Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You can carry it across land areas, sleep under it with your gear when it rains and it requires no fuel to go. Or is there a better option that's powered for inland water that you can still run once the powers out and fuel is a memory?

Bierstadt_Albert_Fishing_from_a_Canoe.jpg

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
I would say there are few peers to the canoe as a vessel that can be used as you describe.

I would also say that if you have included this in you plan, . . . be sure to take enough time to acclimatize ALL, . . . EACH AND EVERY person involved in the fine art of canoe entering, exiting, paddling, maneuvering, etc.

It only takes one rookie movement, . . . everything is at the bottom of the lake and y'all are bobbing in the drink.

But I too like a canoe for the reasons you put forth.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I've canoed since I was a youngin, but have certainly had my moments of going swimming with someone not good in a canoe. I'm thinking it might be nice to have a canoe that also has a rear mount for using a small motor besides when times are normal and fuel is plentiful, but it's still a canoe in the end. Like a Gheenoe.

http://gheenoe.net/

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I've been fishing from Jon boats and the like my whole life. Bought a canoe and took it out three times. Gave it away to my neighbor who used it twice and gave it away to somebody else. The problem is their so long (mine was only a 14') and the ends stick up in the air. If there is any kind of wind, and I mean ANY kind of wind. Even a breeze! You nearly can't steer the things, and if you paddle yourself blue in the face sweating like a whore in church to fight the wind you still haven't made any real headway because you spent all your energy just trying to keep it pointed the right direction.

We bought a couple kayaks we were much happier with, but ended up going back to a Jon boat for small lakes and such because their so much more practical once you have them on the water.

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
Get me in a canoe and it would be like a remake of the Poseidon Adventure. I don't get in anything smaller than a cruise ship unless the cruise ship is sinking, but I do pack a lovely sundress and a nice shawl just in case.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As long as you can swim your alright if the canoe flips. I tie my gear off with 550 to the canoe. That way it's recoverable. Sweating like a whore in church is definitely true, but a little exercise is a good thing and it's a hell of a lot harder to get around in a bigger boat when you've run out of fuel. Kayaks are too small for my taste and don't hold as much gear. Plus there basically one person. Inflatables are ok, but one pop from a submerged branch and it's over.

young_woman_asleep_in_canoe_kk_bh2_4758.jpg

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I have an aluminum 15' Gregor 150 (not a canoe). It was chosen for features that lend themselves well to the bodies of water in this area. I like canoes and wouldn't mind owning one, yet a 12' dory skiff is better suited to this area. The problem one encounters with canoes is the amount of freeboard. If one is going light then a canoe is a good option. Loading a canoe down will quickly reduce the freeboard and if rough water or a sudden storm were to come up, it could get pretty sporty.

·
Banned
1,895 Posts
A canoe is great but I am convinced a solid catamaran may be the best simple non military boat.. since it can be powered by sail rowing or motor. It can go on quite shallow water not much draft and is just in general a good boat.

you can get em smaller than this but this is just awsome for the price

http://bc.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles...torboats-70-x-20-Catamaran-W0QQAdIdZ518713688

you can also get electric motors.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
A canoe is great but I am convinced a solid catamaran may be the best simple non military boat.. since it can be powered by sail rowing or motor. It can go on quite shallow water not much draft and is just in general a good boat.

70' x 20' Catamaran - Vancouver Powerboats, Motorboats For Sale - Kijiji Vancouver Canada.

Kevin Costner agreed.

Water World:
View attachment 2875

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

70' x 20' Catamaran - Vancouver Powerboats, Motorboats For Sale - Kijiji Vancouver Canada.

Maybe for the ocean, but try to get that thing through a swamp. The ocean and inland waters are two different worlds and two different kinds of boats reign.

:smile:

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
As a survival tool, if I'm going to use a motor it will be electric. Whatever amount of batteries & solar charging system. Gas motor, like a gas generator, will draw attention.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Get me in a canoe and it would be like a remake of the Poseidon Adventure. I don't get in anything smaller than a cruise ship unless the cruise ship is sinking, but I do pack a lovely sundress and a nice shawl just in case.
As long as it isn't a remake of Deliverance, it is all good.. Dueling banjo music plain in the background..

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
As a survival tool, if I'm going to use a motor it will be electric. Whatever amount of batteries & solar charging system. Gas motor, like a gas generator, will draw attention.
I've been thinking about a solar powered battery charger. My neighbor uses one for his batteries for his electric motor. If I buy a Gheenoe though, there capable of nice speed with a gas motor. Feeding it will be the thing though, but when it's dry, that you can paddle is the point of it still being a canoe.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
In a world where water travel has once again become a prime mode, . . . the canoe is going to be really hard to beat, . . . as we talk of inland waters.

Once the SHTF, . . . all locks will be frozen open or closed, . . . meaning you portage around them.

You will portage around all dams (if they don't go bye-bye in the SHTF scenario) as well as all rapids.

Here in central Ohio, . . . we have a good bunch of rivers and streams, . . . mostly navigable by canoe or kayak, . . . but nothing bigger, . . . including a jon boat. And even at that, . . . you will travel light, . . . or you will portage a lot of the way.

May God bless,
Dwight

1 - 20 of 55 Posts