Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several times over the last few months I have went in Academy to pick up some fishing gear and as always I stroll by the gun counter out of habit. I have noticed every time what seems like a dang good deal on a Bolt Action rifle.

Everytime I have went in there, there has been at least 1 Weatherby Vangard II for 319.00. Not sure if its been a promotional or if they just got a good deal on them and are passing it on to their customers. But it seems like a dang good deal on a rifle thats chambered in 223 all the way up to 300 Win mag and 5 different Weatherby calibers to boot too! These guns are in synthetic stocks, #2 contour barrels, and guarenteed to shoot .99 inch groups or smaller with Weatherby ammo or premium ammo IIRC. Being a reloader the other thing I really like about the Vangard action and the MK V as well is the bolt has been drilled with 3 holes in it to vent gases away from the shooters face and out the side of the bolt in the event of a case head seperation should one occur. The last three times I have walked in, they have had one in .257 Weatherby, another time a 25-06 and most recently a 7mm Rem Mag.

I gotta be honest with you...I was frothing and foaming at the mouth over the possibility of a 6.5 Weatherby Wild Cat cartridge. The thought of taking that 25-06 and making it a 6.5-06 was pretty tempting too. Not that there is a dang thing wrong with the 25-06 at all. While ammo for the 264 Winchester is hard to come by these days it is still commercially available and an exceptionally flat shooting round for those out west and in the south west. Yeah I kind of have a 6.5 fetish these days thats crying to be satisfied...yeah I know I should probably seek some professional counseling for that. Now that I know its also available in a 223, I am seriously thinking about one of those and having it rebarreled for the 300 Whisper which I already load and have a AR upper for.

Is there a better deal on a center fire rifle out there right now for yoeman duty or a gun destine to be a semi custom project gun on the cheap?

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Your discount stores often offer plain Jain Rem700 and Ruger m77 for a low price. They generally are the shorter barrel ones. Basic bolt actions are not overly expensive. If you start adding fancy wood and other options they can climb quickly .
Most any of them make a good mid range shooter. It you want a real long distance shooter you will need to step up to a heavier barrel, then the prices jump.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Dont know anything more than what i have read online, but looks good to me

·
Registered
938 Posts
I have been looking at the Mossberg MVP rifle in .223 They have a shorter barrel version out now.....get the barrel threaded for a suppressor and with sub-sonic ammo it would be very quiet....good addition to an AR....same ammo, same magazines and suppressor....I think I just sold myself....
I have seen those -- I like the fact you can use 5, 10, 20 or 30 (or even 42, 60, 90 or 100) round mags in it, but that seems like overkill in a bolt gun.

I buy Remington 700s exclusively for bolt actions, tried and true, very accurate. I stick with .308 and .223, but I would like a 30.06 and a 300 Win Mag for the next two.

If the Democrats have their way, we will all be shooting single-shot rimfire bolt actions.

Just kidding.

Maybe.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
The 25 year old Ruger m77 .223 I have is a every shot 400 yard varmint rifle . Out side of that It takes a bit of work to target but a very good weapon .
Not sure if it is true anymore but not to long ago most custom shooters were built on Remington actions.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Okay, I hear ya. The cheapest Remington 700 I have seen new is about 500.00 fun dollars. Just about every thing Ruger makes these days is 700 plus dollars depending on the model unless you want a 10/22. I love the Mossberg MVP! Very nice rifle and thats a great option to be able to use AR-15 mags. I have also seen it retailing for close to 700 bucks a wack in a best case scenario. Its a danged sweet looking rifle though to be sure!

Yes I do have 5 Remington 700's right now in .308, 30-06, 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag and 338 Win Mag. Both the 7mm and the 300 are heavily modified. Yes I will agree that most folks that build a semi custom gun will opt for a 700 action as those are the ones with the most after market parts available...kind of the 10/22 of the center fire world.

But the Vangard has always seemed like a good action from the dozens I have handled and the groups they have shot with cold barrels from the factory thats included with every gun (test target). The Vangard is one of the few rifles that has stayed about the same price or come down in price a little while Winchester, Savage, Remington and Ruger's prices has continued to steadily increase. The models these companys have that have been made bugetly prices like the Remington 710 have for the most part been a step up from Chinese made junk from what I have seen. I was just wondering if there was anything else out there in the rock bottom 300 dollar price range that would rate better than a Vangard.

·
Registered
855 Posts
There was just an article in The American Rifleman about the new Vangards. They seemed to like the rifle and are made in the USA. Personally I'd look into the Savage line or if looking to do it on a budget the Ruger American has been getting excellent reviews for everyone I've heard of that has fired one.

-Infidel

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I have been looking at a Ruger American Rifle in .308. Cabela's has them for $349. I don't know if they are in stock but this is advertised on the website. It only has a 4 round mag but I do like the price.

Cabela's: Ruger® American Rifle™
Really? Now thats starting to get me a little excited...wonder if they have one in 7.62x39? I doubt it. I might go swing by for a look see just to see whats out there. I am perfectly cool with just 4 rounds myself and yeah I too like that price as well.

So the Vangard and the American seem to be pretty solid rifles at a budget price, huh? Its sure hard to beat Rugers Customer Service. I wonder how Weatherby fairs in that department?

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There was just an article in The American Rifleman about the new Vangards. They seemed to like the rifle and are made in the USA. Personally I'd look into the Savage line or if looking to do it on a budget the Ruger American has been getting excellent reviews for everyone I've heard of that has fired one.

