Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a conversation with my niece once at a family event. They know I am into prepping, and I was getting the usual ridicule and being laughed at etc. Nothing new there. But I struck up a conversation with her about it. I used the Earthquake scenario, since we live in Southern California at least she is familiar with that.
This was very simplistic, I was just trying to get a point across and I had an unexpected result.
I told her we just had a big EQ, no power, no water etc, but I went past that.

ME "So this EQ hits right now, how much Feminine products do you have?"

HER "Nothing right now, it's not my time"

ME "OK, lets pretend it is, what would you do?"

HER "Go to the store"

ME "There is no store, they are closed, even if they were open, it's cash only, do you have any cash?"

HER "A few dollars, I just use my debit card"

ME " "Again, no power, ALL the local stores are closed, what would you do?" (this is where it gets interesting)

HER "Go to the store"

ME "NO stores, all closed"

HER "Go to the store"

ME "NO stores, all closed"

HER "Go to the store"

At this point I stopped, and listening to her and looking at her facial expression, I realized her brain was not capable of understanding that a store would not be available. She is no dummy, good student, good grades, FYI she was about 17 when this happened. But her entire life has been very good, never went hungry, never wanted for anything (except the newest I phone of course) and her brain could not process something not being available to her, especially something like that. I gave up on the entire thing and she just bounced away to talk to her cousins about her strange uncle - LOL. Just something I picked up on .

SIDE NOTE:
Feminine hygiene products in my experience are a truly overlooked item. It is not a “cool” item (guns, ammo etc) but a very much needed one. I have packs of items in all my car kits and a good stock at home. My wife does not even use it anymore but my daughter does, and she is married and away from the house. Regardless of what it is, pads, tampons make sure you stock up on whatever is needed.

·
Super Moderator
9,481 Posts
Ever hear you can't fix stupid??
Not so much stupid as normalcy bias. There are many who suffer from this condition both intelligent and the not so much. For those it won't sink in until it's too late. Many are just 3 days away from starvation.

Each area has it's own hazards. CA has earthquakes and power outages, we have tornado's and power outages. After any disaster people make a dash for the store and clean it out. Once the disaster is over, normalcy bias kicks in. The really sad part is normalcy bias is going to cause a lot of deaths when the shtf.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Normalcy bias is a good term. I think that really applies in these situations. I have seen people swamp stores before a hurricane for everything, but soon as the event has passed the plywood goes (well it used too) in the trash and the generators go up for sale. I just don’t get that.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I had some experience of learning classes with people at my work. Logical explanations are not suitable for everyone, unfortunately. Of course, you need an individual approach and blah blah blah. But there is a hard and universal way if you need a quick result in learning. A person put face to face with the problem he should solve in a short time. The person receives a notice that he will have significant problems if he does not cope with the task (of course there would be nothing terrible, but I did not communicate about it in advance). True, some after such experiments hated me, but I do not care.

It looks like an army method, when officers and soldiers do not always have information about the type of anxiety, which was announced. Educational anxiety or combat? It is unknown. It turns out a good shake for thinking. During World War II, there were quite high-quality instructions for the preparation, where this method was recommended for the speedy training of recruits. The growth results are sometimes striking when I read reports of those times.

·
Super Moderator
9,072 Posts
So Dirk, I have to ask. Was this conversation recent, or from before the start or the virus shortages?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This conversation was pre COVID, however the same family members that were all a bit nuts when the pandemic hit and supplies were in short supply have all gone back 100% to oblivion. They are all “selling their generators” so to speak.

Hey I just made that phrase up“selling their generators” maybe that’s the new catch phrase for all these morons!

·
Super Moderator
9,072 Posts
I kind of thought so. I haven't talked to my sister-in-law who suddenly saw the light a few weeks after the go and hide instruction came out. She also wanted me to send her a firearm. Had to explain I can't do that. She did go out and purchase a XD-9. Hope she sells it to me when goes back to normal.
Thanks for the response. While I have a genset, I'd like a larger one.

·
Registered
94 Posts
So…being a male, you decide to jam her up on things that uncles have no business discussing with minors. Nor it seems, did you include a female family member in the discussion who could have told you where to pound sand.

Lucky you can still walk.

Bet you feel proud.

·
Registered
24,377 Posts
So…being a male, you decide to jam her up on things that uncles have no business discussing with minors. Nor it seems, did you include a female family member in the discussion who could have told you where to pound sand.

Bet you feel proud.
I dare say you don't know the family or their relationships.

We have cases of the product in the attic. Why? Because no woman wants to be without it.

Yes. Dirk was talking to a 17-year-old. Most 17-year-olds are thinking about prepping or survival but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be thinking about it. There are places in the world where 17-year-olds are right in the middle in SHTF scenarios and there might be one of those scenarios lurking around the corner for us. The girl is lucky to have an uncle who took the time to plant the seed. Maybe the seed will grow and she'll realize the need to prepare.

Do you have neices? if so, have you cared enough to plant seeds?

·
Registered
6,094 Posts

Bet you feel proud.

I'm offended by your post.
How dare you assume the OP identifies as a male and the niece identifies as a female.
Bet you feel proud.

Reactions: inceptor

·
Super Moderator
State of Grace
6,643 Posts
I'm not faulting anyone for stocking up on tampons and pads. That's a good thing, especially if your girl/s are used to them. But get some menstrual cups, too. They take up almost no space at all and will last for months, years, really.

·
Super Moderator
State of Grace
6,643 Posts

Bet you feel proud.
I appreciate your sensitivity with regard to the matter at hand and you could be right. But being as we weren't there to listen in, it's possible, even most probable that it handled with discretion.

·
Administrator
15,092 Posts
Everyone should have tampons and pads around for first aid purposes.
That should be a no-brainer.

Reactions: Robie
1 - 16 of 16 Posts