Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quite often we see on TV guys holding their handguns horizontal rather than the typical vertical position & wondered why. I tried it and couldn't hit the back side of a fat chic. The only thing I can figure is that it was done on purpose so the idiots that think it looks cool and try to employ that method in a shootout will lose. If I was being shot at I sure would want the other guy to hold his gun like that. Opinions?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I thought it was just on TV but there are actual videos of gang shoot outs with them holding their guns that way. Probably one of the reasons you hear of their guns jamming.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Ever wonder why gangbangers hit everything but the guy they are shooting at.
No reason in this world to ever hold one like that unless your in a movie.
Many smaller Auto's will not even chamber correctly with out a firm grip when fired.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They think they have to hold it that way because that is the way it comes in the box.

J, were you holding your crotch when you shot that way? If not, try it. I think it is supposed to help.
I just spit coffee all over my keyboard! Thanks for he best response ever!

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
That is so the case is ejected upward. Shootouts are usually near basketball courts and it's a great status booster to make 3 pointers
Another cool movie shot. Shooter catches the cases mid air on the run after shooting.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Quite often we see on TV guys holding their handguns horizontal rather than the typical vertical position & wondered why. I tried it and couldn't hit the back side of a fat chic.
Neither can Gangbangers unless they are quiet literally at point blank ranges. But it sure looked cool! The last time I saw a gangbanger use that on a security guard he ended up with 4 rounds of 40 S&W center mass! I was gonna pull a Dr Phil and ask him how that was working for him but I think by the time I got out of the patrol unit and walked over to him he had already expired...

·
Registered
57 Posts
The horizontal technique was copied from LE.

A shield/point man brings his handgun over the top of or on the side of the ballistic shield holding it horizontally in order to return fire. Also the natural grip is actually stronger and takes less individual muscles when the handgun is canted in slightly not held sideways but slightly canted.

With all that said it looks cool to the homies.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I would be willing to bet that very few gang members have ever been to a range and the first time they ever shot a gun was using it in a robbery or shooting other gang members.
If SHTF they would have a hard time if they brought their gangs to gun friendly states like Ky. This 13 year old could probably take out half a gang herself.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
In the summer of 1997 I pulled up in a Kroger parking lot at FM 1960 and I-45 in Houston Texas at about 11:00 PM; only to find my self pinned in a cross fire between gangs on opposite sides of the parking lot (we are talking like 50 to 75 yards. They were all decked out in Dallas Cowboys PARKAS (really? In Houston? In the SUMMER?) and shooting back and forth with each other. Guns sideways, hands on crotches waiving their guns side to side like they were shooting to the beat at each other.

I let the clutch go and mashed the skinny pedal. The truck shot out of that parking-lot like a convict stepping on a wet bar of soap. We ran two stop lights (full red) and my wife turns to me and says "You are going to get pulled over by the police if you keep driving like this!" Yes dear - that's kinda the point.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've seen that kid before. She's pretty awesome. For the record, I've taught several firearms safety classes and kids are by far easier to teach than adults. They listen because they don't believe they know it all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts