Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm use to M16 and the AR family but they are very pricey and limited cash flow.

so I was thinking of my first semi rifle to be a sks I'm was looking them up on the web but I want to hear you guys and gals what are some good points and bad points I know it's 7.62x35 and all that

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I sure did love my sks. I picked it up for about 650. last week some dood comes along and gives me 1200 for it. I sure enjoyed that gun and I liked the smell of the ammo after it shot. I liked that rifle.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
FWIW, . . . at most of the shows or shops I've seen any SKS rifles in, . . . an AK can be bought for 50 to 150 bucks more.

I really don't like either one, . . . far as I'm concerned, they are simply communist garbage, . . . but they will shoot, . . . and were designed to be battlefield tools, . . . not for the conniseur of weaponry.

It'll cost you a few more bucks this way, . . . but maybe you can buy the SK, . . . save some coin and trade up to an AK, . . . save some coin and trade up to an AR, . . . then save some more coin and trade up to the singularly finest MBR made, . . . and M14.

It is the epitomy of wood and steel, . . . hands down no other MBR can even stand it its shadow.

Going the buy / trade route will get you protection for today and tomorrow, . . . sitting and saving makes you hope you don't need it before "then".

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
559 Posts
Love SKS's, try to steer clear of the Yugo's though. Even those are good rifles but for the small price savings you sacrifice a few key things (the chrome lining of the bore being the most important).

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Happy with mine. I have a Russian and a Norinco 7.62X39 ammo. The Chinese SKS has a chrome barrel and both shoot extremely well.
I would like to add the shorter barrel SKS Paratrooper model to my other 2.

Ps, Tapco make a 20 round magazine for the SKS and some models of the SKS will take standard AK mags.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
SKS is ok but the prices they are getting for them are way out of line for what it is

Reactions: Silverbullet

·
Registered
6,053 Posts
Was just at Scheel's, like Gander Mountain, and they had Dpms 556's for $649, BRAND NEW. Having an FFL I can order a AR for $550 cost. Yes the whole gun not just the upper.

SO WHY WASTE $650 ON A SKS. Yes I'm yelling. I've owned a few SKS's, paratroopers, Russian, Chinese etc. Back when you could buy them for $70, the machined Russian cost $99. Sure they are a nice range toy. But spending over $200 for a piece of crap like that is crazy IMO. People need to just walk away when they see prices like that.

·
Administrator
14,702 Posts
My SKS was given to me as a gift. I too would have to think real hard about paying as much as $200 for one. I can remember when they were $79.
That said, they are good rifles for their purpose. Fairly close range battlefield rifles.
Avoid the aftermarket junk like high capacity magazines, plastic stocks, optics, etc. Leave it as-issued.
But $600? Seriously? For that much buy a used Marlin Model 336 lever action 30-30, should cost less than $300 used. Buy ammo with the left over.

Like Dwight above ^ I also think the finest battle rifle ever made was the M-14. I am of the age to have been issued one by Uncle Sam. He later took it away and issued me an M-16A1. To THIS DAY I refuse to own an AR by any manufacturer. I do, however, own a Springfield Armory M1A1 made in 1994 with all USGI parts.

Reactions: Smitty901

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
There is nothing wrong with an SKS, they are dependable, quick to reload with stripper clips, and the three I have owned were all accurate enough to get 3" groups at 100 yards with open sights. (using Winchester ammo, not surplus or cheapo) but with AR's available cheap again why settle for an early design that was obsolete within a few years of its introduction. Since they can't be imported (at least I don't think they can) if you were looking at one as a collectors piece I would say go for it, but as a primary weapon you could do better for similar money. I understand some of the older vets dislike of the AR, but when I served they were absolutely reliable. My favorite, and the one that would not get left behind is an M1 Garand, that thing will put all eight in 2" at 100 yards open sights and would do better than that with a better rifleman behind it

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Was just at Scheel's, like Gander Mountain, and they had Dpms 556's for $649, BRAND NEW. Having an FFL I can order a AR for $550 cost. Yes the whole gun not just the upper.

SO WHY WASTE $650 ON A SKS. Yes I'm yelling. I've owned a few SKS's, paratroopers, Russian, Chinese etc. Back when you could buy them for $70, the machined Russian cost $99. Sure they are a nice range toy. But spending over $200 for a piece of crap like that is crazy IMO. People need to just walk away when they see prices like that.
Got to remember that is California prices, not real world prices.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
The SKS isn't the best but it is better than nothing. You can't find them anymore for $50 but what can you anymore? They are still the cheapest semi-auto rifle on the market in a large caliber. What is the other choice, Hi-Point?

·
Registered
2,797 Posts

I like the way you think Chipper and I couldn't agree more with Smitty901. I got both of mine as unissued Russian Laminated stocked rifles for 79.99. If I would have realized then what I do now I would have bought a crate of them for that price!!! Nice guns and very usefull, but considering todays prices and todays quality of imports...I would save a little longer and get a AR or better yet BUILD ONE! If you do get one, I have found they are best in their issued format. Once you start adding the 20 and 30 round magazines to them the reliability sometimes leaves a bit to be desired. Ive yet to find a decent scope mount for one too. The other issue I have found is that do to the loose tolerances between all of the manufactures that made them parts sometimes have to be filed or polished to fit properly or sometimes fit loose if they drop in. Neither of mine are accuracy queens but both will easily shoot 2 inch groups all day long. Ammo is still cheap but I promise you the prices of ammo is going in only one direction...UP! So what ever it is you get I would seriously suggest laying in as much ammo as you can get your hands on!!!

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I sure did love my sks. I picked it up for about 650. last week some dood comes along and gives me 1200 for it. I sure enjoyed that gun and I liked the smell of the ammo after it shot. I liked that rifle.
Holy crap.

·
Banned
148 Posts
I also think the finest battle rifle ever made was the M-14. I am of the age to have been issued one by Uncle Sam. He later took it away and issued me an M-16A1. To THIS DAY I refuse to own an AR by any manufacturer. I do, however, own a Springfield Armory M1A1 made in 1994 with all USGI parts.
RPD, like you it took me years to get over the M-16A1 but I did. You might rethink your prejudice and try one of the new M4 piston driven variants. They are not the rifle you remember. My HK MR556A1 replaced my HK93 as my SHTF go to rifle.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I always thought that if I could figure out how to put the smell of burnt gunpowder or nitromethane after a funny car leaves the line in aftershave or perfume I would be a millionaire.

·
Registered
570 Posts
If an SKS is your only option, it's better than some, and whole lot better than nothing. That said, there are other options for a bit more. WASR AKs shouldn't be too much more, and ARs should be coming down in price. Not sure on the budget here, but PTR-91s are in the $1,000 range, and mags for them are dirt cheap. Certainly worth a look if you're interested in a .308 rifle.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
If an SKS is your only option, it's better than some, and whole lot better than nothing. That said, there are other options for a bit more. WASR AKs shouldn't be too much more, and ARs should be coming down in price. Not sure on the budget here, but PTR-91s are in the $1,000 range, and mags for them are dirt cheap. Certainly worth a look if you're interested in a .308 rifle.
As long as it isn't assembled by Century or have a Hesse receiver it maybe OK.

·
Administrator
14,702 Posts
RPD, like you it took me years to get over the M-16A1 but I did. You might rethink your prejudice and try one of the new M4 piston driven variants. They are not the rifle you remember. My HK MR556A1 replaced my HK93 as my SHTF go to rifle.
Well, I'm at that point in order to buy another gun I'd have to sell one. And even though I've got more than 60 hanguns, rifles and shotguns I don't want an AR bad enough to let one go.
My last deal was a straight up trade - I gave a Universal M-1 Carbine for a Danzig made 1917 Mauser GEW98. (old guns are like fine wine and mature women, special).

Reactions: shotlady
1 - 20 of 123 Posts