-Infidel
I do like the unique barrel arrangement and its ease of swapping barrels but I havent seen anything that impressed me that has a MSRP of less than the high 500's. That being the case I would just opt for another 700 with a composite stock and bull barrel for 549.00 at a local store near here.

I do indeed like the fact that Weatherby is made in America again. But thats not to say I would have snubbed one when they were made in Japan by Howa or SKB or Miruko for that matter. All three company's made great quality guns! Heck I own 2 SKB shotguns O/U's made for Weatherby and Ithaca and 3 Miruko's one of which is a knock off of the Browning Citori and actually has a tighter fit, better finishing of the metal work and a mind blowing walnut stock that has to be seen to be fully appreciated! But its always nice to buy American when I can.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I do like the unique barrel arrangement and its ease of swapping barrels but I havent seen anything that impressed me that has a MSRP of less than the high 500's. That being the case I would just opt for another 700 with a composite stock and bull barrel for 549.00 at a local store near here.

I do indeed like the fact that Weatherby is made in America again. But thats not to say I would have snubbed one when they were made in Japan by Howa or SKB or Miruko for that matter. All three company's made great quality guns! Heck I own 2 SKB shotguns O/U's made for Weatherby and Ithaca and 3 Miruko's one of which is a knock off of the Browning Citori and actually has a tighter fit, better finishing of the metal work and a mind blowing walnut stock that has to be seen to be fully appreciated! But its always nice to buy American when I can.
The ease of swapping barrels is where the Savage really excels, the accu-trigger is a bonus and they are amazing shooters for their price. They are not particularly good looking rifles and the prices have gone up on them over the years but if I were looking for a rifle that I could easily have rechambered, this would be the one. As an added benefit there's a lot of aftermarket support for the Savage rifles so should be fairly easy to change anything you're not keen on.

It's awful hard to argue with the price of the Vangard though and for that price you're not going to find much else out there that will outshoot it. I doubt you could go wrong with the Vangard. You should definitely do a review of the rifle if you decide to buy one.

As for the Jap made Weatherby rifles I wasn't knocking them, I was just commenting that it was nice to see Weatherby building them in the USA again. When I was shopping for a trap gun years ago I was very seriously considering an SKB and probably would have bought one except for the fact that I got my father's Krieghoff when he died.

-Infidel

·
Registered
354 Posts
I stick to a threaded barrel .308 remington 700 sps tactical. You can buy the rifle for around 600.00 and to me it makes a good platform rifle. I upgraded the stock to a b&c m40 and set the screws at 50 lb. torgue to make the barrel float. A bipod, floorplate magazine extention, 300.00 scope, cheekpiece and a decent muzzle brake and you have a good rifle in my book for around 1100.00- 1200.00 including mounts

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I stick to a threaded barrel .308 remington 700 sps tactical. You can buy the rifle for around 600.00 and to me it makes a good platform rifle. I upgraded the stock to a b&c m40 and set the screws at 50 lb. torgue to make the barrel float. A bipod, floorplate magazine extention, 300.00 scope, cheekpiece and a decent muzzle brake and you have a good rifle in my book for around 1100.00- 1200.00 including mounts
I got three different 700's that fit that description, 308, 7mm Rem Mag and 300 Win Mag. All are tack drivers capable of shooting well past the 600 yards I usually keep them at or under. I was looking at something a little cheaper but still accurate and of good quality. Something that could be used to arm and additional person or two without breaking the bank or investing a couple of mortage payments into. Something that wouldnt require me to stock yet one more caliber than I already do. Something that would be a step up from a Mosin Nagant 30/91 from the get go, which I did consider but by the time you restock it, play with the trigger and put a scope on it you have done exceeded 300 fun dollars in most cases.

I also wanted to kind of point out the fact to our newly joining members who may not be "Big Daddy War Bucks" and are looking to arm themselves but have a limited budget to work with, who may be looking for a gun to primarily hunt with but one that could be pressed into service as a anti personnel fire arm at extended distances if needed with reasonable success at putting rounds on target. So far it looks like the Vangard and the Ruger American are capable of doing all of that and doing it at a reasonable price a struggling college student or working Joe with a family could afford on a tight budget. I am wondering too if the Mossberg AT-200 might also fit the bill for this sorta tasking too.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Yeah I have herd and read a lot about the TC Venture. Havent seen one in the flesh though. They sound pretty solid. Thats starting to get a little on the pricey side though for the average working stiff or college student trying to get outfitted on a tight budget. Might still be an option though...

Im still thinking that Vangard and the Ruger American is the hot ticket for a good budget bolt action.

·
Super Moderator
8,613 Posts
Several times over the last few months I have went in Academy to pick up some fishing gear and as always I stroll by the gun counter out of habit. I have noticed every time what seems like a dang good deal on a Bolt Action rifle.

Everytime I have went in there, there has been at least 1 Weatherby Vangard II for 319.00.
Ok, you got my curiosity up, I'm heading to academy now to look at this. I just pulled it up at cabela's and they have it for $539.00. It's been a long time since I have hit academy.

·
Super Moderator
8,613 Posts
It seems that the Weatherby Vanguard was a closeout item and they have sold out at the location I visit. It was slim pickins too.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Ruger has put some interesting reasonably priced option on the table you may want to check out their site

1 - 20 of 31 Posts