Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Under most situations that could be called "SHTF", I personally believe these are truths.

1. No matter what happens Martial Law will immediately be implemented.
2. Odds are 90% there will be no or very limited electricity / city water.
3. It will NOT be safe to be outside at night anyplace populated enough where you can see other peoples buildings at all.
4. Stores will be cleaned out by hoarders and looters, with new supplies either non-existent, or nearly so.
5. Travel by road may be risky. Especially in remote areas without police or troops present.
6. Police & troops WILL be searching homes and cars, confiscating all firearms and most supplies (look up "Katrina" on Youtube!).

All this in one week. And crime is getting worse every day. When does it become an intelligent choice to leave your home / shelter and all your supplies & belongings to be thieved in minutes by on-lookers? With the expectation of living out of a backpack! Even if you had a bug out location. What are the odds of it still being intact? Remote cabin or farm house? Almost certainly looted by local teens by the third day because they knew it was empty. I grew up in the country (closest neighbor was almost a mile away) and every kid and adult knew all about every house and cabin there was within 50 miles! What do you think small town people talk about when they meet up?!? :D

For most people bugging out immediately will be prohibited by waiting to see if things are really bad enough, or if they will still need to be at work the next day.

Only way I can see leaving is if forced by fire, hurricane, tornado, or other complete destruction of the shelter I'm already in.

Soooo, other than just to keep things organized. Is a BOB nothing more than a "romantic idea"? What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
How you react depends on your circumstances .
Some of us do not live any where near a city bugging out makes no sense to us.
Few members of out group do live in a city and will be bugging out here.
The key is when do you cut and run if you must.
The BOB most of us have is tool we need to get to our place ,to get to safe points alone the way if we are farther away.
My BOB is not intended to live out of worst case 24 hours.

Reactions: shotlady

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
I was there for Katrina Army business ended up getting involved . What a joke it was..... sorry but it was sad.
Hurricanes not an issue here, Tornado's could be but the shelter will do just fine. Flooding we are good here.
Fire, woods far enough away. I am pretty sure we will be alright

Reactions: shotlady

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I can't agree with your conclusion here BigCheeseStick. There's no way to know how events will play out and while some communities may embrace martial law, I know others will not. Our military isn't big enough to lock down everywhere and our military that tries will not be received with open loving arms. They'll have to concentrate on the bigger cities first either way where the biggest populations are of course. But martial law in that aspect is unconstitutional and many still believe in the constitution. Foreign troops trying will find themselves under fire quickly. Lots of people are aware and heavily pissed off these days. Why do you think guns sales have been so hot lately. People have taken note of what happened in Katrina and many are not going to be smiling as police and any military type force goes door to door trying to take guns and enforcing their control. I know I'm not the only one who see them as traitors in doing so and will light them the hell up. And they'll deserve exactly what they get.

The aspect of famine, chaos, crime, and mayhem will certainly be true in lots of areas if it's bad enough to go to that, but not everywhere. Anyone I think would choose to stay put if they could survive there, but if they can't than bugging out is what they'll have to do. And deal with the circumstances as they lay. Most are in no way capable of surviving once the system crashes, but those are the breaks. Don't be one of them and/or let them take what you have. In reality we've got a population here way bigger than can survive off what of the countryside is open to go to. And those that think they are going to feed off of others land and supplies will find in most cases, they'll be meet with lead and brass. It's a cold reality, but it's a cold world and we're overpopulated. Got to thin the herd.

Many will bugout though if it comes to it and many will go to places they'll continue on at. Those with setup BOL's the better and those that are in groups already the better also. Those not will be forced to, because alone, someone can always be overcome easier than in numbers of strength. People will die, and people will continue on. What comes of it long term, there's no way to know. It may never happen and we'll keep doing what we're doing maybe, till we die old and beaten, a little less free everyday, a little more a slave everyday, fed more lies and things to keep us entertained and complacent while the world keeps spinning as it has. I don't think so though like many here and like them, I'll bug out if I have to.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
The first thing to do is define SHTF.

Will it be a pandemic event, . . . rapidly covering the entire North American continent?

Will it be a political event, . . . concerning only the USA?

Will it be a local but devastating event, . . . covering Columbus, Ohio and outward by 200 miles?

The answer to the original question will dictate each person's reaction / action.

The big danger is getting one's mind and plans all steeped in one single possible means, . . . and ignoring everything else. An old military axiom states something to the effect that we always need a backup plan, . . . as the original begins to fail 90 seconds into the problem.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I agree with almost everything you guys mention. And I myself keep four different bags that could be called bug out bags. Each for different situations. I guess the thing I'm wondering about is when people talk about bugging out as their knee jerk reaction to SHTF. Barring a regional problem that MUST be fled like a hurricane or fire. Seems like those planning to flee will be putting themselves at FARRR more risk than if they'd stayed their ground.

I'm also not sure apartment life is less safe than being in a house anymore. The benefit I see for people in apartments is that most are off ground level. Meaning they only have one single access point to defend (their front door). In a ground level house your defending every window and door in the place. Also being off ground level eliminates most flood damage risk. If your in an apartment building with only an elevator and single stairwell to access your floor. That's pretty much IDEAL as long as you have a balcony or roof access for a generator or to collect rain water, worst case scenario dump waste from.

Trying to think of the benefits in a private home over a higher up apartment and just not coming up with any except less risk of fire. If your up in a tenth floor apartment your nearly untouchable unless they crashing planes into every building. :shock:

Maybe the best prep is to actually be in a well stocked "deeeluxe apartment in the sky"! :D Should we all be "Movin on up?" :D

·
Registered
438 Posts
The point of prepping is preparedness is it not???

So the question then becomes is bugging out ever an option?

I say yes. I say yes in the case of certain natural disasters. I also agree with the OP that during martial law it isn't the best of ideas. This leaves 2 windows for bugging out in that type of scenario. Either you bug out before martial law hits or you wait until it collapses as well.

Yeah we need to have preps at home. But some of us are geographically limited as to how much we can prep at home.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
The Hollywood version of world war Z isn't realistic at all, but it was entertainment. One scene comes to mind and I think it rings true. Shelter in and die, stay mobile and live.

I have as good a bug out as any. I love it. I can sustain there even prosper and grow. Even better if SHTF comes to my remote bug out guess what....I can bug out from there and remain highly mobile and go even more remote. I can't stay awake 24x7, any thing is possible, but I believe I'm on top of events, things, activities and I prep for bugging out. I drill for for hitting the road in 20 minutes with everything needed and then some. I have studied my bug out routes to the extreme. I even know where it'd be safe to hold up if I must march on foot, can use a bike, or obtain a horse. If they lock down the city I'm in guess what...I know ways out. If hoards kill all that move I know when to stay still and when the hoards would dose off and allow me passage. I know I might only move for 90 or 180 minutes a day.

Since I have a great BOL it only makes sense to take every free step (research is largely free) to figure out hiw to get there under as many circumstances as possible.

After all that my wife drags me off for. 20 year anniversary to Ireland. We leave SFO thurs AM. No way SHTF happens next two weeks I forbid it!

·
Registered
116 Posts
For some people the bug out is the only option. For example, people in cities, people in apartments... or people that in general have not prepped.

As a prepper, I believe bugging in is the only viable option.
Here is a poll:
http://www.prepperforums.net/forum/general-talk/5383-you-prepping-bug-out.html
I have been exploring the option of a sailboat lately. Its the ultimate bugin/bugout option.

Guest Post: Sailing for Survival « ModernSurvivalOnline.com

True, it's a differnt lifestyle to live on a boat. But it can be done. ;-)

·
Administrator
15,448 Posts
The only thing I can see bugging out for is a category 3 or higher hurricane coming right for us. In that case we load the horses in the trailer, put the dogs in the two trucks and motivate. The horse trailer has 12 feet of living quarters in the front and we keep it stocked with non perishable provisions. The chickens would be left to hunker down and fend for themselves.
Anything other than a hurricane we stay put, right here on our dead end dirt road 6 miles outside a town of 2,000.
There are large timber company tracts all around but we have the two acres adjacent to the house cleared just in case of fires. There have been wild fires more than once in our area, right across the road from our property in fact, but all we have to do is keep the roof wet with garden hoses to keep hot embers from taking hold. If we had the cash we would go to a metal roof just for this reason.
We have food, water, and don't really need electricity except for the well pump. Got a generator for that and we would only need to run it 20-30 minutes a day to pump water and perhaps keep the refrigerator cool.
As long as the phones work we will have internet access to the outside for news, and if that fails we have CB's for short range comms and there's always the truck radio for news/weather.
We are seriously investigating a HAM radio setup, perhaps a base station and a mobile.

We didn't get this way overnight, it took years of work and planning. But I do know this - I will never live inside town/city limits ever, ever again.
Cows make the best neighbors.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I have been exploring the option of a sailboat lately. Its the ultimate bugin/bugout option.

Guest Post: Sailing for Survival « ModernSurvivalOnline.com

True, it's a differnt lifestyle to live on a boat. But it can be done. ;-)
Living next to the ocean I've given it a ton of thought... Just to easy a target for every would be pirate and military ship that might pass by or pick you up on radar. Most fishing boats even have radar now. EVERYBODY will know where and what you are (a sitting duck). :(

Any ocean going vessel with a single firearm on board is classified as a "Pirate" by the military and coast guard. = Prison time.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I think you guys are missing the point of buggin out I think bugging in only works for the short term. Bugging out lets me get outta dodge until the dust settles and I can plan my future from there otherwise you are the rock and the shit is the ocean now we sand, be the rock that moves inland.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts