get sick, or livestock for that matter - and will plants grow without problems or will they grow with problems for your food supply. That one I don't know how you research. You can always hike a ways away and take game, but if you are buying 30 acres you no doubt want to grow on it. No answer from me on that one.
The field that is parallel to the land fill always has good crops growing, there are also tall strong trees growing on the land fill. I was also wondering how/if the cancer affects the animals and if i should be worried about that. Here is a little bit more info on the land fill that also worries me:

"The city owned and operated the landfill from 1956 through the early 1970s. Trenches were dug to an approximate depth of 20 feet and waste was compacted and covered with fill dirt on a daily basis. The landfill accepted waste from residential and industrial sources. Once a trench was full, it was capped with clay, dirt and planted with vegetation. Illegal dumping of industrial wastes had been reported after the landfill closed."

The small ditches next to the road has distorted looking water like when oil gets into it, and the meshing material and land above it is all eroding away. And who all knows what unknown toxic materials at the time where thrown in there.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Given the choice between cancer and dying because somebody broke into your home and shot you, I'd go with cancer.

But in reality, cancer usually occurs because of repeated and sustained exposures. To prepare for a situation lasting a few weeks, it sounds like this would be a great BOL. If you are planning on living the rest of your life at your BOL, cancer may only remove a few years from your lifespan. In SHTF, you're probably more likely to die from physical trauma or infection than cancer.

That's just my two cents...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Given the choice between cancer and dying because somebody broke into your home and shot you, I'd go with cancer.

But in reality, cancer usually occurs because of repeated and sustained exposures. To prepare for a situation lasting a few weeks, it sounds like this would be a great BOL. If you are planning on living the rest of your life at your BOL, cancer may only remove a few years from your lifespan. In SHTF, you're probably more likely to die from physical trauma or infection than cancer.

That's just my two cents...
I guess I wont be living to 80 if anything major happens;)

·
Super Moderator
9,191 Posts
Hell, at my age, I got a real good chance of living to 80. Well maybe 65, if I'm lucky, real lucky.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.