Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Inor and I, in our little area of suburbia, have discovered that a sunni mosque will be built a few miles from us. I am curious if anyone else has a mosque near them. I am not sure what to expect once this building is completed. The website for this place does not really give much information other than times for instruction, and donations appeals. It seems that during Ramadan, you can get extra gold stars for donating money for the building. The land has been purchased and they are only ninety thousand or so away from what they need to build. It will be located not even one block from a day care. Thoughts on this?

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. If they get enough support to build it, it means there are Muslims in the area anyway.

If you're concerned, you could always lurk outside and take pictures of everyone entering. Then you would at least know who's who in the area.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
My personal opinion, no, build your mosque in the middle east as I don't trust that "culture" to do the right thing for America, but that is just me. I don't know how close the nearest one is from me but I may have to find out, just so i know.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Just to clarify, I dislike all Muslims because of their religion, but Mrs Inor does not. These folks seem VERY secretive. This is their website: Islamic Society of Woodbury - East Metro

I have searched all over their web site trying to figure out what they believe and what they do not. I am more in the dark now than before I started. Given the problems that Minneapolis has had recently with Somalis holding terrorist training camps right in MN, neither one of us is terribly comfortable with these idiots.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Just to clarify, I dislike all Muslims because of their religion, but Mrs Inor does not. These folks seem VERY secretive. This is their website: Islamic Society of Woodbury - East Metro

I have searched all over their web site trying to figure out what they believe and what they do not. I am more in the dark now than before I started. Given the problems that Minneapolis has had recently with Somalis holding terrorist training camps right in MN, neither one of us is terribly comfortable with these idiots.
Hmm, I couldn't find out how to put a 'strike through' edit. SO I'll just comment :-D

They weren't terrorist training camps, they were weekend recreational activities for the underpriviledged. Maybe we should fork over (more) tax dollars to facilitate what they are doing.

They aren't idiots, YOU just don't understand their culture and need to be re-educated.

YOU are a terrorist for not inviting them into your home and submitting to their every demand and wish - up to and including joining their religion or becoming their slave since you are not a muslim.

K, thx. bye.

::redsnipe::

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
Turns out I have an "Islamic Center" just a few minutes from my house. Unassuming place (Google Maps street view) and oddly enough, shares its back wall with one of them "Infidel Christian Places". I even tried to get their information through the county assessors office website and weird, but according to the county, the address doesn't exist (even though the trash cans out front are marked with the address) and has no info return. Yet the Infidel Christian Place has several contact addresses, tax info, date of purchase, even the square footage. Weird. :shock:

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I know of one in my area, but it's not exactly close. I randomly happened to be driving by it at prayer time one day and other than the parade of folks going in, the biggest surprise was the very large police presence.

There's an understated sign out by the curb, but other than that it is a very non assuming building that blends in well. Hiding in plain sight, so to speak.

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
I just Googled it and found a mosque in my area. Their website says, "We condemn all kinds of extremism whether practiced by people or governments around the globe! There is a greater need now than ever before to have a dialogue between different faiths. We need to unite against hatred whether it is based on race, religion or any other narrow idea. We believe in peace, and love for fellow human beings."

They don't sound all that threatening to me.

Projecting the actions of a few onto the whole group seems to me to be not that much different from the crap the gun control zealots use to create fear. Neither tactic is working... I don't live my life in fear. <shrug>

Reactions: PaulS

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
There is a Mosque in Reno and a few convenience store gas stations along Highway 50 are run by Mideastern individuals I haven't discussed religion with them. One practiced some sleazy business practices and I no longer deal with him the others seem fairly ethical.

·
Registered
966 Posts
There is a mosque in my little town. I wouldn't know what it was if I didn't know the contractor who built it. We have a little college here with foreign students from the Middle East and Malasia.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I should have answered the question. I only know of one about twenty miles away.

I do not know of any high concentration in the greater area but that does not mean there is none.

Less than 15 years ago I lived about 3 miles from where the mosque is now. It is an established area and I would not worry about it if I still lived there today. But that cannot be said for all such mosque locations.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Their website says, "We condemn all kinds of extremism whether practiced by people or governments around the globe! There is a greater need now than ever before to have a dialogue between different faiths. We need to unite against hatred whether it is based on race, religion or any other narrow idea. We believe in peace, and love for fellow human beings."
I wish more of them would publicly acknowledge that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
In all likelihood they probably just want to be left alone. May explain why information on their activities/goals/mission statements are so hard to come by.

·
Administrator
15,444 Posts
Our county is split north/south by I-95. East of the interstate is where most of the population lives, it's a whole different world over there.
Our half of the county is rural, farms and timberland, and very Bible-Belt. If you are not Southern Baptist or Pentacostal there's not much here for ya.
There is one Catholic church, and one Latter Day Saints (aka Mormon), but no mosques for sure.:cool:
Growing up in South Florida my wife and I always said we wanted to live in a place that had more churches than night clubs and bars. We found it!! Plenty of churches, and only two bars in an area of roughly 500 square miles.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Call me crazy but I've got a sneaking admiration for the zero-tolerance way Islamic countries execute their criminals, junkies, drunks and perverts under Sharia Law, and even the previous Archbishop of Canterbury hinted it might not be a bad thing in England-

"The Archbishop of Canterbury says the adoption of certain aspects of Sharia law in the UK "seems unavoidable".
Dr Williams argues that adopting parts of Islamic Sharia law would help maintain social cohesion"
BBC NEWS | UK | Sharia law in UK is 'unavoidable'

Heck, warning posters like this one have already started going up in some Muslim areas of Brit cities-

And there are 'Muslim Vigilante Patrols' going around the areas hassling anybody they don't like the look of-

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.