Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
@ND_ponyexpress_

Son2 played Youth Hockey for 11 years (Mite through Midget) and 2 years USA Juniors (East Coast Juniors)

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT go back and add up all the money and time you spent each season. It will piss you off!!!:vs_whistle:

Thankfully, USA Juniors was paid for by the team that selected him so no cost to Son2 or me, but dang hockey was expensive! Especially when the kid got strong enough to start breaking sticks with slapshots! (Midget age if memory serves)
have 2 in hockey now.. a mite and a peewee

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Can't speak for hockey, but when two sons qualify in the invite only select soccer league at the highest level in Texas. Those 11 months and every weekend games making up a season get expensive. Did I mention our team was based in Dallas Texas and I drove an hour and 45 minutes each way for practice twice a week from northeast Texas?

2 Sons and 5 years apart... I lived soccer as my hobby for 15 years and never really cared for the game. I did learn to understand and respect that soccer players are some of the most elite athletes in the world.

Who knows how much money... gas, time, restaurants, hotels, fees, gear? I spent tens of thousands of dollars, likely not too far south of a 100 grand.

Did I mention I hate soccer? I haven't watched a game since the last one my youngest son played in.
yea hockey is like that... but also have to buy new equipment every 1-2 years... $200 skates (plus weekly sharpening) $120 sticks yearly (cut to size), helmets, tape, chest protectors, neck guards, breezers, elbow pads, shin guards, practice socks, game socks, mouth guards, practice jerseys, camps,... wish I had got them into swimming..... speedo and gogles

·
Registered
21,104 Posts
have 2 in hockey now.. a mite and a peewee
Slippy's Rules of Youth Hockey/Sports;

Kid Will Pack and Carry Their Own Equipment Bag
Kid Ties His Own Skates, No Matter How Young. Lace Assist Tool OK
If Kid Forgets a Necessary Piece of Equipment, Parent Will NOT buy you a replacement at the rink. You will sit out the game and fill water bottles.
Kid will wake up on their own for early morning games/practices.

Oh and if Kid bangs pucks into drywall in garage causing holes, kid will learn to patch drywall!

·
Registered
11,945 Posts
yea hockey is like that... but also have to buy new equipment every 1-2 years... $200 skates (plus weekly sharpening) $120 sticks yearly (cut to size), helmets, tape, chest protectors, neck guards, breezers, elbow pads, shin guards, practice socks, game socks, mouth guards, practice jerseys, camps,... wish I had got them into swimming..... speedo and gogles
Did I mention my youngest is a girl and she did competion cheerleading all over the darn State. Started when she was 6 all the way to high school where she dropped out and just did high school cheerleading. You ever been to a 2 day cheerleading competition? Man it's pretty awesome for the first 4 or 5 teams... then it just gets loud, annoying, repetitive, and leaves you with a feeling of "I gotta get out of here". She competed in major stadiums at colleges, the Cowboys AT&T stadium and convention centers.

I learned to take my lap top and sit at the highest row in the stadium and be productive.

Drama? Oh my Good Lord, I left my good wife down below to play in that batshit crazy game.

I refer to them now as the bow head days, as it was a usual part of the custom designed uniforms.

Thank goodness cheer season was only 4 or 5 months long and not competing every weekend.

Trace turned our ok, she is finishing up her masters at SFA in Nacogdoches (may God bless Mrs Slippy) after earning her bachelors at University of North Texas in Denton. She has majored in social work in behavorial studies. She wants to impact the world and work with those at risk. She knows her Dad is known and is a Watchman. I keep telling her I am the one of a class that is at risk.

·
Registered
357 Posts
.-- . .-.. .-.. / -.-- --- ..- / .--- ..- ... - / .-. . -- .. -. -.. . -.. / -- . / .. / -. . . -.. / - --- / -... ..- -.-- / .- / -.. . -.-. --- -.. . .-. .-.-.- / .-.. . .- .-. -. .. -. --. / -.-. --- -.. . / .-- .- ... / ... --- -- . - .... .. -. --. / .. / -. . ...- . .-. / --. --- - / .- .-. --- ..- -. -.. / - --- .-.-.-
Looks like a Klingon menu, yummy..:)
Well you just reminded me I need to buy a decoder. Learning code was something I never got around to..:)

https://morsecode.world/international/translator.html

·
Registered
357 Posts
Problems with society, watching too much TV/movies, relating too much of life and how life should be with TV/movies and believing what they see on TV/movies as real. Turned my TV off 18 years ago.
Haha yes, the problem with TV (especially soaps) is that people think they're supposed to be like the shit-for-brains characters they see on screen..:)

·
Super Moderator
9,209 Posts
Haha yes, the problem with TV (especially soaps) is that people think they're supposed to be like the shit-for-brains characters they see on screen..:)
That's precisely why I hate TV. They are geared to a 3 year old mind. And guess what's happening to the adults watching.

·
Registered
357 Posts
That's precisely why I hate TV. They are geared to a 3 year old mind. And guess what's happening to the adults watching.
Yeah and even some survival shows are just plain BAD BAD BAD like Grylls 'Born Survivor' shows.
I used to like them at first but got fed up of the way he ran around like a blue-arsed fly, constantly looking round as if he was being chased by imaginary enemies, and I kept yelling at the screen "Slow down fer chrissake and get out a map and take time to carefully plan your route!"
I know it was just pure entertainment but it sent out the wrong message to hikers and survivalists, especially kids.

·
Registered
Firearms & Self Defense.
4,374 Posts
.-- . .-.. .-.. / -.-- --- ..- / .--- ..- ... - / .-. . -- .. -. -.. . -.. / -- . / .. / -. . . -.. / - --- / -... ..- -.-- / .- / -.. . -.-. --- -.. . .-. .-.-.- / .-.. . .- .-. -. .. -. --. / -.-. --- -.. . / .-- .- ... / ... --- -- . - .... .. -. --. / .. / -. . ...- . .-. / --. --- - / .- .-. --- ..- -. -.. / - --- .-.-.-
Looks like a Klingon menu, yummy..

Well you just reminded me I need to buy a decoder. Learning code was something I never got around to..

https://morsecode.world/international/translator.html
I thought that is was Morse code, or a new kind of Braille. Here let me try.

""†‡"★†¢¢€¥^°{{^π÷={^¥|€|}:;!›„«»$#³. 1åæäßū4û6úô

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just the title of this post spoke to me. I am not a vet and have not been through really heavy trauma. But I do have 1 friend that I trust and can stand to be around for more than an hour, am generally anti social, like others have said I do my best socially when I have a job to do and it is strictly business. I guess this is my introduction post to these forums. Hello. I came here to learn from like and not so like minded people at an arms length.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Everyone should pay attention to the tinder gold review, it's something amazing. Everything is so cool and understandable, nothing more. I will have to recommend this dating site to my neighbor from the lower floor, otherwise at night I hear her lonely footsteps around the apartment and I feel sad for her.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts