Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Say a person has no money but needs access to resources in the future and is willing to work for it. Preparedness can really add up. The more people the better right? As long as you can trust them. I know it sounds bad but how else can you do it sometimes?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
The more people the better right? As long as you can trust them.
IMHO this wrong, the more you have in a group the better the chances that one or more will turn on you as supply's dwindle.
People will do strange things when hunger sets in. We and the prepper neighbor that we prep with is it for us when and if all hell breaks lose.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it's kindof worth taking care of them if they help me protect what's mine. What if I get injured? I would expect that they would take care of me too. But maybe I'm more trusting of people. I'd rely on them owing me just like if the roles were reversed. Actually it'd be very likely that
I'd be the servant.

If there's plenty to go around and you'll have a better chance of surviving with others, why turn against them?

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Indentured servant is an old world concept, but..

I fully intend to trade room and board for physical labor in the near future, this isn't really a indentured servant as we really are more enlightened than our decendents.

All men are endowed by God with life, liberty and property.

So I won't have indentured servants, but I will have people that work for room and board, they can take it or leave it.

For instance, when it hits the fan, I burn forced air natural gas to heat my home. I have a really nice wood stove but (as an accountant) it doesn't pay to burn wood with natural gas as an option.

But when SHTF I will need wood and will be willing to trade for food. They do all the risk of running around the woods, I stay put and feed them.

The people that are not prepared will IMO be willing to do that for a square meal.

Also I have a LOT of farm land that is irrigated by a gravity pressurized sprinkler system (think 1/4 mile wheel lines).

I will happily sharecrop out my land for a 50% take of the harvest, which BTW is a normal share.

That is my thoughts.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Having someone working for you because the owe you something is what an indentured servant is. There is little pride to be taken in the work they perform and less satisfaction. Coexistence with others in a mutually beneficial trade seems a better way to go but... there is always a but... it could make it easy for an outside force to gain info on what you have, defenses, offensive capability and weaknesses that might exist. All they have to do is send in a scout to work for you and in a week or two they have the ability to get in to get what they want.

I applaud the concept but it is important to consider the outcomes of such a tactic.

Reactions: kevincali

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Say a person has no money but needs access to resources in the future and is willing to work for it. Preparedness can really add up. The more people the better right? As long as you can trust them. I know it sounds bad but how else can you do it sometimes?
this is the second post of yours I have seen, both are good posts as in you have a concern about opsec/working alone as been misguided notions

personally after shtf, it's me and mine I look out for (my "established group" also counts as mine) hiring ppl after or during a shtf event has a lot of risks... as what's stops them from taking what's yours??

there was a post somewhere (I hope it was here) but a young mother sets up camp at 2am in the morning across the road from you...

those kinds of situations can increase your numbers... or get you killed, its a balanced risk we all must take when it comes up

but to answer your question, no I would not work for someone else's food/shelter or will I make people work for me.....

but there are skills I lack, but I have higher quality skills in other areas, that I can use to trade items (repaired) for parts/food/ammo etc

hope this clears up my view

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Working for room and board is not the same as indentured servitude. If you work for room and board if is pretty much the same as any job. You perform a service and in return get something of value, and either party can end the agreement at any time. The employer can say tell the employee to "hit the bricks", or the employee can say to the employer "I am out of here". In addition, either side can re-negotiate their agreement. If the employee feels that his service is worth more then just room and board, he can always say that if he doesn't get more he is going to leave.

An indentured servant is enters into voluntary servitude for an agreed to amount of time in exchange for something of value. An example would be something like for in exchange for working this land for 5 years I will give you 2 cows and an horse. There is no further negotiation, there is no other options until the agreed to amount of time is over.

The main differences between the two is that those are working for something in exchange tend to do the best they can in hope that at some future time they can do it again, or in the hopes that they will continue to be employed. In indentured servitude, once you have received your payment you are basically running out the clock until your time is met. There is a very good reason that the indentured servitude system is no longer used anywhere. A good example of this is the early American Colonies. People would be hired to be indentured servants in exchange for transportation from Europe to the Colonies in exchange for 7 years of labor. In many cases the indentured servants would take of before their commitment was met, and in most cases the indentured servants would leave after their time was up and the person doing the hiring was always finding themselves having a shortage of skilled laborers.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I think it's an issue that if the SHTF we are all going to have to deal with, and that is who can we really trust?

My short answer is that I trust no one outside of my immediate family. Anyone else has to earn trust by their actions. My wife and daughter thinks that is somewhat Neanderthal, but hey, it's worked for me for many years without anyone sticking it to me.

I don't know how it will work if things really do go south. I don't see my current trust model working very well if things are fluid and I have to trust someone on short notice. I guess that I'll have to extend a certain amount of trust, all the while keeping a very close eye on them. Not my ideal way, but what choice do I have?

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
All the choices are there in front of you. You can insist they leave, you can assist them and tell them they have to keep going, you can take them in, you can let them take advantage before you shoot them or you can roll over let them have what you have earned. (and die for it)

My problem is that you don't "know" who is trustworthy. Anyone can put on an act for a short time - long enough to gain your trust? Anyone could be a person who would kill you in your sleep or hurt your family. They might also be the best thing that ever happened. There is no way to know whether they are going to be a good person or one who has a different morality.

We will have to make those judgements with our experience and the guidance of "whatever we see as our guiding force". It has been said that your first duty is to God, then your family, and finally to your "neighbors". That is the way it will play out for me. You might notice that "family means more than being a blood relation to me.

Reactions: BamaBoy101

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
We will have to make those judgements with our experience and the guidance of "whatever we see as our guiding force". It has been said that your first duty is to God, then your family, and finally to your "neighbors". That is the way it will play out for me. You might notice that "family means more than being a blood relation to me.
I disagree with this statement.. not the I am prefect and will follow it but..

If our first duty is to GOD then we may find that HIS will.

That isn't going to be obviously what makes me most comfortable, it is what HE will find works best for the most people. It goes back to an old Star Trek line that the need of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

So My plan is to pour out my preps as the Lord leads and let the chips fall where they may

Matthew 25:34 "Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

I don't expect all you to follow me, but you should at least consider the choices you make.

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
The post about seven years as indentured servant to get a ride to the new world is dead on. I did geneology & found exactly that. Married couple from Ireland to Charleston. She worked in the house & he was a coppersmith. Both had Sundays off & both work on their own & sold what they made. So when their time was up they had money stashed. They bought horses, a wagon, & supplies & started moving north till they found a climate that was more to their liking which was Pennsylvania.

Basic farm work with preplanning wouldn't require excess manpower. Working draught horses are one option doing farming like the amish. Steam tractors are another option.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I think it's kindof worth taking care of them if they help me protect what's mine. What if I get injured? I would expect that they would take care of me too. But maybe I'm more trusting of people. I'd rely on them owing me just like if the roles were reversed. Actually it'd be very likely that
I'd be the servant.

If there's plenty to go around and you'll have a better chance of surviving with others, why turn against them?
I personally would care for an injured member so long as first they bring value to the group. Second, it appears they can recover and third, it does not put me or mine in jeopardy. If these three points don't apply then a gentle tap behind the ear may be used…

·
Registered
560 Posts
I think it's an issue that if the SHTF we are all going to have to deal with, and that is who can we really trust?

My short answer is that I trust no one outside of my immediate family. Anyone else has to earn trust by their actions. My wife and daughter thinks that is somewhat Neanderthal, but hey, it's worked for me for many years without anyone sticking it to me.

I don't know how it will work if things really do go south. I don't see my current trust model working very well if things are fluid and I have to trust someone on short notice. I guess that I'll have to extend a certain amount of trust, all the while keeping a very close eye on them. Not my ideal way, but what choice do I have?
I think I will be extending lead at the slightest hint of a threat. We have worked to hard for to long to take chances on strangers and I don't see letting someone move on once they have identified my location. Sorry but they can help fertilize the land….

Reactions: slewfoot
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.