Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Mossberg 500 pump 12 gauge with cylinder bore 18.5 inch barrel and 5 shot magazine tube with the two shot plug, an accessory ribbed 28" barrel with improved, modified and full accu-chokes. There is not a fowl or mammal on the North American continent I could not hunt and it would be the perfect home defense option. It never ceases to amaze me how versatile this old standby truly is.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
If you can have only one a good shot gun would be at the top of the list. Modern day slugs in the right weapon can make 120 yard shots if need be.
Personally I may still go with some 30 caliber rifle or one of my Ar's but that would not be an easy call

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Shotgun is a versatile arm interchangeable barrels variety of ammo chokes etc. and an intimidation factor that's almost unmatched. There is a reason they are so popular.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yes, the option to put a longer slug barrel on would give it a chance to make those 120 yd. shots. Not too accurate at that range with an 18.5" buckshot barrel. .

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
If I had to live in shotgun joe's world, where the only fire arm I could own was a shotgun and the politically correct response to a threat was to run outside and discharge the shotgun in the air...Then a Mossberg 500/590 would be a good one to have. So would an 870. I happen to like the Mossberg though either is one is doable.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I'm kind of a social being. I would probably not want to live in a cabin in the woods and never interact with man kind again. Its not my nature so I'd opt for m Kimber 1911 9mm and the modified 22RL conversion kit for it. I can concel it, the 9mm gives me enough power for close quarters defense and the 22 is more ideal for small game hunting and last resort defense. I can carry about 145 rounds of 9mm and probably 525 rounds of 22LR in my pack. I'd prefer less on the 22 for the weight so maybe 300.

I should note I would opt for a hand gun so it would be concealed and I could move around a population of people without the ire of a long gun that could lead to problems.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I would just hang on to my Mossberg ATP-8. 20 "cylinder barrel, 7 round magazine, spare 28 " barrel with replaceable chokes. I would like to get a slug barrel but I haven't found a rifled slug barrel for use with the 7 round magazine tube yet.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Yes, the option to put a longer slug barrel on would give it a chance to make those 120 yd. shots. Not too accurate at that range with an 18.5" buckshot barrel. .
You maybe surprised at what a 12ga with a non rifled barrel will do with rifled slugs in it. We use them all the time nit as good a a rifled barrel but they work very well

Reactions: Verteidiger

·
Administrator
14,858 Posts
If I could only own one shotgun (this is the shotgun board) it would be an American made, preferably older, 12 gauge single shot. They almost never break, and if they do break a pin or a spring, you can make your own.
Yes, I do have an 870, and an Ithaca 37, and a Stevens 67E. But I also have singles and doubles. Each has it's place.
But my Stevens 12 ga single made some time in the 1930's will outlast them all.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm a very social creature too. I will live in an isolated farmhouse with not another human in sight in a few short years, but I'll have to get out and see folks. If there's ever a true pandemic I may want a better strategy.

I believe they make an accuchoke that is rifled for slugs and you can put it in the 28 inch barrel. I know that Remington does. I bought one for my kids 20 gauge. This makes either the Remington or Mossberg shotguns unbeatable in my book. I use an 870 express at work and a 500 at home. other than the location of the safety, etc...They are equally reliable and easy to use.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I really enjoy my Tri Star tec 12. 12ga. It is a pump or semi auto. 5+1, wish it held more, but this is one great shot

·
Registered
7,936 Posts
I have a 12 Ga 500A, and a youth 870. I like the safety design on the 500A, I like the slickness of the 870, then there's the Mossy bolts, the soon to be Pardner Pump synthetic........

·
Administrator
14,858 Posts
.......... then there's the Mossy bolts........
Yeah man! You're Old School too!.
I've got a Mossberg 183KE .410 bolt action with C-Lect Choke, a Mossberg 85D 20gauge bolt with detachable box magazine, and an H&R 120 Game Gun 16 gauge tube magazine fed bolt action. The last two were built in 1940-1941, and the .410 was made in the late 60's.
I take a shotgun with me when I put the chickens up for the night, lately it's been the 183KE, it's time to change up so the other guns don't get jealous.

·
Administrator
14,858 Posts
Can't have that. The in fight can get ugly. :lol:
Especially since they are always loaded (no kids around). :-o
Just got back from my last barnyard stroll of the night. Took my NEF 12 ga single shot and a Ruger Single Six with the magnum cylinder.
It's 11:30, time for the shift change. An owl comes about this time and sits on top of the horse fence in the front yard and keeps watch over the corral. Kinda like your avatar, only an owl. Big sucker too, he must be two feet tall just sitting there.
Man, I love the country. Life is good. :D

Reactions: Inor

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Not my first choice as a fighting weapon but as a survival gun or home defense its a tough one to beat. In fact I own several pumps and a auto loader on hand for just such needs should they arise. Its a pretty effective weapon and small game scrounger too. Ammo is reasonably cheap and pretty plentiful too even in the current ammo shortage we are experiencing at the moment.

For survival there is sure a lot to be said for the older single shots like the H&R Topper 88. Good Lord have Mercy mine is old and has been shot silly over the years and you know what? Its still kicking butt and taking names! Wouldnt feel too lacking at all if I were stranded in the woods with mine as the only weapon available to me. Mine has had a few mods made to it over the years. I have added a recoil pad and when I blew 2 inches of the barrel end off, I had a smith clean it up, and thread it for inter changable choke tubes. Later on I had it dura-coated. The next mod might include fiber optic rifle sights.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
The unusual thing I've noticed about shotguns is during this last round of panic buying, Shotgun ammo was (and still is) plentiful and available in wide variety...While centerfire ammo, like elvis left the building. Either the demand for shotgun shells isn't there or manufacturers are able to meet it...

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Previous reply deleted as I realized this was a shotgun thread and I've got little need of shotguns. I'll toss in a nice picture of my last one for fun though. Sold it because I didn't really have much use for it of course, but it was a nice shotgun.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When SHTF I won't be doing any work.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts