Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Try to imagine how awesome it would be to find out we are all ****ing crazy and nothing bad will happen.
We could donate all of our "suitable" supplies & gear to scouts or perhaps some organization that takes handicapped kids camping.
Personally I'd be thrilled to prove that I'm nuts.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
There are times I think they politico's will actually keep the can well kicked down the road. I have long thought
that "SHTF" will be - beyond my life time. I actually grow very leary of those web sites that suggest its just
around the corner. Doesn't mean I'm going to donate my stuff to chairty - I have always figured I'm donating
it to a generation of nephews and neices and maybe even their kids.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are times I think they politico's will actually keep the can well kicked down the road. I have long thought
that "SHTF" will be - beyond my life time. I actually grow very leary of those web sites that suggest its just
around the corner. Doesn't mean I'm going to donate my stuff to chairty - I have always figured I'm donating
it to a generation of nephews and neices and maybe even their kids.
I still hope I'm ready for the funny farm but it looks to me like bad times are in our near future.
Damn, I need a happy meal. Maybe that will cheer me up.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Yes I know things seem bad. I tend to think the "hand outs" are to just keep the can kicked. The powers that be have a good life.
They want that same good life for their kids and themselves indefinitely. Honestly I think the truly elites laugh at the conservatives
the say "don't tax the rich." I really do. I think the truly elites want to have the government keep the masses in line - with
hand outs. They are after getting richer right now so they are not bugged. If SHTF they can handle it, at one time they would
have hired a guy like me, now they just hire the people that are like I was. The elites truly have it good and aren't going to give
it up that easily.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Try to imagine how awesome it would be to find out we are all ****ing crazy and nothing bad will happen.
We could donate all of our "suitable" supplies & gear to scouts or perhaps some organization that takes handicapped kids camping.
Yeah we're all sitting pretty..:)

Bank doors are locked to stop us getting at our cash

WW3

Nuclear accident (this pic is from the Chernobyl death zone)

Riots and looting

"Wars, rumours of wars, false christs, earthquakes, famines, persecutions, darkened sun and moon, falling stars, shaken planets.
Pray that this will not take place in winter, because those will be days of distress unequaled from the beginning until now, and never to be equaled again.
If the Lord had not cut short those days, no one would survive.
Be on guard! Be alert! You do not know when that time will come.
What I say to you, I say to everyone: "Watch!"- Jesus of Nazareth, Mark ch 13

·
9,012 Posts
I too pray I will never need any of the supplies I have put away. But remember, it doesn't have to be some SHTF moment caused by the government. It could be a natural disaster, no matter where you live. To me, preparedness is like house insurance.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Yay, even a modest 'Basic Five Items' stockpile like this would see us through a couple of weeks of loss of power and running water until the Govt could hopefully get things fixed-

Preppers whooping it up after it hits the fan-

Non-preppers-

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Yay, but a neat spread like this offers the best chance of survival because we could grow our own food forever, and there's a river nearby for water, it's nothing new as people lived like this for thousands of years either in self-sufficient single farms or small villages.
As a city feller who knows zilch about growing stuff I can only dream of having a place like this (sniffle)
The only thing that'd put a damper on it is a nuclear winter or haywire weather that zaps the crops.
PS- the coils of barbed wire (red) are to keep cheeky zombs from peering in the windows-

Incidentally here's my 'Doomsday List' of things that could hit us (in no particular order)
1- Chernobyl-type nuclear plant accident, but on a much bigger scale, poisoning an area as big as the USA or the whole of Europe and Asia.
2- Massive meteor or asteroid strike wiping out millions with blast and tsunami, and kicking up enough dust to black out the sun for years like what wiped out the dinosaurs.
3- World War 3 exchange of nuclear weapons poisoning virtually the entire planet.
4- A plague wiping out most humans on earth after accidental release from a bio research lab, or a deliberate release by terrorists to wipe out the population of a specific country, or perhaps a virus naturally evolves that has no cure.
5- EC Event (Economic Collapse) triggering total breakdown of law and order resulting in looting gangs etc.
6- EM pulse (from a solar flare or nuclear bomb) blows out the electricity grid and electronics, it'll be bad but hopefully the govt will have contingency plans to get it fixed and relief food and medicine convoys up and running.
7- Mega-earthquake bigger than anything the earth has experienced before, demolishing a whole bunch of cities across countries or continents.
8- Mega-tsunami triggered by gigantic quake at sea, wiping out coastal areas for a hundred miles or more inland.
9- Runaway volcano that carries on spewing out dust and ash for months, throwing a grey wind-carried shroud around the planet blocking out sunlight and triggering subzero temperature drops.
10- Haywire weather (nonstop storms, tornadoes, hurricanes, blizzards, floods etc) caused by global warming, pollution, ozone depletion etc

So it makes sense to have at least a little stockpile to ease the shock of whatever clobbers us-

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I do think no matter what, having preps is just common sense. The problem I see is that it can really get out of hand for a lot of people. I'm prepared and did it without putting undue financial hardship on my family and didn't run up the credit card at all. What I have seen on this site is many people are paranoid or are living in a fantasy world of their own and are taking it way out of hand. Natural disasters and the possibility of financial collapse is real so prepping makes sense.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Just because we're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get us. My personal belief is that a natural disaster will be what hits us. But my preps will cove most anything, I hope.
LOL true but it seems that many on this site take it to a whole new level.

·
9,012 Posts
I have to admit that the way the government acts does have a tendency to cause paranoia. Again refer to my previous statement.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Remember folks there is really no such thing as being paranoid, it's just good thinkin' when the world is out to get you.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Perhaps nobody thought of this yet but it is good for the economy.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I do think no matter what, having preps is just common sense. The problem I see is that it can really get out of hand for a lot of people....
Yay, as long as we keep a healthy sense of proportion we won't go nuts
. My 'Basic Five Items' stockpile picture will act as a useful speed bump to take the shock out of whatever hits us, but people can of course have FUN FUN FUN adding to it as a hobby..:)
For example they could add a clockwork radio, paraffin lamp and small stove, pocket TV, walky-talkies, binoculars, solar still, solar panels, medicine box, generator etc.
And if they planned on getting out of the city there'd be a whole bunch of outdoorsy stuff they could have fun stockpiling like tent, sleeping bag, survival blanket, knives, tools, maps, compass etc.
The list of prepping items is endless and I haven't even mentioned vehicles, weapons, bunkers etc yet!
Plus of course there are loads of survival books we can read at bedtime, I like reading about the first-hand experiences of travellers and explorers to see how they coped, they make a hell of a lot of mistakes which we can learn from, for example only last night I was reading about Arctic explorers Nansen and Johanssen, they kayakked around hunting for seals and got off on a big ice floe but forgot to tether their kayaks properly, and Nansen had to dive in and swim for them as the wind drifted them away. He made it--just-- but it almost killed him and his legs were paralysed with cold for a while afterwards.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
We can also buy stuff according to what type of property we live in.
For example I live on the 3rd floor and keep this coil of rope in the corner of my room in case of fire, it's around 50 ft long and about an inch thick so will give a good grip and I'll be able to go down it hand over hand after tying one end to a table leg. I should be able to reach the street before it burns through unless i accidentally hang myself..:)

There are also various lengths and types of proper 'survival ladders' on the net in case you have to climb out an upper window if your place is on fire or zombs are trying to break in, so maybe every home should have one in every upper room-

PS- I used to live on the 18th floor of that tower block on the right (below) for several years, and always had the gnawing thought at the back of my mind about how I'd get out in case of fire, as an escape ladder or rope would have to be about 180 feet long, and I didn't have either.
Luckily there was no fire while I lived there but maybe I should have got a parachute just in case..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts