Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Beats heck out of a pointed stick or a bow and arrow.

I'm not a fan of any Rusky stuff . . . but where my life or my loved ones lives would be in trouble . . . I'd grab it in a heart beat.

It certainly is not a precision machine . . . but it will put rounds down range.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
12,477 Posts
Yes. Typical Russian rifle that functions well in abysmal conditions. Not as well as an AK and lacks the power and range of a mosin Nagant. Two Chinese variants will accept ak mags without modification. The D and M models. I have 7 that fit into my SHTF plans as back up options.

Reactions: Slippy

·
Administrator
15,482 Posts
Yes, it is a solidly viable combat weapon.
Quite a few of the names on the Vietnam Memorial were put there by peasants armed with SKS’s.
Mine is a Chinese Norinco.

·
Registered
9,221 Posts
I have 6 of them as backup weapons, all are brand new, unfired ***** and Ruski military ones.

They are not the cheap commercial ones with pinned barrels, or the ones taken from the scrapyard reblued and given new wood.

I got them when first offered in the country back in the early 80's.

I don't remember the price of them, around $55-$70 each by the crate, bought several crates for the shop sales, and then more later.

They are crude by western standards, but they are extremely reliable.

The plan back then was to give them to those who did not play an important role in our defense.

Originally I kept 4 ***** ones and then 2 Russian with laminated stocks, all brand new,

They will keep you in the game if nothing else is available, the 10 round capacity built in mag can be quickly reloaded with a stripper clip.

The military ones have chromed barrels and gas cylinders with chrome or SS pistons.

I prefer the ***** or Ruski over the Yugo because the Yugo is not chrome lined,

and all the Sino-soviet ammo is corrosive, you may go for days without cleaning it.

The other models take AK mags, enough said, keep away from those that use a duck billed mag.

The carbine is inherently more accurate than an AK.

I have for customers added a scope mount to the top cover.

Other than working on the scrap yard guns for trigger pull, I have had only one in for repair, an extractor, it was missing when it came in.

With some modification, I installed a Russian one in a ***** gun.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Reloading an SKS is just as fast as changing a magazine. Stripper clips reload super fast. I have a couple of removable Tapco magazines for mine, but I usually find myself very content with the 10 round stock mag. I have a 50cal can stuffed with Russian ammo so I'm good to go.

Honestly, I'd probably take my AR-15 is SHTF just because I have more ammo and it is more readily available in the US, however, I wouldn't dis the SKS. it is a great gun.

Mine is a Norinco. With the chrome line barrel, it is near indestructible.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Fortunate to have an M1A,
Fortunate to have so called ARs, both only stateside,
Would only go to an SKS if those were no longer available or viable,

·
Administrator
15,482 Posts
I have enough rifles that I don’t know right off the top of my head how many exactly.
SKS is one.
I would not feel undergunned with one.

As we were taught “My rifle and bayonet are only tools. I am the weapon.”

Reactions: TenMileHunter

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
If it is what you got and you have ammo. You must know it's limitations . It beats the heck out of a stick or rock. Back pre Brady bill I grabbed up some SKS's Cheap and still have them. Not my go to but I will use one if i must.

Reactions: SOCOM42

·
Registered
11,015 Posts
Hope the owners of the scary military looking guns dont mind the big tax coming if Harris-Biden win. Yikes. Sorta glad I got rational and decided to keep my old Winni in thutty thutty lol.

·
Registered
9,221 Posts
Hope the owners of the scary military looking guns dont mind the big tax coming if Harris-Biden win. Yikes. Sorta glad I got rational and decided to keep my old Winni in thutty thutty lol.
I don't know how he is going to retro tax back 57 years, that is when I got my first AR.

I do not think the supreme court will allow it.

He could put a forward excise tax or luxury tax on them, then ban the interstate transportation of ammunition.

Depending what he does will determine whether there is an armed revolt or not.

Besides I only have a 1,000 rounds of 30-30 for my two.

·
Registered
19 Posts
it seems to me that finding ammunition DURING a long term SHTF situation might be more difficult than some other calibers. Perhaps, however, that is a regional issue.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
I just how is Harris going to collect that tax? Harris followers have no problem rioting ,burning killing when no one fights back. Wait and see when some do fight back . The end of that movie will have a different ending.

As for 7.62X39. (SKS AMMO) There is a lot a whole lot in private hands. If you don't already have it the days of 10 cents around are gone. All ammo is getting harder to come by at reasonable prices . A rifle with no ammo is a stick .

·
Administrator
15,482 Posts
As for 7.62X39. (SKS AMMO) There is a lot a whole lot in private hands. If you don't already have it the days of 10 cents around are gone. All ammo is getting harder to come by at reasonable prices . A rifle with no ammo is a stick .
And mine is Chinese military surplus with steel core, steel jacketed, bullets.
Punch right through both sides of a car and whoever is in it without even slowing down.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Jut pointing out that it really isn't an "IF" they win. They won, short of a miracle. What we all need to do is stop supporting this "rigged election" crap and all of the negative rhetoric. It is only demoralizing and dissuading Georgia voters for voting in the most important Senate races I can remember. If we keep 1 seat, we stop the insanity. If we keep 2 seats, that helps.

Now back to the SKS topic. I love mine.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts