Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just spent the past two hours throwing stars and knives at a local range.

Have to say although I am pretty much blind and am unable to throw with my glasses, I'm still pretty decent without them.

Tried a few with glasses and they get in the way or fall off. Anyone else into knive throwing?

·
Registered
693 Posts
I have never thrown knives as a hobby, you should post pictures and reviews of your throwing weapons on the boards! I've always thought it'd be good to learn how to throw a knife properly!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would LOVE to know how to throw a tomahawk! I have a set of 3 throwing knives that are a black steel type, with a paracord type wrap on them. I never threw them, just put them on my wall because they just look so cool. I want to get a ka-bar brand here soon, I hear they are very good knives.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I have a Ka-bar tactical (black) 5 3/4" blade fighting knife, it's beautiful and is just a great knife! You will not regret it.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
I'm a knife nerd, as well, but I've never thrown a knife in over four decades. The problem is not my skills, it's the town of "Milwaukee." I was born and raised there on N. 36th Street. You never throw weapons away in that section! Heck, I wouldn't throw one away now!

Having said that, I'm glad I'm still alive after throwing anything around. I got into a 'stone fight' with another six year old boy in my innocent youth and realized that "combat hurts."

·
Administrator
15,448 Posts
Let's say you are in a fight for your life.
Your only weapon is a knife.'
Are you going to throw it away, or keep it in your hand where it would be most useful?

Now, throwing knives for relaxation, or competition, that sounds like fun.

Reactions: KUSA

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Gee, RPD, I would like to add an addition to your posting. Technically, I also would never throw a knife (or any other weapon) unless the attacker(s) out numbered myself and my brothers. The position is simple and recognized. Sure, bikers can be wounded, and it's usually a "surprise attack," the result of idiots that read too many comic books. I patched from 1972 to 1976, and to my recollection none of the +50 boys of my era ever had more than bruise on their jaws or a parking ticket.

The actions of that time had our people to only carry knives. A firearm of that time would get a brother "cuffed and stuffed." So tossing a knife was expensive!

As for "useful," I must report that in those days I only weighed 140 pounds. I only had one weapon, a real deal imported Sicilian stiletto. I would never brandish that! I do remember an idiot and a garbage can cover.

The rest of this report is somewhat "murky..."

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just spent the past two hours throwing stars and knives at a local range.

Have to say although I am pretty much blind and am unable to throw with my glasses, I'm still pretty decent without them.

Tried a few with glasses and they get in the way or fall off. Anyone else into knive throwing?
I love knives and find it relaxing and somehow emotionally satisfying to throw them, though I consider that not to be a practical combat or hunting skill. For ranged weapons / hunting tools I start with bows. My go-to knives are an old K-bar, an ESEE-5 (just as good as its reputation), a Marakniv Garberg (great little camp knife) and a Spyderco folder with one of those Emerson wave beer-bottle opener shapes that also allow you to fast-open it one-handed from a front pocket. I like to carry that one in my right pocket and a karambit in my other pocket... just in case.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts