Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have iodine stains on my Pur water filter. I used a cartridge that had the iodine impregnated filter and apparently didn't get it completely dry the last time I used it. So now it has these splotchy, yellow/brown iodine stains all over it. Probably doesn't hurt anything but looks like hell.

I like the idea of iodine or did...Anyway I'm in the process of replacing the filter and cleaning the unit up and would appreciate ideas or input on how to clean up the stains...If it were just me I'd know it was up to snuff, but somebody else may think it was a bit to salty looking to trust the water coming out of it. :lol:

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Sodium thiosulfate in water is the quickest way to remove iodine stains. You can find it in aquarium and photo supply stores. It is called "Hypo" for photography and it is medicinal use in aquariums. Rinse it well afterwards because in concentrations it can be poisonous.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Sodium thiosulfate in water is the quickest way to remove iodine stains. You can find it in aquarium and photo supply stores. It is called "Hypo" for photography and it is medicinal use in aquariums. Rinse it well afterwards because in concentrations it can be poisonous.
Word. I have a test I run in the lab I work in where we use Iodine as an indicator and titrae with Sodium Thiosulfate until the iodine indicator turns clear. It also works well to get iodine stains out of lab coats really really well also.

Oh, in heavey enough concentrations it will ruin your day, and the next day, and the next........

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks this gives me a good idea of what I need to clean up the stains. It's a perfectly fine water filter and I've used it quite a bit over the years. I'm also going to change out the carbon in the after filter as well, no more iodine...lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts