Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on the hunt for a rifle and pistol that share not only the same ammunition, but ALSO share the same magazines. I know Excel Arms makes a few weapons that deliver, but I've heard some pretty bad reviews on Excel... I also heard that Walther's G22 and P22 can swap mags, but it requires a good deal of modification to the mag's floorplates. Conversion kits for rifles are also acceptable. Any ideas?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Your might check out some of the Hi-Points. Welcome to Hi-Point Firearms!
They make great guns, all American made and a life time warranty. Look at the .45 and .9mm versions in pistol and carbines.

·
Registered
9,221 Posts
i'm on the hunt for a rifle and pistol that share not only the same ammunition, but also share the same magazines. I know excel arms makes a few weapons that deliver, but i've heard some pretty bad reviews on excel... I also heard that walther's g22 and p22 can swap mags, but it requires a good deal of modification to the mag's floorplates. Conversion kits for rifles are also acceptable. Any ideas?
you are in my opinion going in the wrong direction.
If you just want it for "normal" times to play with, fine.
There are a few in 9mm and 40 cal.
When your life will depend on it, you had better have a efficient, reliable, intermediate caliber, box mag fed semi-auto.
None of the swap offs you are looking to get are of sufficient quality to stake your life on.

·
Registered
85 Posts
you are in my opinion going in the wrong direction.
If you just want it for "normal" times to play with, fine.
There are a few in 9mm and 40 cal.
When your life will depend on it, you had better have a efficient, reliable, intermediate caliber, box mag fed semi-auto.
None of the swap offs you are looking to get are of sufficient quality to stake your life on.
I would have to agree here......Unless you are going to go .357/.44 Mag revolver and a Lever Gun to match.

Limit yourself to one caliber for the rifle and one for sidearm. 5.56 Nato. Buy practice ammo and then store up some good M855 or 1000 rounds of SOST T556TNB1.

Get a good .40 or even better a quality 1911 in .45 ACP.

Just my opinion,

Karsten

·
Registered
33 Posts
Kris vector takes G21 mags, but its a pistol caliber carbine. There are also Ar and Ak pistols out there, if legal for you to own.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Gotta agree with the folks saying you're looking in the wrong direction. That said, if you are dead set on this concept, Beretta is probably the way to go with their pistol-caliber carbines.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Beretta makes the storm (rifle/carbine) that can use their pistol mags.

If you like lever action you could probably find something in 357 that you like and use that with a revolver of some kind.

·
Registered
6 Posts
On a serious note as someone said earler, when your life will depends on what you are carrying you need somthing dependable, ready right then, and able to take a certain amount of punishment. How about .357 revolver (possibly more reliable, but less capacity) and an 1894 Marlin in .357. Can use .38 spec, .357, even hand load in a survival situation with #3 buckshot for small game if u prepare ahead. I know not exactly what you asked, but food for thought.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I would suggest the p90 and fn 5.7 if I was on the go, the ammo is so light and in the p90 has more energy then a 45 plus a 50 rnd magazine would keep their heads down if you need to excape a bad situation. You can even get 30 rnd magazines for the fn 5.7.

·
Registered
95 Posts
A long gun chambered in an actual rifle caliber (5.45x39, 5.56x45, 7.62x39, 7.62x51, .30-06, etc.), would obviously be preferable to a pistol caliber long arm. However, there might be situations for some folks where a pistol caliber carbine might be the best choice (one situation that comes to mind is a shooter that is not physically capable of handling a larger caliber, whether because of age or some physical ailment)...in which case there are a few choices where you could have your long gun and your pistol using the same ammo and magazines.

The first that comes to mind is, as armyguy mentioned, the Kel-Tec Sub2000 carbine. In 9mm, it can be had in versions that accept Glock 17 mags, Glock 19 mags, Beretta 92 mags, S&W M.59 mags, and Sig P226 mags. In .40 S&W, it's available in versions that accept Glock 22 mags, Glock 23 mags, Beretta 96 mags, S&W M.4006 mags, and Sig P226 mags. Also, you can change the mag catch so you can use the Beretta mags, or S&W mags, or the Sig mags. The Glock version can't be changed. And in case you aren't aware of it, the SUB 2000 also folds in half, at the trigger guard, to a length of only 16"...though it can't be fired in this position, and it only weighs 4 pounds empty. So it's certainly a very light, handy weapon.

There is also at least one maker of an AR in 9mm that accepts Glock mags, and also the new Feather takes Glock mags and is available in .22LR/9mm/357 SIG/.40 S&W/45ACP/10mm, and there is some ability to swap calibers too.

Then you could always go the Calico or Uzi route. Both of these are available in carbines as well as "pistols", but in both cases, the pistols are quite large, more along the lines of what's often referred to (erroneously) as "assault pistols".

Marlin made a Camp Carbine in 9mm that used S&W M.59 mags, and in .45 that used 1911 mags. These are no longer manufactured, and are becoming difficult to find, and the prices are going up.

Iver Johnson made a 9mm M1 carbine that took Hi-Power magazines. These are even scarcer, apparently were not produced in large numbers.

Another option is the kits that are available that can convert the Glock pistols into carbines.

The idea of a lever action/revolver combo is also quite valid, and probably would extend the useful range of both carbine and pistol, since most of these would likely be chambered in .357 or .44 Magnum, though other, less-powerful cartridges are also available.

Hope this was of some help.
Tim

·
Registered
85 Posts
:shock:
How about using the 7.62x39 in the 308 or 30-06?
Or the 308 in the 30-06?
If the SHTF these could be a real life saver.
CHAMBER ADAPTERS
Chamber adapters are iffy at best in a bolt gun and will sometimes eject with the spent round.....Nor a big deal other than now you have to collect the round and adapter, remove the swollen case and re install and chamber a round.

In a Semi Auto the chamber adapter goes flying with the ejected round, next round is chambered, trigger pulled and the gun goes BOOM:shock:
Thus ruining the rifle and your day as well.

Karsten

·
Registered
14 Posts
funny thing is i just posted this else ware lol

several times i have headed up to wal-mart for ammo during panic buying sessions of the masses and 9mm,5.56 and 45 have been cleaned out but there have always been some .40. if you are looking for consolidation look at what platform can run both rounds. For example a beretta 96 (cant recall the model have to wait till my dealer that runs his 96 with a 92 barrel wakes up - graveyard shift machinist) can use the 92m barrel. and the magazines are identical. so with 1 gun and a spare barrel you can fire both rounds in what ever ammo you find. the other thought is in a bad scenario look at what gets you unwanted attention. i have never been a fan of plastic gun (1911 fan boy) BUT on a convincing argument ,that i'll get into in a sec, i got a glock 27 and never have been disappointed in it. the argument went along these lines. the glock 27 can use ALL glock .40 cal mags, the majority of police officer carry a glock .40, sometimes (my neighbors' case) carry 2 of them and one in his patrol car. look at things like social breakdown. running around with a large weapon on you instantly makes you a combatant or some one with supplies that some one else wants. under those situations it would not be surprising (altho definitely a bad sign) to come across ditched police vehicles or even a downed officer, there is nearly no chance a gun would be left but there is a fairly decent odds that magazines would be and again fairly good odds they will be glock .40 cal mags, so with resupply in mind there really is a better chance of finding .40 ammo out there (imo) and odds are it will already be packed in magazines for you. i'd ditch the 9mm unless you go for a duel setup like the beretta.

this part is different

what sort of situation you feel you would most likely be in? hunkered down on acres and a bunker? having to do a lot of traveling from point a to point b and then on to c? for the first one i'd take a ar 10, fal. the second a ar-15 in 5.56 or an ak-47. all 4 options have reasonable availability for ammo (not that 5.56x45 or 7.62x39 are amazing rounds but there is a lot of it out there).

just my 2 bits.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree that if you are interested in handgun calibers a revolver and lever action carbine combo would give you the most power/versatility. If you're set on autos you might look into the Ruger PC9 and PC40, they use the same mags as their P series pistols.

Or you could step it up a bit and go with a rifle caliber combo. I have a SIG 556 and a Kel-tec PLR-16, both are 5.56/.223 and both use AR mags. I don't carry them together but having both broadens the spectrum of uses for a 5.56 semiauto weapon.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.