Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
is there any recommended bug out vehicle? Or mode of transportation to use when SHTF? My plan is to stay put, and not to move around too much, but I had an idea to use a variation of the American made M35A2. It's cheap and reliable, extremely durable, not quite sure if it would be easy to fix if something happened though, also it's a gas hog, but with all that space in the back, I think it could be converted to run on wood gasifier. I'm sure you guys have some WAY better ideas, and I would love to hear them.

edit: just noticed the bug out vehicle sub forum, if someone can move this post there that would be gr8

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
For the region you are in a well maintained 4WD 1/4 or 1/2 ton truck is sufficient. Luckily, they run in wild herds here, lol. Honestly though, if you have a BOL that is supplied and ready for your arrival, even a comapct car is sufficient if you are ahead of the curve and get out early.

There are a lot of factors that vary by each individual situation. If you are single your requirements will be different than that of someone who is married and has a couple of kids and maybe even grandkids to worry about.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
For the region you are in a well maintained 4WD 1/4 or 1/2 ton truck is sufficient. Luckily, they run in wild herds here, lol. Honestly though, if you have a BOL that is supplied and ready for your arrival, even a comapct car is sufficient if you are ahead of the curve and get out early.

There are a lot of factors that vary by each individual situation. If you are single your requirements will be different than that of someone who is married and has a couple of kids and maybe even grandkids to worry about.
Man this is a loaded question and yeah its been asked a million times and you know what it will be asked another million times before I die at least. This question is akin to asking "How long is a piece of string?". What works for one may not work for the other. I really have to agree in large part with what Rigged for Quiet replied. There is a lot to be said for the words of wisdom he has imparted.

My BOV is a 1989 extended cab short bed Chevy Silvarado with a 5 speed stick and a 5.7 liter engine has replaced the original 5.0 that was installed. Its a half ton and doesn't have 4 wheel drive which would be a nice to have feature. It gets between 16-23 mpg. Its handled just about everything I have thrown at it and its still going strong 25 years later. What I really like about this truck is this... This body style has been one of the most reliable vehicles I have EVER owned. Break downs have been very minimal considering it has served as a daily driver all these years commuting in bumper to bumper rush hour traffic. It has seen a lot of hard use around the farm and its done a aweful lot of towing with loads that push the limit for a 1/2 ton pick up. Its taken me trough a lot of rough back roads and rough pastures that would have gave a good work out to a lifted 4 x 4 and not left me stuck yet. But then again I don't abuse it neither and I aint stupid. Repairs have generally been pretty easy and pretty cheap too. Parts for this generation of Small Block Chevy engines are a dime a dozen and if a parts store only has one water pump in stock you can bet the bank it will be a SBC water pump for a non corvette application! Yes it has a computer since its fuel injection but its TBI not TPI and the computer only controls fuel/air/spark and very little else on the truck. It can easily have that removed and a carburator installed and then jetted to run on alcohol, propane, CNG making it pretty flexible with little in the way of mods. Trucks of this body style are pretty cheap and easy to come by with many still in pretty nice shape, so you don't have to drive a beater if you don't want to. They have enough grunt in the engine to be a work horse without being so big it needs a "in flight refueling probe" to keep gas in the tank. The 35 gallon tank is enough to give you some pretty decent range without installing additional tanks. In 25 years and 260K hard miles its had one engine rebuild (replaced the 305 with a GM Goodwrench 350) and one transmission rebuild...what other vehicle can you likely say that about? It cant tackle the terrain a rock crawler can, it wont tow as much as a dually but its handled everything as a prudent vehicle operator I am have thrown at it. Are there better vehicles, yeah I am sure there is but they also cost a heck of a lot more too, to buy and to maintain. I rest my case!

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
My BOV is a 1992 Ford 150 4WD with the smaller 5 liter which gets about 18 miles to the gallon freeway. The two tanks on it give me 36 gallons and I can get where I got to go without stopping but I carry 10 gallons extra just incase. I chose it because of the sheer volume of Fords out there making parts easy to come by and it was also most affordable. I wouldn't want to attract the noise that truck suggested in the OP.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
One is none two is one...to quote an old saying don't put all your eggs in one basket.

There are too many variable that come with location to suggest one vehicle over another. There are some general things that do apply, the vehicle needs to be well maintained, tires batteries fluid levels, no leaks etc. It should not stand out or attract attention, no neon or dayglo paint jobs, unless that's the norm. It should be of sufficient size as to afford room for passengers and the necessary gear for the trip or an extended stay.

It would be tough and dangerous to go it alone in a single vehicle...I would look to finding like minded individuals that should the need to go to vehicles arise would be travel companions. There is safety in numbers...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My BOV is a 1992 Ford 150 4WD with the smaller 5 liter which gets about 18 miles to the gallon freeway. The two tanks on it give me 36 gallons and I can get where I got to go without stopping but I carry 10 gallons extra just incase. I chose it because of the sheer volume of Fords out there making parts easy to come by and it was also most affordable. I wouldn't want to attract the noise that truck suggested in the OP.
You definitely make a good point about the noise, I should look into a Ford maybe for a second BOV

·
Registered
33 Posts
is there any recommended bug out vehicle? Or mode of transportation to use when SHTF? My plan is to stay put, and not to move around too much, but I had an idea to use a variation of the American made M35A2. It's cheap and reliable, extremely durable, not quite sure if it would be easy to fix if something happened though, also it's a gas hog, but with all that space in the back, I think it could be converted to run on wood gasifier. I'm sure you guys have some WAY better ideas, and I would love to hear them.

edit: just noticed the bug out vehicle sub forum, if someone can move this post there that would be gr8
Like everyone else, I have an opinion but you really need to decide based on your budget and needs. The idea a 1/2 ton truck will work seems short sighted. If you have to leave home plan to take everything you can't replace. You will need food and water. Start by figuring people by how many days until you reach your permanent bug out location, then ad a few days for detours and unexpected events.

Please disregard if someone posted this already.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
I hear it over and over again, basically these guys got it straight. We have a truck like lunaticfringeinc with our fleet, I have an FJ cruiser 4x4 with gear in it that is kept fueled and at the ready. Suzuki samurai 4x4 seems to be quite popular with the crowd, as well as jeeps. I would also state that a lot of prepper friends of mine on youtube like the old International Scout and Scout II's, they are heavy duty no kidding trucks that can take a hell of a beating. Hell you could have an old 86 Chevy blazer as long as you have the right tires for the job and everything runs tip top it would work. I personally like Toyotas as they tend to be reliable to a fault.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
There's always been the talk of if there's an EMP hit that the non-pcm, non-sensor ridden automobiles running the least electronics, carbureted, will be the one's still running. You've got two great shtf stories, One Second After and Lights Out that follow the premise and tell the tale of all the new shiny cars sitting there useless. I've heard other people dispute it, that the modern pcm, sensor autos are tough enough, but I don't put much stock in it. Either way, I love old trucks and even though my 92 F150 with it's V8 5.0 liter 302 is a butt kicker and pretty damn tough truck I still want an older one. I agree though, that any good 1/4 ton, 1/2 ton truck or SUV, well maintained should be a solid enough BOV. 4x4 is nice though I sold my last one which was because I found I just never used it and the tranny and transfer case on that thing was a dog.

Whether 4x4 will save your butt is questionable because so much of the US has been roaded out, but it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I think good ground clearance is a definite importance. Same as a solid suspension, easy to work on engine that is as common in available parts as possible. That's one reason I have my truck and had another 92 5.0 before it. Agreeing with Ripon, there are lots of them out there and there are a sh** ton of parts for them available. If I burn out a part on mine, I have no doubt I could find a replacement much easier than other vehicles. I would have kept the 4x4 if that damn Mazda tranny and transfer case weren't so much trouble.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts