Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last I looked, the Dow had dropped 867 points.
Biden came on news and said everything is fine.

I don’t know enough about the stock market to draw any conclusions. Can anyone enlighten me about the implications of this?

·
Registered
7,133 Posts
last year it dropped to 18,xxx... I said months ago it would be 25,000 in August

Market has been going up for little to no news....boosted by free government money

I was chatting with a co-worker today who was happy is 401K was up 37% for the year...until i explain that most if not all of it was from the recovery after the loss!!!! I told him to look at the 2 and or 3 year return - he was then far less happy

As mentioned I am taking a loan from my investment in order to buy stuff...that i feel will go up in price

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I don’t know enough about the stock market to draw any conclusions. Can anyone enlighten me about the implications of this?
Most of it is fear.
Too much Covid news and investors are panic selling shares to take profit.
Jerome Powell can’t keep his big yap shut either. Every time that man speaks it costs me money.

BoF

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
Last I looked, the Dow had dropped 867 points.
Biden came on news and said everything is fine.

The only thing I'm hearing is....the scare of scamdemic part deux is influencing the market.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Indeed - We need to prepare for "transitory hyper-inflation". Own things that have intrinsic value. Ammo, liquor, pharmaceuticals, tabacco. Get new rubber on your vehicles, keep gas tanks topped off. All that sort of stuff. As the government continues to print money to give away, the dollar WILL decline.

In pre-war Germany, a wheelborrow of cash wouldn't buy a loaf of bread. This is what German children did with 1930s german notes:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had to call someone I know who makes their living (and a very good one) in the stock market. He thinks it’s only due to fears of another Covid lockdown. He said he doesn’t feel there’s any danger of a crash at all right now and that, overall, we are headed in the right direction. He is more concerned with the rabid government spending right now.

·
Registered
7,133 Posts
Had to call someone I know who makes their living (and a very good one) in the stock market. He thinks it’s only due to fears of another Covid lockdown. He said he doesn’t feel there’s any danger of a crash at all right now and that, overall, we are headed in the right direction. He is more concerned with the rabid government spending right now.
ya thats who you want to trust ----the guy that makes his living getting people to buy and sell stocks

stock value for any company should be base don value of company assets and a consideration for future sales potential

ie all assets are worth 1 million and it makes 5 million a year in profit... value would be about 1M + yearly sales x 3 or 5... or all stock should be worth 4 to 6 million

now tell me what was driving the markets up

what is going to happen when government closes of money faucet

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ya thats who you want to trust ----the guy that makes his living getting people to buy and sell stocks

stock value for any company should be base don value of company assets and a consideration for future sales potential
I understand your skepticism. The person I am referring to is a day trader and doesn’t make his money investing other people’s money. Every dime he invests is his own. I trust this man IMPLICITLY. He is the most honest and down to earth man I know. I trust him to give me his honest analysis as he see’s it.
He had absolutely nothing to lose or gain by being forthright with me.

That being said, he is very concerned about inflation getting out of hand.

·
Administrator
15,252 Posts
Fox Business reported the drop was due to new covid infections driving fears that the economy would collapse again.
They also reported oil is taking a beating from the announcement by OPEC that they rare going to increase production.

Reactions: Denton

·
Registered
7,133 Posts
when inflation is going at 5% a month, the market is at 18,000, milk is $8 a gallon, gas is over$10, and bread is $12 a loaf... it will be very important and comforting to know WHY it is happening

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
Turnip just addressed this today.

We all can relax. he and his experts have assured us the inflation was expected but won't last.

Man, do I feel better now.

·
Administrator
15,252 Posts
Turnip just addressed this today.

We all can relax. he and his experts have assured us the inflation was expected but won't last.

Man, do I feel better now.
We need a big, laughing, emoji.
This one earned it.

·
Registered
376 Posts
This is the dot.com mania on steroids. It's another great transfer of wealth from the have-somes to the have-it-alls. People blew their stimulus checks on doggie doo doo meme stocks and crypto and Wall Street was waiting for them. Wall Street feasted and is still feasting. They will gorge until there is nothing left and the markets tank. Then they will scream for bailouts and more stimulus and the cycle shall repeat itself. The pace of money coming into the market is starting to slow and like any Ponzi scheme you need new money to keep it going. This may be the start of the big shake out because unlike what the media are telling you things cannot go up forever.

More interesting to watch is where the "Smart Money" goes. It's leaving the stock market and going into buying land, farms, timber...... hard assets. The commodities that everybody needs. Notice how there is very limited opportunities to buy land at a reasonable price opposed to say 5 -10 years ago in your area. That's because the hedge funds are buying all up with water and mineral rights. You think you water bill is high now just wait.

Godspeed

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
It’s not a shock. Can’t go up for ever. If it truly is a Covid response it will bounce back quickly unless you think the US Govt wants to pay everyone to take another year off in which case it’s going to go dowe more.

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
It’s not a shock. Can’t go up for ever. If it truly is a Covid response it will bounce back quickly unless you think the US Govt wants to pay everyone to take another year off in which case it’s going to go dowe more.

Read an article today that said they are thinking of extending the enhanced unemployment.

Reactions: stowlin

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
when inflation is going at 5% a month, the market is at 18,000, milk is $8 a gallon, gas is over$10, and bread is $12 a loaf... it will be very important and comforting to know WHY it is happening
Very good point. The “why” will be the least of our worries.

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
Not to split hairs but...the "why" is very important I think.

It opens eyes as to who not to support.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not to split hairs but...the "why" is very important I think.

It opens eyes as to who not to support.
Oh I’m not disagreeing with that at all. Just agreeing that once we sink into chaos and super high inflation, people will be more concerned with eating than the politics of why they are hungry.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts