Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was brought to my attention on this forum that guns & ammo are 2 of the best items to have on hand if TEOTWAWKI & the world becomes a Barter Economy. Which got me thinking, during "Peacetime" if you just buy a huge amount of Ammo will the price you can sell them for go up substantially over time? Are you legally allowed to sell Ammo? Can you buy Ammo without having a gun registered. I apologize for my ignorance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It was brought to my attention on this forum that guns & ammo are 2 of the best items to have on hand if TEOTWAWKI & the world becomes a Barter Economy. Which got me thinking, during "Peacetime" if you just buy a huge amount of Ammo will the price you can sell them for go up substantially over time? Are you legally allowed to sell Ammo? Can you buy Ammo without having a gun registered. I apologize for my ignorance.
Check legality in your state.
Legal now to sell ammo without an ffl in some states, but for how long?
Teotwawki i don’t think I’d have lots out or let anyone know just how much you have.

·
Registered
6,476 Posts
Sure you can buy and sell ammo. I sold off a bunch of 22lr while back and made a killing. Know a few guys selling 556 for double what they bought it for.

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
10,723 Posts
Supply and demand drive price.
For your investment to pay off, you'd have to hope that demand goes up, or supply goes down.
When it comes to ammo, neither one is evidence of a properly functioning society on the rise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sure you can buy and sell ammo. I sold off a bunch of 22lr while back and made a killing. Know a few guys selling 556 for double what they bought it for.
Talked to a buddy last night bemoaning fact can’t find any hunting ammo.
Said he found a guy over weekend wanting $90 for a 20 round box. He told the guy he could keep it.
Later he ran across a guy peddling some 44 mag on side of the road for a dollar a round. 😂 wasn’t sure I’d ever see that in my lifetime.

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
consider

The cost of money. If you purchased a box of .22 shells 10 years ago for $1 and sell them tomorrow for $3... you lost money. If you had left the $1 in the bank for 10 years you would have done better
regardless of the item - to make money you have to sell it at a price that covers inflation, shipping, your time....etc

·
Registered
6,476 Posts
22lr shells bought through my FFL as filler for orders. Spend 500 bucks at wholesaler, free shipping. If I was close I'd add some 22lr. Most where purchased at dealer cost of 10 to 15 bucks a brick. While back I let the words out locally 60 bucks a brick. All sold in a couple days. Should have asked 75 to 100 like at the rip off gun shows but I'm not that greedy.

Reactions: Slippy

·
Registered
65 Posts
consider

The cost of money. If you purchased a box of .22 shells 10 years ago for $1 and sell them tomorrow for $3... you lost money. If you had left the $1 in the bank for 10 years you would have done better
regardless of the item - to make money you have to sell it at a price that covers inflation, shipping, your time....etc
10 .45's for a loaf of bread. 20 .22s for a leg of lamb. 30 .308 for a side of beef. Deal?

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Guns are generally a bad investment. Having said that, I owned crates of 54R a Sako M-39 a Type 53 in mint condition and a Russian M-44. Couldn't afford not to sell the lot. I made bank on that one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Never apologize for asking questions. It's what we are here for.
It'll vary state to state. Here in Alabama, private sales of firearms and ammunition is completely legal without a bill of sale.

·
Administrator
15,633 Posts
When I got down to about 15 years before retirement, I figured that on a fixed income ammo would be hard to afford. So, I started buying a box or two every payday. If I found a good deal on surplus M2 Ball or something I would buy more.
Today, 5 years into retirement, I literally have enough out in the barn to last the rest of my life.
And if I ever felt like selling some, I could easily make my money back.

Reactions: Slippy and One Shot

·
Banned
21,333 Posts
Guns and Ammo are HORRIBLE investments. Don't buy them.

Plus guns are icky and I've read they are bad and kill something like a million babies a year, and lots of old nice sweet women probably. And sometimes guns kill young black men who are just about to go to college and cure cancer, and did I say babies? Guns kill babies from what I read.

Don't buy guns and ammo.

·
Registered
7 Posts
One thing to consider would be: How likely is it US is going to loose world reserve currency status?

If more nations keep joining Brics…..in such a case tangibles will still have value.

Another: Some have nickel content. WEF is asking people to turn in phones and laptops sitting around cause their isn’t enough of certain metals for their green future…..as metals go up so will ammo.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts