Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Jut pointing out that it really isn't an "IF" they win. They won, short of a miracle. What we all need to do is stop supporting this "rigged election" crap and all of the negative rhetoric. It is only demoralizing and dissuading Georgia voters for voting in the most important Senate races I can remember. If we keep 1 seat, we stop the insanity. If we keep 2 seats, that helps.

Now back to the SKS topic. I love mine.
Giving up is not what I do. Quitters quit. Losers lose. People who surrender are subject to subjugation. I'm not doing that. I don't think President Trump is into it either....

And on the subject of SKSs, they are viable weapons.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I got a Russian SKS.... Decent rifle, definitely better then nothing but it is short range and that ammo is scarce for it. Unless you live someplace that used the ammo and there was opportunity to buy it as it fell of a truck, I'd come up with a new plan ;)

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Main reasons to own SKS at least in the past. Ammo was cheap and lots of it and I do mean cheap 7.62X39 flowed in from all over the world. All you wanted any time. The weapons could be had on any budget. They are pretty simple to operate.
That has all changed. 7.62x39 is as limited now as any ammo. The cost is extremely high . The weapons have gone up many times what they could be had for. Today I would not go out and buy an SKS. But I would also never sell the ones I have.
But contrary to a lieing DA. With an agenda I have never sold a weapon anyway and never will.

Reactions: stevekozak

·
Registered
500 Posts
Got a 1952 Tula Russian tough dependable and ammo is still relatively cheap. 1500 rds for about 300 USD up here. Corrosive so a good clean is requite after a range day. Millions were made an like anything good knock offs complement its design quality. Not the most accurate but it'll get the job done. Whenever somebody new to shooting asks what they should get I recommend on of these as it won't blow the budget. Although with the recent commie ban of ARs etc. up here the prices did jump a bit.

Godspeed

·
Registered
53 Posts
Would you consider using an SKS for a SHTF scenario or an apocalypse?
As recent events have shown so well it has a lot less to do with the specific firearm and a lot more to do with the ammunition you can get your hands on or reload. Being a reloader I would stay away from the Russian primed steel cases.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I know a few guys who shoot deer with an SKS and soft points. It's not as cool looking as an AK, but it's still a semi auto 7.62x39.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The venerable SKS:
I like my SKS because it uses a great intermediate cartridge, 7.62x39mm. I modified mine with a Choate Conventional stock, SKU: 18-01-02 which has the advantages of lightening the weight of the SKS by about two and a half pounds and lengthening the pull of the butt stock.
Another improvement: I had the bayonet lugs removed which takes away some of the fishhook effect on material and brush except of course the front sight which still catches on things. For you purists out there don’t worry this SKS was a new Chicom version not a milsurp or manufactured in some other country such as the former Soviet Union, Albania, Romania, etc.
I once watched a video apparently filmed in the People’s Republik of Kanada. A former Spetsnaz who had emigrated to Canada had dolled his SKS up which had only a five round non-detachable magazine. He had stripper clips which he kept in a special combat vest and he could load and fire that SKS faster than most could reload with a detachable magazine. Reloading the SKS quickly and well is a matter of lots and lots of lovely practice. When using the stripper clips or any stripper clips just remember by using the forefinger tilt the top cartridge up and it will reload much easier and more quickly.
Magazine brings up another point for me. Keeping the standard non-detachable ten round magazine here in the USA to me is a better option. It looks less threatening to the uninformed and the politically correct. Particularly since I installed the Choate Conventional stock and had the bayonet lugs removed. In other words from a distance it looks like a good ol huntin rifle and appears to create less excitement and ire from the liberal elites who consider themselves as our "lords and masters." But it is still every bit as lethal. Unless of course you wish to use the bayonet as a weapon. LOL
I recall once several years back I hit a steel silhouette target from right about 100 yards with the original iron sights with the first shot by quickly shouldering and sighting the SKS without taking time to carefully aim the weapon. Amazingly I hit the target first shot. Boy was I impressed (Shocked) by my skill and the basic accuracy of the weapon. Or to quote an old friend (Now deceased): “Kinder, every gun I’ve ever owned has always been more accurate than I ever could be.”

·
Registered
500 Posts
Ah the good old days of 2018 when you could pick up a 1952 Russian SKS for 189.00 bucks CAD at Cabelas and for another 225.00 CAD would get you 1500 rounds of that nasty corrosive surplus ammo.

Seems like a million years ago.

Godspeed

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Personally I would not buy that firearm for my own personal use. Having said that, most folks know that this rifle took on most of the Soviet Union.

For example, I have lots of knives. But in a jam, I would sharpen a section of "chrome trim" off a Cadillac and kill my attacker with that.

When I was a lad I bought many shiny and expensive items that never saved my life any more than cheap barroom chair. I would advise kids to learn what they carry, not carry what they might learn by accident...

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Is it a viable option? Yes...if you bought them several years ago when they were less than about 200 each arsenal refinished! It will definitely pick up the check to be sure. I bought several in the mid 90's when they were 69.00 a piece and ammo was 1.49 a box of 20, and thats at California prices as I was stationed there when I bought them.

At todays prices? IMHO...There are a lot of better choices out there I would rank over an SKS. Now if you have several guns in that caliber then getting an SKS at todays pricing might make some sense from a logistical stand point. I just feel like there are better options if you spend a 100-150 more than I saw SKS's going for a couple of years ago. The other negative they have going for them is often after market parts have to be hand fitted due to wide tolerances from one model to the next. I dont typically have that issue with my AR's, FAL, M1A1 or M1 Garand. YMMV...

·
Registered
81 Posts
the sks can get you in the fight for sure.

well worth keeping in your arsenal
I have one I bought from a friend when he got married because his wife didn't want him keeping guns. They got divorced... go figure. It puts rounds downrange and gives me options depending on what ammo I happen to have when that time comes.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts