Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm so excited! This spring, we agreed to let a beekeeper put bees here. I thought the deal was that we'd get one gallon of honey. He showed up the other day with a five gallon bucket full of rich, dark, beautiful honey. I got it all transferred into jars today - 19 quart jars! That's about $300 worth of honey, plus we got pollination help and he plans to come back next year. I love a happy ending. :)

Now, what to do with all that honey?

·
Super Moderator
9,646 Posts
I'm so excited! This spring, we agreed to let a beekeeper put bees here. I thought the deal was that we'd get one gallon of honey. He showed up the other day with a five gallon bucket full of rich, dark, beautiful honey. I got it all transferred into jars today - 19 quart jars! That's about $300 worth of honey, plus we got pollination help and he plans to come back next year. I love a happy ending. :)

Now, what to do with all that honey?
Can I send you my address??????

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I would keep every bit.. We have gallons and gallons of it put back. All in quart and pint jars. We plan on keeping it for use as a sugar substitute in case somethin happens. Plus we use a ton of it on a regular basis.. Seems like we go thru a quart every few weeks..

Glad to hear it worked out for ya!!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I gave away a quart so far. Well, sort of traded it for a skunk trap. Had a skunk attack a broody hen last week. She died a couple of days ago. It's WAR!

Other than that quart, I plan to hoard it all. Does that make me greedy? :p <hand slap> No, kids, you can't have any honey! You had some last week, and that's all you get for another month!

I was thinking of taking some back out and putting it into one of these ridiculous 1/4 pint jars I found in my pantry so I could have some for wound care. Problem is, then I'd have three kids licking their owies all day! o_O

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I'm sitting here at the old 'puter, . . . drinking my obligatory 1st cup of the morning, . . . with a 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon and 2 tablespoons of honey.

Kinda like drinking my coffee and cinnamon roll together. It's a great "morning starter" routine.

Got a gallon of honey from a local producer several weeks back, . . . caught it just on the verge of too late, . . . had a bit of goldenrod honey in it. That makes it go to sugar in a heart beat, . . . but also adds a little tang to the flavor. Personally, I really like it, . . . wife doesn't, . . . saves that much more for me.

Congratulations on your "find", . . . wish your beekeeper lived closer to me. I have one bee hive, . . . but for some reason or another, . . . only occasionally get any honey from them.

May God bless,
Dwight

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.