Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I'm starting a new project this week involving an IBC Tote as a water storage device that will be fed by rain gutters on my shed. I worked on the foundation today to make sure this beast will be level and won't sink into the mud if it rains.

Next week I am going to install the gutters and figure out how to direct the water into the tank. I'll post more later.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I haven't installed it or used it yet but I bought one of these for catching the rain for my containment
If whatever you are filling gets full the water will by pass and go down the spouting as normal (we will see)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is the next video installment:

This one covers how to protect the tote from the sun by making a cover out of sun shade fabric.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I have 4 of those bad boys (275 gal) I am in the process f hooking up to a catchment system that comes off my roof. The current plan will get 100% of the back of the roof to feed them, and I hope to include 60% of the front of the house next spring. :) I built a seriously over-engineered deck to hold them and provide a level surface. I'm hoping to get the system actually working (it's an "in the works" project right now) by this fall.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have 4 of those bad boys (275 gal) I am in the process f hooking up to a catchment system that comes off my roof. The current plan will get 100% of the back of the roof to feed them, and I hope to include 60% of the front of the house next spring. :) I built a seriously over-engineered deck to hold them and provide a level surface. I'm hoping to get the system actually working (it's an "in the works" project right now) by this fall.
Awesome. I wish I had room for more of these. What are you going to do with all that water?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Awesome. I wish I had room for more of these. What are you going to do with all that water?
For now, it'll be overkill for the garden. I have built and am in the process of installing 2 4'x16' garden boxes, 1 4'x10' box, and 1 4'x8' hanging garden (will be using rain gutters to hang between 8 and 12 sections of hanging hardens for shallow rooted plants like radishes). We also have 2 potato boxes built (2.5'x8' and 3'x6') which we won't be using them until planting time, and we have a ton of berry bushes, and the rhubarb planted behind the shed.

After the crash we all believe is coming, it'll be for drinking water as well. It'll be filtered and boiled first though. That is, *IF* I ever get the damned project finished and working! lol Too many projects, not enough time OR money! ;)

·
Registered
409 Posts
LDS those were good videos...have you given a thought about dirt, bird guano entering your system...any method to clean before entering.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For now, it'll be overkill for the garden. I have built and am in the process of installing 2 4'x16' garden boxes, 1 4'x10' box, and 1 4'x8' hanging garden (will be using rain gutters to hang between 8 and 12 sections of hanging hardens for shallow rooted plants like radishes). We also have 2 potato boxes built (2.5'x8' and 3'x6') which we won't be using them until planting time, and we have a ton of berry bushes, and the rhubarb planted behind the shed.

After the crash we all believe is coming, it'll be for drinking water as well. It'll be filtered and boiled first though. That is, *IF* I ever get the damned project finished and working! lol Too many projects, not enough time OR money! ;)
I hear ya. I have a list of at least 2 dozen projects that I want to start right away just no time or funds. I also have 3-4 of them that need some more finishing work before me (and my wife) will be satisfied with the results.

My setup is for the same 2 purposes. I need an automatic way to water my garden so that the water soaks the roots properly but I also want drinking water and a way to replenish it if something disastrous happens. I estimate that 275 gallons gives my family of 5 about 100 days of drinking water. Not great but it is a start.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LDS those were good videos...have you given a thought about dirt, bird guano entering your system...any method to clean before entering.
Thanks for the feedback! I love making videos and helping people get ideas of their own.

As for filtration, there really is no way to prevent dissolvable materials from entering the system. The water would have to be boiled before drinking. But having access to fresh water could be critical someday and I am in suburbia with no nearby decent size water source. I will put in filtration for large particles such as leaves and branches but I don't know what you can do about bird poop.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Howdy neighbor (literately). Two things i did to help with bird poop etc. First is rain gutter leaf protectors. They are like a foam triangle that snugly fit in the gutter, i placed a couple by down spout. Then the other is a relief pipe below where water goes to tank. instead of an elbow going to tank, put in a T. Below the T is just a pipe that is capped off and a water spicket on the end (just to drain it). So the 3 ft of pipe below the T takes in the first 3 or so gallons (the dirtiest water) before it diverts to my tank. Can post some pictures tomorrow if needed.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Howdy neighbor (literately). Two things i did to help with bird poop etc. First is rain gutter leaf protectors. They are like a foam triangle that snugly fit in the gutter, i placed a couple by down spout. Then the other is a relief pipe below where water goes to tank. instead of an elbow going to tank, put in a T. Below the T is just a pipe that is capped off and a water spicket on the end (just to drain it). So the 3 ft of pipe below the T takes in the first 3 or so gallons (the dirtiest water) before it diverts to my tank. Can post some pictures tomorrow if needed.
That's effective... At least until that leg of the tee fills up. At that point, anthing big or solid enough to be carried by water WILL eventually show up downstream. I would add a significant settling "pond", like perhaps a 55 gallon drum. Pipe water in on one side of the top and out on the other. Just so there's no chance of direct in-out flow. You're going to have to worry about TDS downstream, but the barrel will keep out the frogs without a worry.

·
Super Moderator
3,480 Posts
I have two of those totes that I have filled from the outside faucet. We are not legally allowed to collect rain water. If our well had not dried up due to droughts then I could have applied for an exemption. a

We use what we call an in/out system to keep it full. A hose is connected to one end from the faucet and another hose is connected to the other end. We use this for watering gardens that are not close to the house and providing our animals with water. It keeps the water fresh and we always have a supply if needed.

Although it is permissible to direct your residential property roof downspouts toward landscaped areas, unless you own a specific type of exempt well permit, you cannot collect rainwater in any other manner, such as storage in a cistern or tank, for later use

Rainwater Collection and Graywater Reuse

·
Registered
41 Posts
Does anyone have the math on how many sqft of rain collecting area (rooftop) would generally be enough to water a group of people and plants/livestock?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts